1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is piracy a bad thing? Not bootlegging

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by MckinneR, May 27, 2006.

1. MckinneR

MckinneR Member

I know that piracy is legally against that law (I am not debating that) but they make an issues of like it's killing the industry, I mean if I go online and download a copy of 50 Cent new Cd how much have I really hut his pockets....What he can't buy a new Rover this week? And the movie industry, I was watching VH1 the other day and they were talking about actors kids, so you mean to tell me that if I download Mission Impossible 3 that Tom Cruise's new kid will not be able to grow-up like a normal person..... (As if they had a chance to be normal) these kids playhouse cost almost as my house but I getting off track...I don't think piracy is that bad, who is it affecting not Hollywood because for the most part the majority of the films are remakes, and sequels. And if you or I rented a movie and backed it up they still make money because the store that you rented it from had to buy it and trust me they are not paying Wal-Mart prices.

2. Dogman5

Dogman5 Regular member

On some things I agree but illegal and NO means NO. Now they don't say that you cannot tape a movie on your VCR or they would not sell VCR's or years ago when you could just punch PLAY & RECORD on your cassette tape recorder on your stereo and record a song. It all comes back to the mighty dollar and what they are losing is all.
    Let them live on what we make & then tell me we are hurting the industry!!!

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Pirates say AARRRGGHHHH!!

And I say AARRGGHHHHHH!!

50cent can go back to hustlin and Tom C can go back to his midlife crisis and bang 18yr olds for all I care, They need us (er pirates) like we need them...for simple entertainment purposes.

5. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

I think that downloading music for home use is fine but when people sell the music,DVDs they have downloaded i think that it's going over the top.

If you think about it it's not fare to make a profit of something you got freely.

But my major worry and question is: will it ever stop , will they ever close all the P2P file sharing programs?

In general i think that file sharing is OK cause the price of Cd's is totally exaggerated.I mean, 25 euros for an album is insanity.And anyway the music company and artist...are making more money then they could ever need so FOREVER FILE SHARING.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

consider these scenarios. 1: you buy a book, read it & sell it in a garage sale or a used book store. who gets the mone but you. than the book gets sold again, who gets the money than as it sure is not the author or publisher. 2: you buy a brand spanking new car & drive for a couple years, paid off in this scenario. you sell the car, who gets the money, you do, not the dealership or manufacturer.

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

moral to that story ddp is the mpaa and riaa are greedy bastards lol!!!

8. MckinneR

MckinneR Member

Ok "bunny_c" technicaly you are not making profit of something you got freely. because you have to pay the ISP for the Internet> you had to but the blank media > and then you had to buy the computer.

So why do they compalin about piarcy when they seel CD/DVD Recorders, Media, and Programs to copy media. I know microsoft should not mind when they seel windows XP for almost $200.00 a pop and then Office 2003 runs $500.00 and my company just purchesed Windows Server 2003 (500.00 and some change)

AARRRGGHHHH!! AARRRGGHHHH!! AARRRGGHHHH!! AARRRGGHHHH!!

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

thats is the only way they can stop it though new OS which is going to happen the new Vista OS IS NOT going to support CD/DVD burning software

10. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

Right!! LOL

11. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I just plan on using XP until Hollywood makes a protection that AnyDVD or DVDFab can't crack, then I may think about Vista :)

12. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

it looks to me that microsoft seems to be going really hard out of there way, to make this the most unwanted OS ever.

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

its the only way they can stop it. the box systems sold in the furture will have the hardware setup so you cant backup your CD/DVDs also with the new Vista OS

everyone better learn to run an Linux OS if you want to backup CD/DVDs in the near furture

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2006
  14. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

aabbccdd , since Vista won't let you backup your CD/DVDs , were better of staying with XP, right?

15. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I wouldn't line up to buy it, better to wait and see just how much grief this is going to give people. AD will be the first to know considering there will lots of posts.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  16. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

see....piracy isnt that bad, i would do it in a heartbeat. but like...when you make about 50 copies of one movie and sell it on the ghetto streets...then its bad. like lets use me and ddp here for a second.

