1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a quicker way to convert .avi to dvd format

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by robc11, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

No. I can email you a 700 meg avi that will take cucusoft about 10 minutes to encode. I can send you another 700 meg avi that will take cucusoft about 40 hours to encode. They're both 700 meg...what's the difference?

3. SUKIE

SUKIE Member

the way i see it, the differenc would be the length of the video, that would be th edeciding factor.

it doesnt matter what filesize your converting from, the active aspect is the hours andmins.

if i have a 700 meg avi{divx} and wanted to convert it to vcd, then although i wil be reducing the quality to vcd standards, the filesize would be bigger than 700 meg, becasue we are converting to vcd specifications, which is about 10 meg per minute, regardless of the contained quality of the avi.

4. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Yer know rebootjim; while I can admire your tenacity,
    I can't
    believe your veracity.

The way I see things is, you think... this VSO program is some sort of threat to you!

A few months back when I looked at the AD guides 'bout AVI to DVD conversion, and unlike k0k0m0 I didn't even try. (a mans gotta know his limitations) LOL

seems some, other, clever folk are making you realize yours?

regards gringle

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Yes, I'm tenacious and veracious (is that a word?), and it's difficult to teach an old dog new tricks.
    I am not arguing (or trying not to) with anyone. I simply wanted to point out that saying an avi is 700 megs, doesn't give us much in the way of useful information, no matter WHAT program/method one uses to encode it.
    VSo is not a threat, it's simply one of many tools.
    My OPINION of it is not that high, because it lacks user control. That's it. Period.

6. andmerr

andmerr Guest

I think pig headedness would be a better way of explaining it.

Your point may or may not be valid but you seemed to have overlooked the questioning of this thread.
    ROBC11 wanted a quick method to speed the encoding time up so he wouldnt have to wait all day for it.I answered his question and so did a few other people.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2005
  7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I really have no input of relivance here I just wanted to say you all made my day reading this thread. It is amazing to me how people can have so much passion (polite way to say it) with one program to do something.

My best advice to ROBC11 the original poster of this thread would be to try different way's to convert your video, and then choose the one you like best. As you can see there are many ways to do it, and I'm not sure if you ever got your original question answered with all the arguing in here, but hey thats what happens in here sometimes :) So if you still need some help I have guide at my site (link in sig) called "Convert AVI to DVD" I have used almost everyway imaginable to covert my video files to DVD, and this one is by far the easiest, and fastest and picture quality is pretty darn good. In fact it produces every bit as good a picture as WinAVI. Not as good as CCE but there isnt anything out there IMO that will produce better quality than that proggy, but it does take a lot longer than most. :)

8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ bbmayo : i was pretty sure that i did give a resonable explanation for a different app to quicken up the encoding process.

Your wish is my command: remember i'm the one who just trys to make your day bbmayo.

Oh before i forget nice site (the one in your sig)

catch ya

andmerr

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah you did.. That info was basically for.. well if the shoe fits wear it :)

Yeah if ya noticed my guide is DivXtoDVD i just wasen't tryin to get involved in all the rubbish :)

10. andmerr

andmerr Guest

he does have a point though: divxtodvd is a little light on functions but hey id works thats the main aim i guess.

andmerr

11. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

[bold]bbmayo[/bold]

"wanted to say you all made my day reading this thread"
    The long winter afternoons must have flown by, at your place!

"passion (polite way to say it)"
    It's the only way it can be said!

"with one program to do something"
    You should become a limbo dancer.

The point is not the software... but the insistence of one person to repeatedly offer an answer that is not a solution, as though it were!

"I'm not sure if you ever got your original question answered"
    You seem not to have read too much of this thread. andmerr said:

"I answered his question and so did a few other people"

"have guide at my site (link in sig) called "Convert AVI to DVD"
    It's not complicated, but neither is it necessary.

One of the best features of VSO's DivxToDVD / CopyToDVD (registered) combination is that it does not need guides!

" wasen't tryin to get involved in all the rubbish"
    Then what have you posted for?

[bold]andmerr[/bold]

"pig headedness"
    It's nice to see someone else has spotted it. Did you read that part mayo?

"you seemed"
    Suggesting a multi application process, when robc11 asked to interact with one is more than seeming to overlook it!

"he does have a point though"
    None whatsoever, in the context of this thread - the context having been defined by robc11 as the need for an all in one solution!

[bold]Gringle[/bold]

"this VSO program is some sort of threat to you"
    You've got his number for sure!

[bold]rebootjim[/bold]

"saying an AVI is 700 megs, doesn't give us much in the way of useful information"
    Do not bother! Instead... how about some useful information?

"because it lacks user control"
    Who cares? Control is not the issue!

It seems impossible for you to focus on the goal of robc11, which is to have an all in one solution!

When he comes and asks for control, then such matters will be relevant.

At the moment, they are not!

He asked for a quick solution. Yours is not.

He asked for an all in one solution. Yours is not.

VSO software does indeed have it's place... where yours does not. Here!

"That's it. Period"
    Good! Allow this thread to disappear, as robc11's question has been answered, or come up with another all in one!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

We'll shut this one down before we stray too far ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.