1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my CPU burnt, or what is the matter?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hodab, Jul 3, 2004.

1. hodab

hodab Guest

Hi. I have a AMD Athlon AX2000. Today I tried to install a new hard dist so that I would have 2 hard disk. I did it and everything was OK after that. Then I tried to upgrade the RAM. It had 512 MB RAM, and I wanted to add a 64 MB, which had been working in a rather slow Pentium Celeron computer. I tried to put the RAM in the slot while the computer was on. Immidiately after I touched the new RAM to the free slot, the computer turned off automatically. Anyhow the new RAM couldn't be inserted in the free slot and it appears that it's incompatible with it. After that I put the new RAM away and tried to turn on the computer with everything like always; in the beginning it had a long beep sound and a short one after, and the lights on keyboard were on and all the fans stardet normally, but abolutely nothing on the screen. I touched the heatsink and it was rather hot. Now I can't turn on my computer, don't know what is the problem. Please Help me. Thank you

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well that would definitely be the source problem. Something (or rather multiple something's) got fried in the process.

This is probably because the mobo shorted out.

Probably not -- 64MB of PC2100+ memory is very hard to find... I suspect you've tried to jam PC133 into a PC2100+ socket -- not advisable under any circumstances

At the very least, your motherboard is fried.

3. hodab

hodab Guest

So what should I do? Is it possible that with a fried motherboard the keyboard light turns on and the fans start working? I'm very sad. I've been stupid.

4. Praetor

1. At the very least you will probably have to replace the mobo because at the least the RAM sockets are friend not to mention the 3.3V lines (the ones for your CPU fan) are also fried.

2. Given that you managed to get the ram into contact with the circuit i wouldnt be surprised the RAM is fried also

3. Now you mention your heatsink is hot ... you running a stock HSF or do you have a "fancy" one? In either case I would suspect the CPU is fried too because (a) AMD boards come with an automatic feature where the computer shuts down if the CPU temps get too high (typically 85/95°C) and (b) your CPU fan wasnt working (im guessing) which means the CPU temp would have rocketed and (c) the mobo was fried so there was no way to autoshutdown ... and if the thing was running for more than say 60 seconds ... odds are its fried -- and 60sec is very generous.

5. hodab

hodab Guest

1) you mean all the RAMs (also those previously installed) or just the 64 mb one?
    2) So now with all this masterpiece i've created!! which cheap mobo do you recommend for AMD Athlon AX2000? How can I know if the CPU is fried too? at the time of event, the fan was working.
    3) It didn't get to 60 seconds, immediately after touching the ram to the slot shuting down happended. OH god How stupid I was!!!
    4) one more thing, when I tried to turn the computer on again and again, every time the power supply sounded oddly, every now and then fainting and then returning to the normal way. the Power supply had problems before, too.

6. Praetor

1. The cheapest mobo you can get which wont compromise too much on performance or reliability is the ASUS A7V8X-X (I've got one at home and it runs nice and fine). It runs for ~$75CAD (roughly $55USD)

2. The processor is the XP2000 not AX2000 :)

3. You may want to get a new power supply. Enermax, Antec, Thermaltake are all good brands to go after

4. I would guess ALL the RAM that had contact with the socket at the time are fried -- once you get a new mobo you can test that out though

5. When I said 60 seconds I was being extremely generous -- i.e., if you're running a fancy HSF like some of th heat-pipe HSFs by Thermaltake or something like that. If you're running stock cooler than its closer to 20-25 seconds. After you get a new mobo you can test out the CPU and replace what you need to then.

6. I'd reccomend you spend some time reading/asking questions on hardware stuff like that before you head back (or pay someone to do it for you).

7. If you do end up replacing the CPU, grab a XP2500-Barton and a decent cooler :)

7. hodab

hodab Guest

Thank you very much Praetor, you're kind. I live in Stockholm and will buy a new motherboard and power supply. How many watts do you recommend for the power supply?

