1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is piracy a bad thing? Not bootlegging

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by MckinneR, May 27, 2006.

1. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

wow....thats well....STUPID! but!! im sure there will be crackers that will crack through that in no time

=pepsimaxx=

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

bunny as i said

its going to happen to windows XP sooner or later also though updates of mircosoft XP OS "Word Of Warning" [bold] TURN OFF Your Automatic Updates!!![/bold]

3. ireland

ireland Active member

"Ubuntu",.....Linux for Human Beings

"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others". Ubuntu also means "I am what I am because of who we all are". The Ubuntu Linux distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.

A picture of the Circle-of-Friends Ubuntu login screen.Ubuntu is a complete Linux-based operating system, freely available with both community and professional support. It is developed by a large community and we invite you to participate too!

The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Philosophy: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit.

Support Options

Many companies around the world offer technical support for Ubuntu, you can find a list of some of them in the Ubuntu Marketplace. There are many support options, from free community support to full commercial support with escalation to the core Ubuntu team.

go here to get it
    http://www.ubuntu.com/

Downloading Ubuntu
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download

4. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

How do i do so?

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

click start, click "control panel" click the "switch to classic veiw" you will see an icon that says "automatic updates" click that and set it to "Notify me but DONT automatically download or install them"

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2006
  6. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

Thanks a bunch!

7. ireland

ireland Active member

aabbccdd AND all,if ye remember just b-4 sp-2

MICROSOFT SAID THAT THEY CAN TURN ON YE AUTO UPDATES...TO INSTALL SP-2...

so that tells ye they can nail ye any time they want tooooooooo

DO YE REALLY OWN XP,THINK ABOUT IT..

WORDS OF WISDOM

People are discovering that when you buy any product that is subject to "activation", you haven't really bought anything.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  8. jjpitt

jjpitt Member

Gentlemen: I agree, in general, with all that has been said.
    Two things: 1) The buying public will determine how the new OS will fair, commercially. We geeks will go elsewhere for an OS. Most of the Millions out there will buy Vista. I'll buy Linux....whatever. I'll keep my second rig to just b/u my dvd's and keep it off-line.
    2) My Auto-Update Download continues to "self-switch" itself somehow to auto download. I finally had to turn it off. Be very careful of the auto updates. None can be removed once installed. I Had Windows auto-update self activate in the middle of a DVD-RB/CCE b/u and then reboot. Lost two hours of work. Inactivation of dvd b/u's by Vista, or XP for that matter, would be very easy for MSN, indeed. Here is to the fringe element.

9. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

well with the new am2 processors i guess we could have linux and vista running together- linux for backing up and vista fro everyday.

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

good point!! i was thinking the same thing when i was reading the article on the new AMDs

11. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Wow, all this crap is going to be on Vista??? I still use Windows 2000 and my next upgrade will definately be a linux OS.

The anti copy stuff will not affect me since I only own 1CD. As for movies, I can definately live without DVDs, HD DVD, BD, etc... Honestly, the only reason I buy a DVD now is to copy it. I don't care about the movie, but copying gives me something to do. I would just find something else to do like make my own movies or games.

As for piracy, they are going a bit too far in trying to stop it. I hope everyone just stops buying all this new tech and starts to live their lives. I remember the days when I used to go out and see people. Now, I can walk 30 miles through a densly populated city and see nothing but the occasional beggar... Funny how man was able to survive millions of years without DVDs, computers, cell phones, etcc, but all of a sudden it is the most important part of our lives...

12. Godzilla

Godzilla Member

Okay, all i did was skim the replys very poorly, so if this was mentioned earlier.. sorry

South Park did a great show about piracy,
    (I am tired and probably shouldnt be posted right now, so my summary is horrible, i'll fix it up later.. :))
    Basicly Kenny tells Stan, Cartman, and Kyle that he can download free music.. so they do it. And then some police force with helicopters bust through their windows and arrest them.

The boys are being interogatted(sp?) by a police man.
    They respond along the lines of " Im sorry, I did not think it was a big deal"
    Cop-"NOT A BIG DEAL!??? WHAT!!, let me show you what you have done"

They tour houses and say that some guy(forgot who) cant get his golden shark tank until next week and he is crying. And some female singer couldnt get the brand new private jet, she had to use an older model.

The boys freak out and say their sorry and that they had no idea they were causing these problems.

Yeah as i mentioned earlier it was a poor summary, i'll try and fix it later.

13. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

yeah that episode was classic.

as for the guy with name you can't remeber, it was Larz Ulrich from metallica, metallica being one of the bands that started this whole sh*t-storm.

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah it was about that time metallica's album sales went south when they started raising hell about downloading lol

15. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

i love metallica, but the price of some of there older albums in shops is ridiculous. for instance, the brand new System of a down album costs $20($AU).

ride the lightning (which is as old as i) will set you back the same amount, in some case, even more.

[bold]and they wonder why sales are going south.[/bold]

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

e-bay is a perfect place to pick stuff like that up usally you can get them for under 10 dollars

17. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

I'm really worried about this VISTA thing!
    What happens if it's a flop?
    What happens if it's a succes?

18. rav009

rav009 Active member

There is'nt any need to worry buddy_c lol.

You either buy it or you dont,I myself won't, I didn't know about the copy protection thing.....why would I want to switch to a OS that won't allow me to back up dvd's...forget it!

I'm switching to Linux after this!!

19. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

What is Linux, i dont really understand?

20. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

linux is an alternative operating system people can run on the PC-hardware instead of windows.

here's a link that briefly explains it

http://www.linuxnewbieguide.org/chap1.php

personally, i really don't like linux.

Last edited: May 31, 2006