1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my CPU burnt, or what is the matter?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hodab, Jul 3, 2004.

1. hodab

hodab Guest

2. hodab

hodab Guest

3. hodab

hodab Guest

Here are gooood news friends: NOTHING is fried! ALl there works now. I tried to reseat the RAMs into the slot. but it didn't work and still one long beep and two short ones. after that, I tried to reseat the video card, and then tried again, and yes it was just one beep and booting process and ... and it was working, don't know how it was possible, sounded like a magic! Anyhow, At first, the PSU's fan didn't work, I don't know why. But after a couple of attempts it started working. The only problem remained now is that when the booting process gets to network recognition and loging in and recognition of personal settings, it gets jammed and nothing works. Maybe a software problem? I'm not sure really. What can it be?

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Does sound like magic (sort of at least) :)

You mean in Windows or still pre-windows? :)

5. hodab

hodab Guest

In Windows

6. Praetor

Well in that case, you're probably going to have-to/want-to reformat ... should get rid of the problems :)

7. hodab

hodab Guest

thanks Praetor, I'll do that. By the way, how can one become a member to Afterdawn?

8. Praetor

Sent you a PM.

But before you run off and format, something you might want to consider: plug that harddrive into the other computer and see if it powers up properly (to eliminate the possibility that the harddisk is fried) -- just make sure the system is off first! :p (friend of mine did it with a new 160GB drive with the system on and it worked out ok heehee -- but i wouldnt reccomend it)

9. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Dont you think it was a bit stupid putting ram in when pc was on. Didnt you think that you might electrocute yourself or frie your pc. Did you say you can load windows or it stops at the network screen. If it loads then te hdd is ok but if it doesnt then it may well be fried. Try praetors suggestion of putting it in your old pc, only put in the hdd out of your newer pc, if it works then the hdd is ok but if not then it is probable fried.

10. Praetor

Not neccessarily -- it could just mean the bootup section of the harddrive is okay

11. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

well once he is onto windows he can find out after running various software and if he has trouble with it then he might find he needs a new one.

12. hodab

hodab Guest

well, I don't think the hard drive is fried, because it shows the content when I put it as secondary hard drive on my older computer. This previously-supposed fried computer doesn't boot with the older hard drive, neither my older computer boots with the newer computer hard drive! In both cases after 2 or 3 screens a blue page appears which says that the gard drive is unbootable. But my older hard drive boots my older computer and my newer hard drive shows all the files as a secondary hard drive in my older computer. Well, I tried to reformat the hard drive for the previously supposed fried computer, but after I run booting from Windows 2000 CD, and after it loads the files in the very first step, it shows a blue screen saying two sentenses at two different attempts: 1) An attempt was done to write on a read-only memory. 2) DRIVER-IRQL-LESS-OR-EQUAL. I really don't know what is happening. Couldn't clearing CMOS help?

13. Praetor

Sounds like your harddisk has become read only?

Your basic, run of the mill (and incredibly uninformative) BSOD errror :)

You can try clearing the CMOS but i dont think it will help

14. hodab

hodab Guest

[bold]Quote:

Sounds like your harddisk has become read only?[bold]

I don't think so, since it says this for both hard drives, including the one I'm using now (and writing on)

15. Praetor

Slightly confused .... on the "fried-machine", when you plug in the "fried-HDD" it says gives you the read-only error?

Does it give you the same error if you plug in the "good-HDD"? If it does give you that error there are two possibilities: (1) The harddrive controller is fried, meaning new MOBO or PCI controller -- unless the PCI slots are fried or (2) the installation is givign the computer a "read BIOS" command but somehow that command is getting scrambled and the computer gets a "alter BIOS" command and rejects it... causing the installtion to fail -- meaning you should probably get a new mobo.

No if it doesnt give you that error when you try to start up W2K installation on the "good-HDD" then it would seem to be a fried-harddrive type issue.

Of course all of this could just be a symptom of scrambled -- but not fried (no pun intended) memory .. commands are being stored in memory but getting scrambled and when the commands are fetched from memory, a different command is returned

16. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

praetor i dont think he will know what you are on about. I think you will probably end up buying a new mobo seen as they arent too expensive for a decent one.

17. Praetor

Let's let him decide what he does and doesnt know .... 'sides I'm willing to explain it to people who care to listen.

You are right however -- why spend money when there isnt a reason to do so?

18. hodab

hodab Guest

matty8887, I well understood all that Praetor posted. Anyhow, now at more attempts for reinstallation of Windows, it persistently shows this error:
    DRIVER-IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL

Maybe I'd better think of spending some money.

19. Praetor

This is a generic (unfortunately) BSOD message Windows likes to pop up (very rarely will you ever see another msg in normal circumstances). So unfortunately i cant elaborate on it for you.

When does the msg pop up (i.e., how far into the installation process)? Can you format the harddrive using the other computer?

20. hodab

hodab Guest

[bold]Quote: When does the msg pop up (i.e., how far into the installation process)?[bold]

After the first step (loading files from CD) is complete.

[bold]Quote: Can you format the harddrive using the other computer?[bold]

If I can?