1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Problem Nero or DVD2One?

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by Aero300, May 22, 2004.

1. Aero300

Aero300 Guest

Hello I am new to this forum, I have recently purchased a DVD-/+RW drive and wanted to burn a back up of one of my rarest movie, so i Ripped it with DVDdecrypter, Compressed it with DVD2one(Movie Only), and tried to Burn it with Nero 6.3.1.16, as described in the guide here at afterdawn, now nero accepts the pre-authored files no problem in the video_ts folder, but when i try to burn the DVD Nero Freezes on the Caching Stage and i can't get out of it without restarting my computer i can burn with clonedvd but i also get a dvd-r that skips in my dvd player, any help would be greatly appreciated thank you for reading.

I am running a 800Mhz Amd Athlon, WinXP Professional latest updates, Lite-on DVDrw SOHW-812S

2. mark666

mark666 Guest

Hi
    Sounds like a bug in Nero.
    Try burning with copytodvd you get the option to burn with this using dvd2one.If you still have problems it sounds like media.
    AnyDVD/dvd2one/copytodvd.This is the fastest and most reliable combination I have tried.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Before we go blaming the software, lets check a few things. You only gave us the CPU speed of your computer. What is the speed of your hard drive (rpm), how much free disc space, and what is the total capacity of the hard drive? How much RAM does the computer have?

The software you mention is some of the best on the market. You have already given me one hint as to the problem. Get back with the answers and the forum may be of better help.

[bold]And the million dollar question, why use DVD2ONE for regular editing when one of the best tools in the world is free?[/bold] DVD2one is a good program and has some features that aren't in other software. But, DVD Shrink is one of the best all around ripper, editor softwares out there. It is set up to burn with Nero as the default. And as you already have Nero, you won't be out any bucks or run into software conflicts. The DVD Shrink is a freebie. You can find manuals here at AfterDawn and at doom9.org.

May I suggest using ISO files with the Shrink, if you go that route. At least you can do it as a test. I suggest ISO files as they are compatible with a lot of other software programs you might run into down the road. Like Decrypter in ISO write mode will burn ISO files. Also, if you run into something Shrink has a problem ripping, DVD Decrypter also rips into ISO files in the ISO read mode. Now how about that?

The sooner you get back with the PC info, the sooner we get to the knitty-gritty.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2004
  4. Aero300

Aero300 Guest

Hello thanks for your reply's, anyway answering brobears questions, I have a seagate barracuda 80gb harddrive 7200rpm with about 30GB free on my main partition, 256mbsdram,
    on a side note i used to have a quantum fireball HD 30gb, i recently bought the seagate because i thought it was the harddrive affecting nero(wasn't too expensive, it was time for a upgrade anyway), i bought the DVD-RW when i still had the quantum fireball(worst hard drive ever!), so when i installed everything on my seagate i tried it again and the same thing happened, thanks again for the suggestions and your help is greatly appreciated.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Be Water, My Friend - Bruce Lee[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2004
  5. mark666

mark666 Guest

As I suggested before try copytodvd to burn,it is recommended by dvd2one which is a great program.Nero is very buggy and has caused a lot of people problems, skipping / freezing/ Power calibration errors etc. Also uninstall in CD if you have it as this can cause conflicts. Then change your media.If your hardware wasn't up to it you would have problems ripping and compressing as burning doesn't use up much resources.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Okay,

[bold]Be sure the PC is disconnected from the AC outlet. If you aren't comfortable opening the PC case get someone that is.
    First - check inside the case for dust build up, use a can of air and carefully remove the dust. Don't be touching the circuits with your hand. Pay special attention to the cooling fan and ducts on PCs that have ducts running off the fan.
    Second, - make sure the cooling fan is functioning properly (blowing good).

If this freebie repair doesn't solve the issue you are probably dealing with a system capacity issue. The easiest, quickest and cheapest solution is upping the RAM to the maximum your board will take (within reason) Usually older boards accept 512K without mods.[/bold]

I wrote a short piece on it once, you can read below. I altered it to your circumstances. Boy aren't computers great.

