1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Pioneer 108 pointless?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by agent-k, Aug 8, 2004.

1. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

The way I see it is this.

I have a Pioneer 107 with the hacked firmware. I backup-up dvd's quite frequently using Shrink/Nero.
    All my backups are done on 4XSpeed Ritek's at 8XSpeed.

As I understand it the general opinion seems to be 'the slower, the better' when it comes to dvd burning speeds, so I consider myself to be very lucky
    to have perfect copies every time at 8XSpeed.

The new Pioneer 108 is claimed to write at 16XSpeed but who is going to attempt to burn a movie backup at that speed or even at 12X. I personally wouldn't risk it, not just to save 2 or 3 minutes burning time.

The other point is the 108 is also a dual layer burner but with dual layer Ritek's costing from £7.00 each disc, who can afford it?
    I am aware, of course, that a lot of people use dvd's just for backing up data but the same question applies. According to a test I seen somewhere the 108 only writes at 16X right at the edge of the disc so the initial gains are not as great as one would hope.

I can understand people wanting to upgrade from the earlier Pioineers to the 107 but at the moment the 108 just doesn't seem a viable investment.

2. MadSkillz

MadSkillz Member

well it does dula layer at 4x instaed of 2x (45 mins to 22 mins)... later on in the future, maybe next year they will dual layer discs will be more available n cheaper.. actually on the pioneer i think the 12x speed is just as fast as the 16x..

3. 2005

2005 Regular member

I have a link somewhere that explains that whole speed burning. It showed that a 12x outperformed at 16x in writing. I wouldnt burn at more then 8x and i personally never burn more then 4x... better burns and probably longer life of the disk.