1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my CPU burnt, or what is the matter?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hodab, Jul 3, 2004.

1. hodab

hodab Guest

Well, I changed the PSU, and replaced it with the older computer's PSU, which is a ATX 235W. I connected it and it worked, no shuting off. I started installing windows, and everything went well and in order. Just one thing makes me worried: the CPU (actually the heatsink) seems to become hot. I don't know how much hot is normal.
    I'm thinking of changing the present 235w PSU, to a 300w one. what do you think? I'm now writing from my newer computer with the new mobo. Thank you really for all the help.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I'd use a 350/400 PSU or bigger. This way you can "carry it on" when you upgrade in the future or something.

As for heat, gonna need some actual temperatures before I can commment. In the BIOS there should be a tab called "Hardware Monitor", what do the temperatures read (it might not be a tab but an entry on one of the "pages" i cant remember)

3. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Did you use thermal paste in between the cpu and heatsink? If not then you will have to as this will cause a lot of heat to be gone.
    I would also use a 400w psu cause if you upgrade in the furure you may need more power to give.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Xbox v1.0 with X-ecuter2 lite,EVO-X DASHBOARD,40Gb HDD,
    ps2 with magic 3.1
    3200+ AMD ATHLON XP BARTON wItH wInDoWs XP, asus A7V600-X MOTHERBOARD, 120GB HDD,256dDDR memory, pioneer 106D dvd writer, ASUS 16x DVD Drive, radeon 9200se gfx card,6 usb 2.0 por[/small]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  4. hodab

hodab Guest

1) The over shut down temperature is: 95 Centigrade
    2) This is the information from Hardware Monitor:
    MB temp.:37 centigrade
    CPU temp.:56 centigrade (I'm sure it was higher last night)
    CPU fan speed: 2311 RPM
    Vcore Voltage: 1.73 V
    +3.3V Voltage: 3.37 V
    +5V voltage: 4.91 V
    +12V voltage: 12.54 V

3) Last night when for the first time I turned on the computer after installing the new mobo, when asked to specify the speed of CPU, I specified 1667 MH for my AMD Athlon xp2000+. Is it correct?

4) No, I havn't used a "new" thermal paste. The CPU had signs of some previous paste and didn't add anything new. So maybe it's better to buy some paste for it.

5. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

The temperature seems a little high, is that temperature when its idle or after you have done something on your pc. If its idle then that is high. You are not suppose to use the same thermal paste as before, you must clean all of it off the cpu carefully and apply some other paste. This might solve your problem.

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Depends on the ambient temperature and what fan (s)he's got running in there: if it's a stock fan its not unbelievable. But also consider the ambient temp (roughly reflected by the mobo temp) ... 37°C so realistically, if we were comparing to a more "normal" mobo temp of 30°C the CPU temp might actually just be ~50°C which is more than acceptable for a stock fan. The CPUs can handle temps approaching 100°C -- not that i'd advise anyone push it that far of course heehe.

Bad idea. Two options (a) use the exact same paste as the original and you wont really have to clean off the old stuff -- even though its advisable or (b) clean off the old stuff with rubbing alcohol and put some new stuff on. You only need to coat the actual chip (the part in the middle) and only put a thinnish layer on (i.e., make it kinda translucent like ... a drop about half the size of a grain of rice should be more than enough)