1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way to softmod the xbox for free

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by chigga102, Nov 6, 2005.

1. chigga102

chigga102 Member

I was wondering is there like a free way to softmod the xbox. Is there like a disk i can get and just insert in my xbox and i softmods it.

2. CauseLs

CauseLs Regular member

If you are willing to take a chance, you can hotswap your drive. This is done by opening both your xbox and your pc and putting them very close. You'll need an open cable on your pc to plug the hard drive in. You'll need a dashboard on your pc and a tool to read the xbox hard drive such as FatX Explorer.

You first have to pause booting on your pc by Pause/Break button after the Bios screen appears. Then you have to start up the xbox, let it load for about 30 seconds, or until it stops "crunching". Then as fast as possible, remove the data cable and plug in the pc. Leave the xbox on and unpause the pc by pressing the Pause/Break button again. Then once your pc boots up you can run FatX Explorer and replace all the C drive with the new dashboard. Be sure to back up your files and make sure the dashboard works and that the xboxdash.xbe is in the root folder of C:\.

The hotswap allows you to read the unlocked xbox. I have successfully done this before, but it is pretty risky. I would recommend softmodding over hotswapping. You have to have the original disk of either 007, Splinter Cell, or Mech Assault (Not the newer Classics versions). And also, some way to get the game saves to your xbox hard drive. So I suppose you could rent one of those games or buy and return it. But you would also need Action Replay or an equivilant product to get the file from your computer to a memory card. Those two things are really the only hardware tools you'll need. It's not too terribly expensive, around $30.

If you have any more questions about either method, there are plenty of other threads but I'd be glad to help.

3. chigga102

chigga102 Member

Thanks for the info but i would rather do that method than softmodding because none of the game stores near me have either of those games and besides i'm low on the dough and i'm willing to take the risk.

4. dikdimond

dikdimond Regular member

You can use the platinum edition of splinter cell,and get the needed gamesave from "the ususal places". If I were you I would think about the hotswap...you can make your xbox a paperweight if you don't fully understand what you are doing. Good luck with either

5. punx777

punx777 Regular member

EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

i got a agent under fire for like 7 dollars with shipping (used) but it still worked, or how about renting it?

Now, for hotswapping, (which i did the first time i softmodded my box, i ended up upgrading to krazies mod)

The best software is XboxHDM. you will need a cd burner, but its very simple,

Firstly, you will need knowlege of xbins, it is a server full of software, hacks, mods, emulators, ect.

Now in xbins go to XBOX/Exploits/Packages/UXE/ and download the only package there ( you will need winrar or equivilant to unzip it)

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=225796 here is everything about hotswapping,

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/article1045.html get xboxhdm here!

About 10 minutes into typing this, i realised that i had already typed a guide about this, HERE IT IS

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/article1045.html

6. chigga102

chigga102 Member

yeah can u give me more info on hotswapping i'm gonna have to take the poor risky guys way out.

7. punx777

punx777 Regular member

there are links and info within the links i gave you