1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is the Yamaha RX-V350 Amp Coaxial input 5.1?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by DemonT6, Jan 30, 2011.

1. DemonT6

DemonT6 Member

I have a Yamaha RX-V350, which has a Coaxial input on the back labeled "CD".

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/rxv350.html

I am trying to find out if this input is 5.1/Surround so I can plug my DVD-Player into it. I did try, but the sound was only stereo, but I don't know if this was just because I was not using a proper Coaxial cable, and just used a standard RCA lead.

I cannot seem to find any details in the manual about this input :/

I know there is a possibility that it is not 5.1, cos it is labeled "CD", but I was hoping the label was just cosmetics.

I would appreciate any help.

If it is not 5.1, then I will have to take the DVD-Player back and get one that has Optical out....

Thanks

Demon.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. JVC

JVC Active member

Since it is located as a digital input, I'd say yes.
    There are DTS cds which are in 5.1 surround. They've been around for awhile. I must admit though, that I, personally, have never seen a cd player with a coax output. I have seen them with optical outputs.

If you use a standard RCA connector, you may need to use the yellow video cable for the connection, since it's a 75 ohm cable (same as digital coax). Since the input is factory assigned, you'd need to push the CD button, to hear the dvd. But, since the CD doesn't have a video input, and you need to push the DVD button to watch a dvd, the CD input isn't going to work for dvds, unless you just want to hear them without seeing them. You can't push the DVD and CD buttons at the same time. It has to be one or the other.

3. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

my gut tells me it is 2 ch only. also, any old rca cable will work in place of a "real" coaxial cable. they are essentially the same.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Not really.........
    A digital coax cable is 75 ohms. The red & white analog audio cables are not. The yellow composite video cable is 75 ohms, so it would be better than the red & white cables. The red & white analog cables may work for awhile, but, after awhile you may have a problem with the audio dropping out, when trying to listen to something. You also may luck up and not have a problem. It's a crap shoot at best.

5. DemonT6

DemonT6 Member

Thanks for all the help guys. it turns out the CD Coaxial input is 5.1, and I am using a yellow video lead at the moment, with no problems.

It turned out to be a setting in the DVD player... changing digital from PCM to Bitstream, and vice versa, depending on the audio stream.

I have never had to fiddle with that setting before - works perfectly now though :)

It made my head hurt, having to deal with wondering whether the AVI files were encoded correctly, and whether the input was just 2ch etc - too many variables!

Thanks again. I hope this thread help ppl in the future...