1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way to get Toshiba HD-A1 to play Dual Layer dics?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by sam1dog, Aug 11, 2006.

1. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

I tried to play a burned dual layer movie on on the Toshiba and it would not recoginze it. Is there any way to make it be able to play it. Thanks

2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Quick questions:
    1.Is the disc a backup of a commercial DVD or a home movie burned on a DL disc?
    2.What software did you use to burn the disc?
    3.What brand of DL media did you use?

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

What type of DL disc is it, -R or +R?

Ced

4. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

Hi,
    Its a backup of a
    1.commericial dvd (True Lies)
    2.I used Dvd Shrink
    3.Verbatim DVD+R DL

It was +R
    Thanks

5. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I haven't had problems playing +R SL or DL backups on the HD-A1. I use DVD Decrypter or DVD Fab Decrypter to rip, and ImgBurn or Shrink to burn with a Plextor 716A. What burner do you have and at what speed do you burn? If the player says NO DISC - press the eject button twice to force the drive to re-read the disc.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I will put it like this, all store bought or rented DVD are copy protected. If you make a copy of the disc it won't play in any DVD player.

Have you tried to play it in any other DVD players?

If the disc does play fine in other Dual Layer compaitble players then listen to eatsushi!

Ced

7. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I forgot to say - I have AnyDVD running in the background ;)

8. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

Thanks guys for responding.
    eatsushi
    I have a Pioneer 110D. Burned at 2x
    Thankx for the tip on the eject. I'll give it a try.

diabolos.
    It works perfect on my old Sony Dvd player. No problems at all.
    I had AnyDvD on and it didn't seem like there was even a problem encoding it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  9. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

No problems here either with +R TY SL and Verbatim DL backups when I use AnyDVD, Decrypter (ISO mode) and ImgBurn on a BenQ 1650 (4x speeds). I tried older SL burns where I used Shrink and I do have a few that won't be read the first time. I tried eatsushi's method - eject button x 2 - and it works. I guess you just need to give the drive on or two more chances to read the disc. My ImgBurn backups work without any problems though so maybe you should try this software. Verbatim DL's are very good media.

10. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

Thanks I'll have to try and burning it with Decrypter and Image burn. The funny thing is that I pressed eject twice and ended up getting it to read. It played the Red FBI warning screen then switched over to the purple box stating "Can not read disc". So I tried again this time got to the main menu then the purple box again stating "Can not read disc". I'll have to try burning the other way and let you guys know. THank a lot though for the tips.