1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is My Burner Broken?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by rolanddes, Jan 10, 2007.

1. rolanddes

rolanddes Member

Hello everyone!

I have a QSI/Philips SDVD8441 DVD Burner in my laptop. Since today it was working fine. But today it started acting weird. When i was burning a dvd it started making a strange noise like tick-tick and after a while the noise turned in to a viyk-viyk. I really mean it. Also burning process started taking a lot of time. I was burning at 8X and even coming to %20 took 15 minutes. So i cancelled, uninstalled Nero 7.5.7.0, used cleaning tool clean all files realted to Nero, tried to clean lens of my Burner (even though it wasn't dirty) and finally installed Nero again. But the problem is still there. An abnormal slowness and an idiotic sound. I am using Win XP with SP2 installed and the media I use is Philips 1-16X (which i heard is a fine one). Also i checked that DMA is enabled (But in the log file of Nero i saw that it seems off, I do not know why. After i cancelled burning, i checked it; it was on but the log text says the opposite)

What should I do?

Following is my Nero lof file:

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

Noise coming from a burner is never a good thing. It could be the burner, the media, or a couple of other things causing the problem.

The slowness likely comes from the burner not being in DMA transfer mode. To reset:

- Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
    - Click the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button.
    - Expand IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers.
    - Right click on Secondary IDE Channel and select Uninstall.
    - Restart your laptop.

If this persists, it may be due to a bad cable or loose connection causing a communication error on the IDE channel.

Have you checked for a firmware update for your laptop's burner? Check your maker's support site.

Philips makes its own media but also rebrands media from other manufacturers. Overall Philips media is not among the best. Good media is that made by Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, and any media labeled as Made in Japan especially Sony and Fuji.

Since you're burning an ISO you might try ImgBurn. It's free.

http://www.imgburn.com

Just set the mode to Write, select the ISO file as the source, set your burner as the destination, set the write speed, and burn.

If the noise persists and the burns do not succeed with different media, I'd guess your burner is faulty.

Edit: sdded text below

There is a Roxio burner driver installed either by Roxio software or a file sharing/downloading service like Napster. This CDRAL driver can cause problems with some systems so if problems persist uninstall the software and run the Roxio Zapper:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Roxio-Zap.shtml
    http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/EE6000061

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  3. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

deleted duplicate post

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  4. rolanddes

rolanddes Member

I just restored my system to a point which i am sure very stable with norton ghost. And tried Nero cd-dvd speed test. Even though the noises are gone it took 25 minutes. Here is the result:

http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=speedpm8.jpg

Besides as far as i know Px47 is the latest firmware for sdvd8441 burners right now. And Philips media did not even once failed me. So i think it is not about media..

5. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

The media you're using has a Philips brand but was actually made by CMC Magnetics one of the low cost, low quality media suppliers. When buying Philips media, it's difficult to know exactly whose media you're actually purchasing, since they make their own as well as brand others'.

Get some Verbatim media and see if you have the same problem. Did you check to see if the burner was in DMA transfer mode after resetting? Under Device Manager, for that Secondary IDE channel it should say "DMA if available" and then underneath "Ultra DMA Mode 2".

Try some different media and give ImgBurn a whirl and see if the same problem persists.