Before we start, over 75% of problems like you stated are from users of older, small capacity computers. You don't hear of it too much with the larger capacity equipment on the market now.

Without being there onsite, I would say the system is getting overloaded. When you give the baby too much to eat at once, she chokes. My guess is that is what is happening to your computer.

A quick analogy: CPU is your mouth, RAM is the teeth and digestive tract. The CPU dictates how large a chunk (of data) you can bite off, RAM dictates how fast the chunk (data) can be chewed and digested (processed). Think bite and chew, how big a bite and how fast it can be chewed and swallowed.

Ever try to have several windows open and try to surf the net, you slow down and then crash with low system resources (read as low CPU - RAM capacity). XP takes more memory than 98 due to its increased capabilities (A min of 64MHz to start and stagger). Now for real world numbers, XP can't really function well at less than 128 MB RAM (preferrably 256 MB).

Your computer has 256 MB RAM, so you are at the starting level of good operation for XP. So, we are already at a resource allocation issue before one runs a memory sucking program like video processing.

Some learned folks say XP can run on an old Pentium 2 (PII) at 266 MHz with 128 MB RAM. My opinion is that it would be so slow for most things that you would want to hit it with a hammer. My old PC had a PII at 500 MHz with upgraded 512 MB RAM. (At least the poor old thing could have a chance at chewing things it bit off.) I tried XP and it slowed the system down so much over the 98 SE that I put the 98 SE back. That computer was slow burning CDs. I wouldn't even attempt trying a DVD burner in it. The point being the over-use of memory allocation (every program wants to take a bite and chew and there is limited chewing capacity for all those bites).

[bold]The absolute bare minimum for a 'one program do it all' recording program is 128 MB RAM, 500 GHz processor, 5400 rpm hard drive with minimum of no less than 10 Gigabytes free space.[/bold] That is probably for a computer with minimal programs (OS and maybe a word processor) with nothing set to come on when the computer boots and nothing running in the background. That doesn't usually happen in the real world.

Now lets talk real world numbers:
    About 75 per cent of the crash problems I've seen are from overloading a computer's system (CPU - RAM). Most of the other reasons stem from the overburdened systems, being overloaded and overheating is a prime cause. Hot CPUs shut down. You are just above the beginning threshold for using the burner with XP, hopefully you have nothing taking up memory resources like programs that load at the start/bootup. Make sure everything is turned off when you record.
    Certain programs running in the background can use system resources and cause software to experience burning issues. To disable your start up group go to start, run, and type in msconfig and hit enter, then click on the startup tab.
    Windows XP(Home & Pro):
    If you are running Windows XP you will click the disable all button.

The older memory chips are cheap now. You could probably upgrade your RAM to 512 MB for very little. RAM upgrade is the best thing a person can do for a computer and a good quantity of RAM is essential to good computer function.

To give your system a chance, go to the 512 MB RAM if your motherboard will accept it. Most of the old boards would take up to 512 MB. If you want to do more, change the processor to a faster one if it is in your budget. They make some faster CPUs that fit the older sockets, so that is a search you would have to do.

Don't go wild. Most older systems are not going to work at a lot higher CPU speeds. You are limited by the board's chipsets and the front side bus along with the RAM capacity. So 1,000 MHz (1 GHz) to 1.5 GHz would really be speeding the older computer up (If you can get that high within reasonable cost).

The hard drive is ample, just remember at least 12 to 14 GB free (don't believe that 10 GB stuff). And since heat is an issue, check the cooling, being sure to use a can of air and carefully blow out the dust in the old case if you haven't already.

[bold]Before you do anything other than a cheap RAM upgrade you need to do a cost analysis.[/bold] Your computer is not going to be as good as the $500 P4 models from the big vendors. Your hard drive and burner could probably be used in the new PC. So upgrade reasonably and if the cost goes too high, consider a reasonably priced replacement.

