1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Nero Vision Express always this slow?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ezablade, Feb 20, 2005.

1. ezablade

ezablade Guest

It's just taken over six hours to encode and burn a single DVD containing about an hours worth of camcorder footage using NERO VISION EXPRESS 3 (latest version 3.0.1.27 - Part of Nero Reloaded 6 which I bought at Xmas). Encoding took about 5 hours 50 mins and actual burning about 10 mins. Why is that? Did I do something wrong? Is there another way?

I captured the video from my camcorder into four .mpg files about 15 mins each and made a 4 chapter DVD using NVE3. I couldn't beleive it when I clicked Burn and the progress bar indicated 6 hours remaining! Sure enough, six hours later the DVD ejects from the DVD burner. OK it plays fine on my DVD player(s) and all the chapters work etc etc, but surely it must be quicker than that to produce the finised DVD. I have a reasonably decent machine (2.0GHZ Pentium 4) with plenty of memory so I can only assume its NVE3 thats the problem. I noticed afterwards that the Encoding Mode was set to 'High Quality (2 Pass VBR)'. There is also a 'Fast Encoding (1 Pass)' option which perhaps I should have chosen.

I made a couple of DVD's of similar length last year using SONIC MYDVD which came with my camcorder and i'm sure that was much quicker.

Is there another (quicker) way or other packages which I can use. I'm not bothered about copying DVD's, just making them from camcorder footage, or transferring my old VHS's.

This is my first post and would welcome some feedback. Thanks

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

That's certainly a long time compared to my experience (about 3 hours to transcode 1 1/2 hours of video). How fast is your CPU?

3. oceanclub

oceanclub Member

I'm also trying out Nero Express, and can't believe my eyes. I tried making a single-layer DVD consisting of 3 DivX AVI movies. I started it last night (2600+ Athlon, 512MB memory)... so far, 18 hours have elapsed, and I have another 16 to go! A quick sum means it's processing about 30K a second. Is is really this slow, or is something misconfigured here?

P.

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

load the mpeg2 dvd compliant files to TMPGenc dvd author (make menus / chapter points) and burn with that app!

take about 30 mins to 60 mins...? roughly but definatly not as long as yours!

----------------------------

'Fast Encoding (1 Pass)' this should be quicker! but! not sure on quality! 2 VBR is the best/better!

1 pass should halve the time roughly!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  5. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

You might want to add some more RAM, another 512MB. If not your video may get choppy and also your comp. will be slow.

6. oceanclub

oceanclub Member

Well, after it got to _35_ hours processing, and said there was still 16 hours to go, I killed this POS (the Abort button was grayed out, so I had to kill the process).

To burn DivX Avis to DVD complete with chapters, is TMPGenc all I need?

Cheers,

P.