1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my xbox fixable?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by Eclipze22, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Eclipze22

Eclipze22 Member

Ok so i some how deleted my dashboard (the splinter cell linux save is deleted to) my xbox still boots games and i have a dvd/cd burner on my comp is there anyway i can fix it?

2. unchris55

unchris55 Regular member

i also would like to know i have the same problem

3. cearel

cearel Guest

you might be able to try using slayers some ppl have luck with them but i havent had to use them before i dont play with things that dont need to be played with

4. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Umm if you have the demo disk that came with xbox live and boot it up it will restore the microsoft Dash

5. Eclipze22

Eclipze22 Member

i did that and it says your xbox needs service (error 21)

6. bappyjaro

bappyjaro Member

If you cant access your dashboard to put the game save back on you could use xboxhdm

7. Eclipze22

Eclipze22 Member

im like a big noob and all so i dont understand how to use xboxhdm i tried to burn it to a dvd but it didnt work can you please help?

8. bappyjaro

bappyjaro Member

what loads when you boot up?

And when you say you deleted your dash do u mean the ms dash from c?

9. Eclipze22

Eclipze22 Member

the big green x comes up and it says microsoft kinda little at the bottom. I had evolution x i think and it and my ms dash both got deleted.

10. bappyjaro

bappyjaro Member

xboxhdm is straight forward to use but long winded ie take apart pc and xbox - avoid if not neccesary.

as u said the linux save is also gone I presume u tried running the game and the exploit again?

11. Eclipze22

Eclipze22 Member

yea the save is gone. I was told something about making a boot disk is that possible?

12. bappyjaro

bappyjaro Member

not really, everything with a softmod is made to run from the hard drive-
    the original ms bios and files boot but somewhere through the load sequence the hacked files u put on are accessed, which then loads the alternate dash, in your case evox.

if u cant ftp into your box, the linux save is gone and u have no ms dash to put the linux save back there r only 2 options i know of:

1) put you hard drive into an xbox that is chipped - if u know someone with one its quite easy
    2) use xboxhdm. this means connecting your xbox hard drive to your pc and running xboxhdm. u will need your eeprom file for this or your xbox hard drive password.

using either of the above u should get access to your hard drive so you can copy the required files onto it.

I'm no expert but i'm sure the exploit u have stopped working with newer ms dashboards or updates to it.
    if u put a cd in that tried to update the ms dash that might explain u then getting error 21

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  13. Eclipze22

Eclipze22 Member

those are the only 2 ways to fix it? (is there any cheap and semi-easy way to fix it) im a total noob

14. bappyjaro

bappyjaro Member

i am still learning myself, so u should have a gud search on the net, there are many utilities and soft mod variations out there. your box is loading something to get the error 21 screen but u need to somehow put files onto it to make it load properly.
    but as I said, they will probably need to run from the hard drive so putting them on a disk probably wont help u.

I have read of slayers auto installer reloading an ms dash from similar to your situation but i have never used it. U could try downloading that first, if u can still run games from dvd drive it might work but if your box is using the original ms dash files non ms disks generally wont work.

and your only a TOTAL noob if u dont know anything, u have managed to softmod your box!

read about slayers and if that wont help you there are plenty of step by step tutorials for xboxhdm

15. Eclipze22

Eclipze22 Member

i heard if i try to get on xbox live it will update my dash and give me a new one but when i try it says my xbox needs service and i also tried burning slayers evox auto installer to a cd-rw but it wont boot in my xbox. Now what do i do?

16. bappyjaro

bappyjaro Member

Only 2 things I can suggest is as before- easiest way is stick you hard drive in a friends xbox that is chipped, it will give u ftp access so u can add new/missing files.

Or read about xboxhdm.
    Do you have a backup of your eeprom file or hard drive password?

17. dmbaird

dmbaird Member

I have the same problem, but I have no backup. Can I use the tool without a backup. The backup may still be on the harddrive now that I think about it...

18. bappyjaro

bappyjaro Member

a backup is only a backup if its ... well ... backed up.
    not trying to get your backup (ooh, bad joke there sorry)

basically your hard drive gets unlocked when it is used using the data stored in your eeprom file, unfortunately it gets locked when the box is turned off as well.
    the eeprom file IS stored on your hard drive but if you want to access the drive u need to use that data.

which is why a backup is important.

The only way round it is to hotswap ...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  19. Eclipze22

Eclipze22 Member

if i put a mod-chip (an Xecuter3) in my xbox would i be able to get my dashboard back that way? I tryed to use SlaYers_EvoX_Auto-Installer_v2.6FINAL.exe but my xbox wont read the disk (cd/rw)and i heard if i put a mod-chip in it then it should read the disk. Will it?

20. shark3226

shark3226 Guest

i have the same problem its possible right to just get another hard drive right i think it has the old ms dashboard on it right???????