1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any standalone player where i can play DivX;) movies

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by hoovie, Mar 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoovie

hoovie Guest

Hi,
    I'm looking for a DVD-Player that I can connect to my TV and that is able to play DivX ;) movies on cd!
    Is there anything from Sony or Panasonic or something else?
    Thx.. Mark

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Nope. Main reason is that DivX, prior version 5, wasn't a standard. DivX5 finally _is_ a standard -- or actually DivX5 is _not_ a standard, but it is now just one of the best MPEG-4 encoders (did you know, you can play DivX5 files with any MPEG-4 codec, you _don't_ need DivX5 codec for playback).

And within a year or so, we will definately see DVD players from major manufacturers that will support MPEG-4.

3. hoovie

hoovie Guest

ohh..
    well, but nevertheless thank you very much for the reply!
    it would be awesome to have such a dvd-player!!

4. dRD

Almost all the players support VCD and SVCD already, so it's not such a big deal, IMHO.

5. HBLUME

HBLUME Guest

sorry, noob here.
    so from what i understand, there is no DVD stand alone player that plays CD's with DIVX files on them. If I download a movie or tv show, and burn it on to a CD to play on my stand alone DVD player, it has to be converted into a SVCD or VCD format? Does that change quality or compression? Like do I need a few CDs for one movie?
    Thanks in advance.
    Herman Blume

6. dRD

Re-encoding lossy material into another lossy format will always make the quality worse. This happens in every possible conversion, whether it is DivX->VCD, VCD->DivX, SVCD->VCD, VCD->SVCD, SVCD->DivX, etc.

And correct, you need to re-encode the AVI clips into VCD or SVCD compliant format in order to watch those with your stand-alone DVD player -- provided that your DVD player supports either VCD or SVCD (most of them do).

Alternatively I suggest that you always try to get your claws into an SVCD version of movie if possible instead of DivX version.

7. Wombat

Wombat Member

There seems to be something that can play everything...

It is the "Multitainer" from Fujitsu Siemens.
    Never heard about it before but you can modify this thing in many ways. Stronger CPU, other graphic cards and so on. I read about it in a german forum dedicated to this piece. OGG should be no problem also.

Wombat

8. screenfx

screenfx Guest

I've thought about buying a second computer , installing a graphic card with svideo or analog output capabilities, installing wintv, and of course a DVD player, and using it on my TV. Sounds like the ultimate Digital Video Recorder to me, and it would play all formats.

9. SayYes

SayYes Member

for what it's worth, i hooked up an old P233 mhz
    HP with a gforce 4 mx(pci of cousre), a new speedy and big hdd, sound blaster live, and maxed it's mem capacity. installed win2000 pro.
    i use the system to watch divx movies in the living room. i also have the system hooked to a receiver and let winamp play mp3s on random and repeat. not many probs watching movies(as long as it's the only app running)THE point, i'm making, is that a simular system, but with a faster mobo and pro should cost around $500 bucks....good standalone divx player and mp3 jukebox., just as long as the vid card has s-vid output, and tv, a s-vid input, or u know!

10. mavo

mavo Guest

hi can anyone help i have downloaded a
    divx film i want to change to svcd so
    i can play it on my dvd player.is this
    possible.i tryed nero it just give me
    a blank disc.
    all the best
    mavo

11. dRD

mavo: Rules state pretty clearly that unrelated comments/questions _have_ to be posted in separate threads.

Anyway, try DVD2SVCD, it has AVI2SVCD feature.

And this thread will close now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.