8. Praetor

Id reccommend at least a 400W PSU ... Stockholm... i got a couple friends who live there (or abouts there at least heehee). Glad I could help, hope things work out for you :)

9. hodab

hodab Guest

Thanks Praetor, now you have another friend here in Stockholm

10. Praetor

Kewl... and welcome to the forums! :)

11. medialife

medialife Member

Before you go and buy a new motherboard, processor and RAM, you might want to see if maybe it's just the RAM that got fried. Leaving fried RAM in a mobo and trying to boot your system produces the result you described. I'm not sure if it's possible to boot up without any RAM in there, so maybe praetor can respond to this if he sees it. If you can't, then I'm not sure how you'd test, because I wouldn't recommend sticking more RAM in there to see if everything works. However, you CAN test the ram quite easily by trying it in another system and seeing if it works. But make sure you have someone who knows what they're doing help you, because you don't seem to be too experienced in this. :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Perception is reality.[/small]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  12. hodab

hodab Guest

Thanks Medialife, I hope Praetor sees your note and responds to that. I tried the 64 MB RAM _which I wanted to add as new RAM_ in it's old computer and the computer recognizes it. I don't know if the RAMs work or have been fried.

13. Praetor

It shouldnt boot up with that.

In either case, yeah, before you run off and spend money, test out what parts are working and what parts arent :)

14. hodab

hodab Guest

Before buying, I have one more question: I tried the 64 MB RAM in the old computer and it was recognized. I mean the chip of RAM which I wanted to add to my new computer while the computer was on. I attached the RAM chip to the slot and it was after that computer turned off immediately. If this chip works, then is there any chance that the previously installed chips of RAM (2*256 MB) got fried? or do they work? I can't test them because I don't have any other computer.

15. Praetor

I (kinda) need to know the type of ram that 64MB is -- if it's PC133 -- then dont bother testing it -- when you get a newer mobo, get DDR :)

THere is still that chance, yes.

The best approach would be to replaced the mobo and then test the memory and replace if only if you need to

16. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Just a shot in the dark here, before you get a new mobo. Have you tried reseating the existing RAM (with the computer turned off and unplugged!)and then rebooting? If so, and you get beeps, check your mobo manual for the beep codes and see which one it is. There are beep codes for no RAM, no video card, etc.

I can't believe your mobo isn't totally fried, but since your fans are running, there is communication with your motherboard.

Next, I would try clearing the CMOS and see if that will get it going. Your manual will also tell you how to do that.

17. Praetor

It's odd indeed that the fans are running at all ... them things are sensitive -- but there's obviously something wrong with the fans -- for running the system less than 60seconds... if it becomes hot with the fan running (and without OCing or anything) -- that fan aint working right heehee (so it might be the fan that needs replacing rather than the mobo -- gosh! so many variables)

18. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You have that right, Praetor. It can be most anything. It could be as simple as clearing the CMOS, but in this case, I don't know what to suggest for sure. I know what I have done in the past when I have built a computer and it did not do anything, including have the fans not running. I check all of the power connections, eliminate everything out of the picture except the hard drive, memory, and the vid card. If the computer does not at least get to a video screen, I then clear the CMOS. Usually, you get a beep series, and based on what the beep codes for that mobo say, I work from there.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Bruce Wallace
    Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

3.06 Ghz Intel P4 CPU
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    1Gig Corsair 3200 LLPro DDR Ram
    Plextor PX 708A DVD Burner
    Sony CRX320E DVD 16x + CD-RW 52x24x52 Combo
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Video Card
    Audigy2 Platinum[/small]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  19. Praetor

In this case I think we can safely assume the HDD is in tact :) Not so sure about the v.c. though ... that AGP port is voltage sensitive

hodab:
    What other stuff do you have in the "potentially-fried" computer? Do you have another computer you can partially test stuff with? What are the specs on that system? We might be able to suggest some tests that can be done

20. hodab

hodab Guest

Thanks for all the help. I have two computers: The old one which I'm communicating through now, is Intel Celeron MMX 300 Mh, 128 RAM. The other computer, which is the "potentially fried" one, is AMD Athlon AX2000+ (which Praetor says it's XP2000+). It has three slots for RAM, two of which already occupied with 2*256. I'm not sure from where can I identify the motherboard, but on the BIOS I can read: PhoenixBIOS, D686 BIOS, Phoenix 1998, 051251025.