1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my CPU burnt, or what is the matter?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hodab, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

So everything loads, you press "Esc" to get a new installation and then press "F8" to agree to the license and then you goto select a partition to install Windows onto right? Or further? Or earlier?

I.e., if the other computer cannot format this drive then it would suggest a fried disk :)

2. hodab

hodab Guest

Earlier to Esc or F8.
    Now I'm going to format the HDD with the older computer. I'm almost sure that I can do it.

3. hodab

hodab Guest

Now I have the HDD on my older computer(ie. this computer), and I can read all of my files and even wrote a test file on it. I will now try to format it.

4. hodab

hodab Guest

NO, it's useless. The old computer didn't format the HDD, but with the old computer the HDD can be re-installed successfully. I think the problem is motherboard. Now it's 3:12 in the morning in Stockholm and I've been tired with this tricky computer. Any consideration?

5. Praetor

Are both computers using W2K or are you trying to deal with a NTFS partition with W98 or something? ... In either case if the "fried-HDD" doesnt work on the "good-computer" thats at least one potential thing that might need to be replaced: you can try and delete the partition in say, Partition Magic and then rebuild it.... worth a shot.

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If hodab can read the files on his other computer, then either the other computer has XP or Windows 2000 on it, or if not, the hard drive is not formated NTFS. The hard drive must be ok, but I am scratching my head trying to figure out what he should try to do. I know that I would try another hard drive in the "fried" machine and see if I could format it. If that doesn't work, I would try a different ribbon cable, just to see if it would work. If that doesn't work, I would put the original hard drive on the Secondary mobo connection as a master and his optical as a slave, just to see if it will find the hard drive, after the Windows disc goes through its paces. If it finds the hard drive then, I would back out and get a new mobo, because the Primary mobo connection is fried. Well, not necessarily. Damn.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Bruce Wallace
    Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

3.06 Ghz Intel P4 CPU
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    1Gig Corsair 3200 LLPro DDR Ram
    Plextor PX 708A DVD Burner
    Sony CRX320E DVD 16x + CD-RW 52x24x52 Combo
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Video Card
    Audigy2 Platinum[/small]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  7. Praetor

Well technically he could have had a NTFS capable bootdisk (or used something like Partition magic to view) ... but I didnt think of that when I posted ..,... actually I was midway through having a brain fart. :p

Yep! If i had the machine physically i could prolly figure out what needs to be replaced and what doesnt but i dont have it so not much I can really do :|

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

LOL, and amen, Praetor. We don't have his computer physically, so we can't figure out what is good and what isn't. Frustrating as hell, because you hate to tell someone who has made a huge mistake to get parts that he/she may not need.

We have all made big screwups and learned from our mistakes. I guess that that is why half the fun of having a computer is screwing it up and learning how to fix it. :) Ok, a tad strange, but it is the truth. :)

9. hodab

hodab Guest

well, both computers were running windows 2000, and the HDD had NTFS file system. Last night I tried all the ways which Grandpa mentioned, didn't work. Sounds like hdd is OK. Actually I repartioned the hdd by fdisk in DOS, but just repartitioned it, not formatted. I wanted to format it during the installation process. The thing is after repartitioning, the unformated drive can be tried to be installed and formatted in the old computer but not in the new one. Ja, big crazy stupid mistake I've done. No way, but at least I'm sure I'll do it never again, oshhhhhhhhh

10. hodab

hodab Guest

Just one thing sounds strange to me: While both HDDs had NTFS file system, and supposedly it is the mobo in new computer which doesn't work, why then the HDD files can be read in the old computer and can be written on, but it can't be formatted in the same old computer??

11. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Lots of different things that could be broken. It would probably be so simple if we had it physically. I would suggest buying something like a 6gb hdd cause they will be very cheap and you can try it on your pc to see if it is the hard drive. I think it might be your motherboard, parts may be fried on it, and your hdd might be partially damaged thats why it reads but wont format or anything. Anyhow i think you may end up spending a bit of money, but only buy 1 part at a time to solve which parts aint working. Hope you get it working soon.

12. Praetor

Better yet either get into contact with a computer savvy friend or take it to one of them small computer stores ... they can check out which parts need to be replaced -- just dont tell them what you've done otherwise they'll try and sell you a whole new computer! :D

13. hodab

hodab Guest

I've bought a motherboard and now I'm installing it. I bought ASUS A7V8X-X

14. Praetor

Awesome! Good call, excellent no-frills mobo (I've got one running an XP2800 at home). If you need/want suggestions on good, budget-oriented parts have a look at http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/93097

Just remember when you're dealing with hardware to do so when the machine is off! :D

15. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

when installing your motherboard it is best to wear a grounded wriststrap beacuse of static electricity. Or just try not to touch anything but the outer edges of the motherbaord or you could give a charge to your new motherboard.

16. Praetor

Or you can just discharge yourself with the case and not to move your feet (much) when installing

17. hodab

hodab Guest

Help, Help! I installed the new motherboard. I connected the powersupply cable, installed the CPU and its fan and heatsink, seated the RAMs connected the hard disk and CD Rom on one cable to PRI IDE, put the vd card, and fitted some of the connectors not all of them. I fitted these connectors: IDE LED, PWR, Power LED and reset. What more should I fit in? the catalogue says that this mobo should have ATX power supply. I have a CE 400W model: LPK2-30. Is it ATX? OK, after these all, I turned un the the computer, and it started. first the CPU started, and I saw no sign of power supply's fan working.after a very short while, max 4 or 5 seconds, it turned off automatically. what is happening?

18. hodab

hodab Guest

By connectors I meant system panel connectors

19. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Did the fan work when it was in your other one. BTW you should connect your cd rom to ide2 not the same channel as your hdd. Your psu could be fried.
    What do you think praetor.

20. Praetor

If you want to, the speaker (thats the big one with 3 or 4 connectors) .. not neccesary but kinda useful sometimes

No idea but I would be very surprised if it wasnt. Does the big huge 24-pin plug (the one with the massive plastic head and the clip looking thing on it), does that look like it will fit the massive plug on the mobo? (not sure if its 24 pin... im going off memory)

1. Dont connect your harddrive
    2. Dont connect your ram
    3. DO connect the CPU, Heatsink (with thermalgrease) and FAN
    4. Power up: take it slow and we'll figure it out. First and foremost, do the fans power up? If yes then we'll go from there
    5. I sent you a PM, have a look and lemme know.