1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my computer capable?

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by luke671, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

I really doubt it beacuse your Graphics card will hold you back

GTA IV no way

You might have a chance with Left4Dead but I highly doubt it, and suggest you check out the CAN YOU RUN IT SITE

2. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

i dont know about the former but with gta 4, no chance. even my systems wont run it and compared to yours, it's like cat and lion.

you need DUAL CORE processor or core 2 duo (bit down the performance line)

the requirements for gta are shocking, it's like they made it to match todays technology, not the majority of gamer's pcz.

the requirements are out so go have a look, just google. and the game's out dec 3rdish

3. luke671

luke671 Regular member

Thanks everyone, and this PC board is much more alive than PSP.

So I'm planning to buy an Alienware M17x laptop well I'm gonna save up to $1700+ or just buy a NVIDIA Geforce 9800M GT in the Phil and a Core2Duo 2.66ghz for a price of Php 11,000 much as a PSP! Now for some scavenging on a CPU case.

Thanks again!

4. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

wow!!! hold on, i'm sure you can spend WAY less than that and still get a system which runs gta 4 smoothly. have a look around the computer shops.

Minimum System Requirements

* OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
    * Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz
    * Memory: 1.5GB, 16GB Free Hard Drive Space
    * Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Recommended System Requirements

* OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
    * Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz
    * Memory: 2 GB (Windows XP) 2.5 GB (Windows Vista)
    * 18 GB Free Hard Drive Space
    * Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870

hold on, for recomended, um, yeah actually you probably need to spend more than your budget, the processor is about £3000 which is about $6000. lol.

just go around and try to find a pc/laptop with the recomended requirements, you wont have to upgrade for a long time with these specs.

you may wanna get the best core 2 quad processor, which i'm guessing is about 3ghz.

hope this helps

5. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

Acually, 3000 quid is waaaaaaaaaay off
    A core 2 quad q6600 processor would meet the recommended requirements easily
    Plus it can be o/ced easily to more than 3GHz

As for graphics card, go with the radeon HD 4850, as it trashes the 9800 GTX and is much much easier on the budget

If you see how much these items cost in the Philippines, you can build the rest of your pc around it

Eg, ram, hd etc.

Don't go with an alienware, a complete rip off if you ask me, much better to build a kick-ass rig in the same money, and use your current laptop when you travel (if you need to)

6. varnull

varnull Guest

Thankyou Ray.. at last somebody else who has seen through the "alienware" low end Toshiba/Hitachi/Fujitsu-Siemens nearly scrap dressed up and skinned to look pretty with a matching over hyped pricetag con.

Why avoid laptops for gaming?.. simple really.. This time next year when you need a new graphics card and god knows what else at least with a desktop you have a chance of upgrading it. Add to that regardless of the numbers most laptops have the low power (and low performance) versions of cpu's stuck solidly in them.. often these days not socketed either.
    They are built for a different use altogether.. usually running fista on the move for short periods.. not for hammering at 100% cpu for hours and hours on a game. They have an expensive habit of going bang when you use them like that.

7. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

Yeah no worries, I really used to love alienwares (when I was a wee child an didn't know anything XD) and even then only beacuse the "looked cool" they are way too expensive and have tons of pronbelms from what I've heard from owners.

I actually wanted to build a desktop but couldn't due to the 'rents (college in 2 years, why do you need a desktop....etc), so I ended up with the one in my sig. Good enough for me know, and i hope it won't go boom ;)
    After reading up little, I also know how difficult an expensive it is too upgrade laptops, Which is why always recommend that people build desktops.

8. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

prices have dramaticaaly changed. one month i searched, i found just the processor for £3000 (latest quad extreme 3ghz)

next month, a slightly less powerful processor with a complete pc and VERY good specs were for £3000. so lets just say approx, or maximum .

and yes, dont go for alien ware, they're alien technology for taking over other planets. you just want to kill people on earth (gta 4) . if you wanted to abduct, then go for it :p

you can use anything for gaming, desktops, laptops, alienware.

i dont really see the point of alienware, your not gonna look at the design, u gonna look at the monitor.

with laptops, dont expect to uograde, just buy a new one. i have a laptop and i use it for gaming. ive had it approximately 5 years. at 1st i had a battery problem cos of toshiba, so i patched it. solved. then i didnt use it for months but used to leave the power on to use the comp and charge fones. battery life REALLY short but i dont mind cos i use mains anyway. besides that, performancs is a killer. oh yeah, i had to clean the fan out too because of dust but thats it.

desktops, you'll need a new box every so often e.g. moving from single core to multi-core. or when the motherboard cant handle the amount of hard drive space but you can jus partition.

comclusion forget alienware, get whatever else you want, prefferably desktop but laptop are cool too.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  9. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

Just what I was trying to get across to the OP ;)

But one of the main reasons I say desktop the the better price vs. performance ratio compared to laptops

10. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

agreed but laptops are mobile (you can move around the house with it.)

obviously not a big factor such as cost but laptops do have their uses :)

11. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

I know ;)

I'm so used to gaming on a sofa, I find it hard to game on a desk nowadays :p

12. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

oh, what's this ray92? you LIKE laptops? :p

13. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

I LOVE MY laptop, beacuse I bought it with my hard-earned cash and its good enough for me ;D

I would love a desktop, but I am satisfied ATM, however at the same time the same amount of cash could have been used to build a rig that could humble crysis on high at a high res. ;)

14. luke671

luke671 Regular member

Excuse me great people!

Will this run World At War? please answer

15. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

For the same I reason as before I'm going to have to say no.
    Sorry but I don't think your CPU/GPU can run it

16. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

c'mon luke, have a look at the requirements and see for yourself. it's probably on canyourunit.com if you still don't know. i not heard of that game so just take ray's advice.

17. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

LOL ;)

He's talking about call of duty: world at war (CoD5)
    I'm sure you've heard of it

18. luke671

luke671 Regular member

Can you run it isn't always right you know.

I tried Far Cry and said I can't run it even at minimum but when I played it on my laptop it worked smoothly...

Just to make sure.

19. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

oh, call of duty 5! let me put it this way, i tried cod4 on a pc bit better than your system and couldn't run it. need i say more?

luke your probably right about canyourunit.com but it's usually a reliable site.

20. luke671

luke671 Regular member

Okay thanks! Before I'd even start buying it. Any other good games for my PC, the recent games nowadays?