[​IMG][/small]

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Forgot to state the obvious. Make sure the hard drive is defragmented. The tool is part of the XP pack. The best work around would be to run msconfig. Make sure all programs are off except for the ones being used. Do not do anything else while recording, and one step at a time. (don't try to make a label while you wait). Use the simplest program possible.

DVD Shrink with Nero is possibly the simplest for one step at a time operation. With Nero loaded you don't even touch its controls. Shrink goes step by step and when you enter the [Backup] command, Nero is activated to burn as the default burner. Simple and one step at a time operation and you don't need more than one program running at a time to use those valuable system resources.
    _

[​IMG][/small]

8. Aero300

Aero300 Guest

thanks brobear i really appreciate the advice and your technical expertise is astounding, thanks again to you and everyone who replied i will post when i have tried a few things you have suggested.

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey brobear, long time ,nosee. Not too much of the Old Barton the other nite, I hope. That's a great answer you gave Mr. Aero. I learned a little myself, maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks. Too many people want to blame the software right off the bat if it doesn't work when 9 times out of 10 it's the operator or the operator's equipment. You're not just kidding about XP, man, if you ain't got at least 128mb ram freed up, forget it. Don't know where mark 666 gets nero's buggy. I ain't seen it. Whoaaaa.... Just got a thread from you. That's wild! Anyway, good job. PS-like your bear! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2004
  10. brobear

brobear Guest

All laurels cheerfully accepted.

11. mark666

mark666 Guest

(Don't know where mark 666(mark of the devil?) gets nero's buggy. I ain't seen it). Just cause you ain't seen it don't mean its not there.Lots of people have trouble with it, and I don't just mean newbies.Why do you think they have updates every other day.To iron out the bugs.Its only recently nero has been able to write fully compliant DVD video.Do some research check out some Nero forums,full of bugs, more bugs than a bug convention.

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Everybody has updates-it's called research and development. And how would you know what I've seen on my computer? I'm the one that uses it and I AIN"T seen it since I've been using it. I have seen a heck of a lot of people endorsing Nero in this forum. A lot of other programs are compatible with it also, would they do that if it was crappy? Sorry about the mark of the devil remark, didn't know what else it stood for. I apologize if I offended you. Didn't mean to offend....will edit .

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Let the brobear [​IMG]enter into the melee (bar fight for those that don't get the word).

Nero is one of the best programs on the market. They give the spec requirements up front (weiners need not apply). If one can read the specs, they will see that various functions of Nero require different memory requirements (that is in MHz and GHz for speed (CPU) and MB and GB for size (RAM and Hard Drive)). Video editing has the highest requirements and demands most from system resources (CPU - RAM). A lot of those little computers just bite off more than they can chew.

Most of the updates are to add new features. That makes a good program even better. Newer functions are sometimes added to improve shortcomings of a program. The video elements are constantly being improved in the movie industry and we are lucky that Nero improves and updates their software as needed. [bold]To conclude: Nero is a great program for computers with the capacity to use it, little weiners need not apply.[/bold]

14. mark666

mark666 Guest

bigorange no offence taken.
    I don't know what you see on your computer,how can I.
    What I meant was just because you have no trouble with buggy Nero or should that be bloody, doesn't mean nobody else does.
    As for Spec obsessed brobear, I am well aware of spec requirements for Nero / video editing etc.Having backed up over 500 DVD movies and editing,converting over 100 home movies to DVD.Are you two on the Nero payroll?

