1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is samsung a decent brand

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by benbernie, Jul 6, 2008.

1. benbernie

benbernie Regular member

hi
    i might be in the market for a digital tv in the near future....are
    the tubed digital tvs ok?is samsung an ok brand??thanks

benbernie

2. benbernie

benbernie Regular member

hi
    i forgot to add what about westinghouse?a good brand?

benbernie

3. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Samsung is the way to go IMO. Also, stay away from Westing House! Those tv's suck!

4. benbernie

benbernie Regular member

hi
    ok thanks good......

benbernie

5. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

I second Goodswipe. And westinghouse really sucks big time !

6. killalot

killalot Active member

I’ve got a 42 inch Samsung LCD glossy piano Black, one word
    "Beautiful" only draw back likes the bloody dust for ever dusting it but she's worth it, if the missus ever leaves me she won’t be taking the TV with her :)

7. yuppix

yuppix Regular member

Digital tubes can't compare with flat panel TVs. Save it up for LCD or plasma. IMO Samsung, Sharp and Sony are on top of the list.

8. benbernie

benbernie Regular member

ok thanks guys..

ben bernie

9. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Just to add my agreement...Samsung is the way to roll.

10. varnull

varnull Guest

Tubes have one huge huge advantage.. they have no lag and no after image. Tried and tested technology.. 99% of lcd screens don't even come close. In the plasma field you gets what you pays for.. top price top end is the only real choice.

Samsung make decent products for the price. I think you will find that a tube digital from sam's will out perform any flatscreen lcd or plasma at the same price.

11. jgdrag

jgdrag Guest

Several reviews I have researched indicate Westinghouse makes a very good set and some Samsungs have LG parts in them and are not all equal!

12. empire29

empire29 Guest

Samsung is probably the brand to for HDTVs.. There are a couple manufactures that make technically better sets, but for your buck Sammy is going to get you an incredibly nice set.

13. benbernie

benbernie Regular member

thanks guys...

benbernie

14. girith

girith Member

Samsung is good

15. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

i don't know about samsung because i always demand the best. and as far as i know, sony, is the best for electronics including hdtv. they even have their own technologies in their hdtvs to give you more than just hd!!! i haven't really found anything special from samsung. if samsung users say samsung is reliable products, i'd rate them good :)

16. FBP

FBP Member

hello benbernie i just bought a 46 inch hd lcd and a hd reciever. The plasma field is not as good as you think.I have been doing this for 20 years now the plasma looks good but it won't last they are known to blow out.I guess my lcd is in that 1 percent tv is made by large.The picture is so good it looks like you could step into the tv i am telling you so again 46 inch lcd and a sat reciever also hd it is the best i have seen. Now i am new here and i mean no dissrespect to anyone .Also i think what works for someone may not be the same for some one else. Just my opinion

17. RudeDogg1

RudeDogg1 Member

sony are good for some things but flat screen tvs they arnt most of wich fail with in the first 2 years. Most of the components arnt even made by sony yet people are still p[aying through the teeth for inferiour products just because it says sony. Remember folks just because it says sony doesnt mean its gtood. Just like nike very cheaply made by kids wear out within months yet because they say nike people pay over the odds to have it

18. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

hmmm...very interesting and a point i will take on board. but for me, so far, all the sony gear i have has been quality and reliable. and if there was a problem, why don't people just take out their warranty and get a free repair? you have to remember, there will be defective products with all manufacturers which some unfortunate soul will buy. also, hdtv is fairly new technology. so i dont blame sony but it's unfortunate if sony are using cheap parts. AND, there is only about 30 hd channels, so why not let hd expand a little.

i know you mensioned flat screen, not hd. but as far as i know, hd screen are more of a problem then flat screen. i didn't even know flat screen was a problem. flat screens are supposed to be great as far as i know.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  19. empire29

empire29 Guest

Panasonic and Pioneer rule Plasma HDTVs.

Samsung/Sony are rumored to use the same LCD panels (I believe theyre actually made by Samsung) -- and both make superb high-end LCD HDTVs. I have to say im VERY disappointed with Samsung's new Touch-of-color HDTVs tho (they have a subtle red color around the edges -- ugh. I was going to buy Samsung LN52A650 LCD, but the red color was a total deal breaker for me.)

Samsung/Sony are both great LCD brands.
    I highly suggest checking out Toshiba's REGZA line.
    Also look at Sharp's newer models. (Their old models were plagued with banding issues which has give them a bit of a bad reputation)
    LG is pretty good too and actually provides ALOT of other brands with their LCD panels.

At the end of the day unless youre a total video snob all of these are going to look great to you!

20. RudeDogg1

RudeDogg1 Member

All Hd tvs are flat screens they dont sell the old style tvs in HD :s