[bold]SCENARIO[/bold]
    lets say i would rent a dvd and burn it.
    and then i would GIVE not SELL to ddp.
    is it really that bad?
    like i know ddp doesnt deserve the DVD because of what a bad job at moderating he does (IM JOKING DDP NO OFFENCE MEANT)

@aabbccdd
    What Happened to Adriana?? why is there the Number Of The Beast album in your sig !! :'-(

just my thought =pepsimaxx=

17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

bunny_c ,YES were LOTS better off staying with XP

and pepsi "Adriana" is getting her hair,makeup and nails done so shes taking a rest lol !!

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2006
  18. ireland

ireland Active member

Windows Vista includes copy protection
    vista1The upcoming Vista version of the Windows operating system will not allow illegal copies of music and film. The Windows XP successor will include extensive copy protection mechanisms, according to the Munich-based magazine Windows Professionell.

This includes "Protected Video Path - Output Protection Management" (PVP-OPM), intended to prevent copies from being stored on the hard drive or the contents of the RAM from being read out. PVP-OPM also monitors how content is used by controlling monitor outputs like TV ports. The "Protected User Mode Audio" (PUMA) will also prevent the illegal copying of music. Microsoft declined to comment for this article. (dpa) Financial Mirror

Windows Vista includes copy protection
    vista1The upcoming Vista version of the Windows operating system will not allow illegal copies of music and film. The Windows XP successor will include extensive copy protection mechanisms, according to the Munich-based magazine Windows Professionell.

This includes "Protected Video Path - Output Protection Management" (PVP-OPM), intended to prevent copies from being stored on the hard drive or the contents of the RAM from being read out. PVP-OPM also monitors how content is used by controlling monitor outputs like TV ports. The "Protected User Mode Audio" (PUMA) will also prevent the illegal copying of music. Microsoft declined to comment for this article. (dpa) Financial Mirror

http://www.financialmirror.com/more_news.php?id=2579

New content protection on the horizon with Microsoft Vista
    Posted by Dan Bell on 30 August 2005 - 18:54 - Source: ZDNet

ZDNet has put up an article that says Microsoft is going to prove that the PC is a very safe platform for copyrighted content. All it's going to take is for everyone and their brother to purchase their latest and greatest effort "Vista" when it hits the shelves in a couple years. The story goes into a little detail of how the new operating system could differ from XP. I say "could" because the OS is in beta stages now and anything can change. They may want to soothe content providers, that's for sure, but we all know who butters Redmonds bread- the consumer. So if you make too strict a platform you will lose to other OS'es. This is a double whammy for MS as the other cash cow they have is MS Office and they darn sure don't want people getting used to Linux and Open Office.

How does this work?
    One of the biggest changes in Vista is a technology called "Protected Video Path." This will essentially keep video streams encrypted and inaccessible as video is being sent from a DVD (or other copy-protected source) to the monitor, TV or other display. The operating system will also check what the computer is connected to (a monitor, a TV, and so on), do another check to make sure the device really is what it says it is, and then see what kind of plug, or output mechanism, is being used to connect the computer to the device.

Vista will go much further than previous operating systems in checking devices that are several steps downstream, if several digital components are connected to each other. If it finds that there is a device that doesn't respect DRM rules, or if it finds a plug that doesn't support transmission of those copy-protection rules, it might not let the video be sent through that output at all.

Boy, that sounds lovely! I can't wait to pull out my wallet for such an awesome protection for the entertainment industry! Goodness knows they can't fend for themselves with only billions in profits each quarter to pay for their flamboyant lifestyles. It's up to us to fund such endeavors against piracy by purchasing a new operating system. I can see folks calling tech support due to a piece of hardware that discontinues to work, only to find out it's not the hardware, but rather a "feature" of their spanking new OS!

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12328

19. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

@aabbccdd
    hehe i hope she comes back looking 500 % better....if not. ill be angry.. haha joking.

=pepsimaxx=

20. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

I can't imagine Vista being a succes after reading Ireland's post.
    Don't the entertainment industry have enough money?How much more money do they need?
    There must be someone who will build a software that can break this stupid copy protection system that Vista contains.Does anybody know if Vista is being a succes?