1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is software available to create an "autorun" menu?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by charlie-x, Mar 8, 2003.

1. charlie-x

charlie-x Guest

I have some software and games for my 3 yrs old daughter I would like to put together on a single CD-R. It would be easy (for her) if a menu appeared from which she could choose a game from(with icons?...).
    is there a way or a tool for non-programmers to do this?

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

CD-R's are very cheap these days so if there is no cd protection on the discs, it would be best to do a "copy 2 copy".

Shoey

3. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

Two ways, you could write a program or a script or even make an html with links to the programs on the cd and then make an autorun.ini file(not sure if that the exact name, but I'm tire and the point still stands) or I think the program from this link will work: http://www.6bytes.com/autoruncd.html

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Or you can try AutoPlay Media Studio 4.0

Shoey

5. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

I can't sleep, so I tried and made an html file with links to some programs, it could work, if you know what the cd drive letter is you could use that and make links in the html file, to only problem is that once clicked it starts a "download" which does not really download anything, but opens to program, I think the program mentioned earlier would work better, plus you could use the 30 trial to make the cd, costing you nothing. I suppose it is good to know that you can link to a program in html. I just used Frontpage, so maybe someone with knoweldge of html(I have none) can streamline this method to take out the "download" screen and just make the program run.

6. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

One more thing, this is a free download: http://download.com.com/3000-2383-1566167.html?tag=lst-0-3
    you can oped the .acd file mentioned after installing and modify the autorun program, It took me about 2 minutes to figure out and I'm (EDIT: Removed Personally Demeaning Comment), so you should have it in no time, by the way, to open the .acd file, use notepad. This method looks promising and totally free, It is open source, you will need to be sure to put all the required bits like background and button sounds in with it, but it would work. Very customizable.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2003