1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Something Missing?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by tsquare43, Mar 23, 2005.

1. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Monday evening, I ordered the NEC3520A DVD+/-RW, 16X from New Egg for $56.99. Received the burner this afternoon (quick service) and when I opened the box, there was nothing there but the burner. No installation manual (probably don't need it), no software of any type. I have never ordered from New Egg before and was just wondering if this is the norm for them. I haven't contacted NewEgg yet as I wanted to find out from some of you that have ordered this burner if this is the way it should have arrived. Thanks.

Tom

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Was the burner listed as OEM or Retail?

3. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Not sure. How would I be able to tell? It was on the New Egg web site.

4. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Just went to the web page and it says OEM. It did not come in a manufacture's box. It came in a plastic sleeve type of baggie. Thought they might have done it this way to save space.

5. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Tsuare43:
    The lite versions of software provided in the full retail facy box versions are worthless. Installation is a snap, especially if replacing an older drive. You therefore bought the most cost effective product. I'm sure Newegg had options that included some worthless frills for a few dollars more, but I would have done exactly what you did.

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Stan is correct in his assessment, partially. :) When I got my Plextor, from Newegg, I got the Retail version, and it came with a new 80 pin cable. Not exactly worthless, IMHO.

I did not need the software. I had already downloaded the latest version of PlexTools from Plextor's site.

Also, depending on what product you purchase as OEM, the warranty may not be for as long as the warranty on a retail model of the same item.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  7. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Guys: Thanks for your answers. Was just curious that it did not come with anything. I am replacing my Plextor CD burner with the NEC DVD burner. I also have a Toshiba DVD-ROM. My external LiteOn DVD burner never seemed to work right and for the past couple of months, it won't recognize any media, be it DVD or CD, blank or burned. I have really started to hate that POS.

8. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Wouldn't you know it-- just my freaking luck! Finally got around to installing the new NEC burner and I have a problem. The computer recognized it right away, but didn't give me the "found new hardware" message. Went to my device controller and saw it was there. But when I tried to open it to insert a new DVD, I noticed the open/close button was pushed in on the right side and the drawer would not open. Guess I will be in touch with New Egg tomorrow morning and see about getting another one.

9. XNikoX

XNikoX Guest

is it OEm

10. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Yes. According to New Egg's web site, the warranty for OEM is 1 year. It shipped without any software (didn't really need any) or anything else. Just the burner and a bunch of styrofoam peanuts in a small box. Got my RMA # and plan to ship it back this morning.