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I wish, I'll take anything they got to offer. I've sure bought enuff stuff that's gathering dust right now(refund, anyone?). Everyone's got their own way of doing things. I've been burning about 6 mo., not that long, but i've done a hell of a lot of burns in that time and for the money, and all the programs it offers, I haven't seen anything beat Nero. I'm always open to options. I just think, like brobear, that system overload maybe a big factor in these problems with nero( gotta admit it uses a lot of resources). But hey, that's what this forum's for.-PS-I also like shrink and decrypter, and they beat a lot of the stuff I paid for! [​IMG]

16. brobear

brobear Guest

[​IMG] Tech conscious, not obsessed. This is a forum for solving problems, not for airing petty grievances. I help people who need assistance, not hop on a soapbox and yell foul.

I will give a prime example of how good Nero is. I used Nero Recode2 to backup my copy of 'Lord of The Rings - The Return Of The King'. That is one high capacity movie disc, about 7.82 GB for the movie alone. So, we're talking about a compression level near 49 percent. The results were spectacular. Not looking at the disc, you can't tell which is playing, the original or the backup. Not many programs will give that kind of quality at those compression levels.

No, I am not on the Nero payroll. Wish I were. I also gave an honest review of the product. The good and the bad.

The good is that is is an excellent program.

The downside is that is can be slow. Also, it puts a heavy load on system resources. In common language that means it can't and shouldn't be used on all computers for the Recode2 function. Another negative is that it isn't free, like a lot of good programs.

There are a lot of functions Nero can be used for besides the Recode2. A PC running Shrink + Nero as the burner doesn't require as much resource quantity. So, a computer of modest proportion can use Nero in that respect. Another plus is that Nero does audio as well as video, meaning you can burn your CDs.

So, one can see why it is important to read the label, in order to see what works where.

[bold]To conclude: Be Constructive, Not Destructive
    (and I didn't use any names)[/bold]

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2004
  17. mark666

mark666 Guest

Aero300 compressed with dvd2one not Nero recode. So thats irrelevant.As you say yourself burning with Nero doesn't use up as much resources.As a mater of interest how long did it take in recode and what size screen did you view return of the king on.
    I did it with AnyDVD dvd2one copytodvd. Movie only,constant compression ratio, 15 Min's. Burn 9Min 30sec.Total time 24Min's 30sec.Brilliant results on 32inch wide screen.Yet to test on friends 52inch?I think we should agree to disagree about Nero and wait for Aero300 reply.I'm sorry you took the hump but I couldn't find any smileys.
    No names mentioned

18. brobear

brobear Guest

[​IMG]Should have added:
    The number one cause of problems with software is that people do not understand how to use it. People tend to try to use programs before reading instructions and requirements, can't or won't read the instructions, and don't understand the instructions when read.

The number 2 cause stems from the first, running software programs on computers with small computer system resources.

There are programs with problems. A good case in point is the 321 studios' X Copy program. The was a lot of software interference issues. I had a time when I first got the program. Instead of yelling foul, I contacted tech assistance and we ironed out the problems. Cool heads prevailed.

I'm always up to a good challenge and so are a number of good folks here at AfterDawn. So, we try to help those with a particular problem (like the Nero ate my machine). If a person has a problem with a particular software, we address that issue. We don't yell too bad (not always anyway).

[bold]My Pappy once told me, "Don't shoot the horse just because you can't ride it".[/bold]

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey Mark, just so ya know, I burned "the king" using 50% compression in recode 2. I have a 56" Mitsibishi HDTV, can't tell which is source and which is back-up. SWEAR One thing tho, took an hour, but hey, for that kind of quality, I can walk away for an hour. I can walk away for 4 hrs.(just enuff time to get in a quick 18 holes.) [​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  20. brobear

brobear Guest

Mark666
    I have a 6 in. pocket TV (not). The movie done on Nero Recode took a total 1hr. and 22min. The Nero burn time was 15 min.

As I said Recode takes its time and does the job right. My copy has all the functions of the original disc, with full menu.
    The movie was viewed on a 60" set and the video quality was spectacular (brilliant, crisp video and the 5.1 Dolby audio was not sacrificed). If there had been video flaws, they would have shown up at that size.

As for golf, I like it; but the 19th hole is the best.

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2004