1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any way of using my 2nd HDD without formatting it and loosing everything.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by pavel1104, Jan 8, 2007.

1. pavel1104

pavel1104 Member

Is there any possible way for me to get the stuff I saved on my 2nd HDD back, insteaad of formatting it and loosing everything. The reason I ask is because I just reinstalled windows and all my installers are in that 2nd HDD.

2. bkf

bkf Guest

Guess I don't understand the question. If you reloaded your os drive the second drive should not have been touched.

3. pavel1104

pavel1104 Member

I know, but it thinks that its the local drive.... Any way to change it back to the correct letter (It says drive D:, but b4 the format it was the F: drive)?

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

You should be able to change it by right clicking on my computer and then going it to manage. Then go to disk management and then right click on the drive letter you want to change and then it should take you through the rest.

5. pavel1104

pavel1104 Member

nvm. I found disk management.

I changed the disk letter, but I cant find a way to access the drive without losing everything.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  6. tjohns

tjohns Member

What does Disk Management show in it's bar graph details for the second drive? Your first disk probably shows NTFS, Healthy & System ... does Windows recognise ANYTHING on it from before, or is it just a RAW disk?

Trevor

7. pavel1104

pavel1104 Member

It says that the main drive is Healthy and System. For the other HDD it says Healthy and Active and its blank in the File System part. It also shows it as RAW when I go to properties.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  8. tjohns

tjohns Member

A RAW disk usually indicates a completely "empty" drive - no partitions (old FDISK-style Basic disk) or volumes (new Dynamic disks) exist ... looks like a factory-fresh drive to Windows! But you said you've given it a drive letter, so I'm a bit confused still.

There doesn't seem to be anything there now, anyway. Sounds like you might need to run some low-level partition recovery utility to get it fixed - check out the "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" (UBCD4W) ... it's got a heap of free diagnostics that might help.

Trevor

9. pavel1104

pavel1104 Member

I cant use UBCD4Win for some reason. It wont let me build an .iso because my XP cd has a version of SP1 thats lower than the required one.