1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is olympus a good digital camera brand?

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by dipset121, Apr 20, 2006.

1. dipset121

dipset121 Regular member

subject

2. knc512

knc512 Member

Not a bad Brand. Go with Kodak or Canon for point and shoot Photography

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  3. behrad

behrad Regular member

One thing I really like with Olympus digital cameras is the lens quality. They also have a good range of optical zooms on them.

4. kinza

kinza Regular member

Sure you can say Olympus is good when it comes to all-weather cameras. If you're just going to pick a random camera from their line, try another brand. Olympus' cameras are 50-50. Some are really good and some are otherwise. Just do your research before buying and it should work out fine.

5. ljyanna

ljyanna Guest

Em, i think Olympus is really a good brand.
    i have two cameras which are both Olympus.

6. modustech

modustech Member

Personally, I have owned an olympus and I did not think it was that great at all. Especially for a point and shoot camera. I found the settings could not handle things like low light and action shots well and the manual setup was a joke.

I have since moved on to a Canon 300D digital SLR and also a Sony DSC-H2 with the carl zeiss lens. Side by side with the factory lens, the DSC-H2 destroys the 300D in terms of sharpness and clarity etc. However if I bought a nice zeiss lens for the 300D, it would easily be 100 times better.

If you are in the market for a point and shoot camera, buy a sony with the carl zeiss lens. You will NOT regret it!

7. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

i would rather do that canon.. just bought the rebel xt. love that thing.
    but i would agree. not olympus

8. RobTaylor

RobTaylor Member

no. go with canon or nikon.

9. TeddyN

TeddyN Regular member

I agree with RobTaylor

10. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

olympus is an OK brand i prefer others such as sony and canon

11. dmai73

dmai73 Member

I own an Olymnpus Professional Digital SLR and I can say the lense produce great pictures, but the speed of the processing is SLoooow! They have bad menu tools too. Go Canon or Nikon. Cost about $200-$300 more but you won't be standing there waiting for your camera to save the pics onto memory card and miss the perfect moments. Point & shoot, go Sony. Make sure that they use the special Sony battery built for that camera only. AA batteriea will leave you stranded. I've owned 3 Sony's. Awsome pictures.

12. alafossb

alafossb Regular member

Olympus is good camera company. They're like the middle man. They don't make crappy cameras or failure models, but they don't hit the jackpot either. For point and shoot cameras go kodak or canon for easy and nice performance. Go Sony if you willing to spend some extra money and have a nice sexy model looking camera (what sony's are usually known for) although alot of time they are over-rated, they are still good cameras. If your looking at professional digital photography (SLRs) then I would recommend Nikon and Canon. Nikon is my personal favorite company because they make excellent top notch lenses, but I also get to use plenty of Canons at the video suite I work at, and they always know what they're doing when it comes to making a good camera. (and if your willing to spend quite a big amount of money on a point shoot camera, there are some really good coolpix nikon cameras). I've only used 1 Olympus SLR and it wasn't bad at all, but one thing I don't like about Olympus is that they do thigns different from the rest of the camera companies. Like how they measure their zoom and ranges and lenses for their cameras is like half of what other companies measure theirs in. So 20 could mean 40. I don't know it's weird.

|alafoss|

13. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I'm an artist...do a lot of painting and drawing from photographs but I know nothing of digital cameras ... I'd like to find one with a good strong telephoto but one that can also do really good close up work too.

I'd like to find a camera that has some really good and thorough "how to" manuals .... from the simple fundamental stuff all the way through to its most advanced use. Does anyone know if there is such a brand?

14. dmai73

dmai73 Member

I've found that there are some cameras out there that try to appeal to your type of interest. The new Sony A100 is suppose to have some really user friendly controls but produce awsome pictures with the some really technological electronics.

I was recommended to go to this website: www.dcreview.com (as in Digital Camera Review). Really good site for general review to the most detailed review of EACH camera.

15. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Thanks guy; I'll go and check it out

16. dmai73

dmai73 Member

Glad I can at least point you to the right direction. Go to the "Buying Guide" selection. You can actually select the cameras that you want and compare them side-by-side.

Looks like the new sony is a good deal. Using Minolta lenses, which is pretty inexpensive, and giving you about 22 or so selections of lenses. The biggest advantage to Sony is that they use Carl Zeiss lenses. For about $1,000, you'll have a camera and one lense that's ready for action.

17. mord

mord Regular member

www.dpreview.com should be tons of reviews to look though :)

18. dmai73

dmai73 Member

sorry, I should have more clear. Get an idea for your price range, then the brand that you want. Go to "Buying Guide" to the left side of the home page, then "side-by-side". Put the two or three models that you are thinking about and it will give you a real good idea of what features you want or don't want.

If that is too overwhelming, then just ask a BEST BUY worker... hahaha.

19. xXx

xXx Regular member

20. mf70

mf70 Member

I just moved to Olympus SP-320 from the Nikon Coolpix 2200.

I was dissapointed by the Nikon's (non) reliability. The lens extension was delicate, and all camera operation depended on it. When a light dew put 50% of the functions out of commission, I used the $150 that would have been spent on repair to finance the bulk of a new Olympus SP-320.

I grew up expecting Nikon to be bulletproof, but that was then. Current models may be reliable again, but once burned...

Reviews of the SP-320 complained of the menuing, but I have found the functions I needed without too much trouble. The camera is a moderate size, allowing easy grip and handling.

It is crucial to read the "advanced manual," as a number of important camera functions are not discussed in the basic manual - the only one that is enclosed with the camera in a printed form. I've seen a number of "user reviews" complaining of faults that are only the result of not reading the advanced manual.

The ability to go into all possible permutations of automatic and manual is surprisingly helpful. Settings are retained for all modes except its "point and shoot" setting, with four special customizable reserved modes.

Mark