1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this a good deal?...

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by joselepiu, Nov 18, 2010.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The minimum PSU stated is 500W because there are far too many units out there that deliver less power than they say they do.
    In reality, an X4 955 with an HD6850 will require no more than about 250W for the whole system.
    Memory is always better in pairs (i.e. 2 or 4 sticks) because that allows dual channel mode, which improves performance.

You play PC games with a keyboard and mouse. If you didn't know this, I'm not sure building a PC for gaming was a good idea.
    Some games can of course be played with a controller still, most in fact, but generally it is far far better to use a keyboard and mouse with the exception of racing games.

2. joselepiu

joselepiu Member

thx again for taking the time to answer my questions... well like i said before i never paid much attention to games & i dont know a thing about playing... either on xbox or playstation or pc or none of that... but i want to learn... i played some games & i got hooked... so i wanna keep playing... i played on a xbox... & since my comp died not long ago & i need one i guess it makes sense to get one for gaming & my basic comp needs... the one i build lasted me 4 yrs or so... i really need the advice from someone that knows about all this & that is willing to help me like you so far... i hope this is the case... i accept that i didnt know that pc games are played with the keyboard & mouse... i guess everybody started somewhere @ some point... lol... now let me continue if you will with the questions... if i have a gaming comp do i really need any of those?... (xbox, playatation, etc)... or it will be better to used that money on the comp?... or will i be better off buying the xbox or playstation... i just recently discover u can connect them to play online... whats it the minimum internet speed for online gaming?... once again thx...

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well to be quite honest, if you have absolutely no experience with PC games and have no reason to play them over console games, you may be better off getting a games console. It usually comes down to there being a game on the PC you want to play that isn't on a games console.

4. joselepiu

joselepiu Member

ok... this are my facts... 1-. i need a new comp... 2-. i want to play online games... 3-. i dont have any experience playing online games on a comp... 4-. i dont have any experience playing online games on a xbox, playstation, or none of those... so according to this facts... im better off playing on any game console rather than in a comp?... the games i liked r those war based ones... (Halo, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, & the like)... thx...

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well if it were me I'd go the PC route as in my mind it's more versatile, but it's a matter of opinion, and also a matter of whether there are any particular games you really want to play.
    Halo is an Xbox-only franchise as of the recent games. Assassins Creed is available on all platforms, PC included.

6. joselepiu

joselepiu Member

ok... so i guess its settled... lets build us a gaming comp... lol... but first... whats cloud gaming?...

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Cloud gaming is playing a PC game remotely on a session-rented computer.
    i.e. you don't actually run the game client on your own PC, you run the game on a PC located in a datacentre somewhere, and are merely seeing the video it generates, and passing input to it remotely. It requires a considerable speed internet connection in order to not be very latent when playing, but it is a somewhat viable alternative to playing games on your own PC, if it is completely unable to play the game itself. This of course assumes that the game you want to play is available on the cloud computer.

8. joselepiu

joselepiu Member

whats the minimum internet speed to play games?... & how can i know my the speed?...

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There isn't really a minimum speed (well there is but it's tiny), you just need to be using a broadband connection, and not dialup or satellite. Latency is the key here, not bandwidth.
    If you're in the US, open a run box (Windows+R) and type cmd
    hit enter.
    Then type
    ping google.com -t
    and hit enter, and see what the response times are like.
    If they're less than 50ms you're fine for online games. If they're between 50ms and 100ms you may have some lag issues, but it shouldn't be too bad. Over 100ms is problematic.
    If you're not in the US the result of this test won't be accurate. If you're in the UK like me, repeat the same but with
    ping bbc.co.uk -t

10. joselepiu

joselepiu Member

ok im back... sorry about that... the result says
    reply from 74.125.65.99: bytes=32 time=57ms ttl=57... & it went from that all the way up to 433ms... & it just kept going so i close it with the red x...

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah the -t command sets it to run perpetually, otherwise it stops after 4 results which isn't very conclusive. How often did figures like 433ms appear?

57ms as a baseline is OK, but if it spikes to 433 often, then you will experience intermittant lag in games, and this will apply to a console or PC.

12. joselepiu

joselepiu Member

ok... i let it ran for about 100 times... & this time it only went to 97...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry for the late response, if those numbers are only occurring once or twice and usually it's 57ms, you should be fine. If they happen a lot, you will experience some lag.

14. joselepiu

joselepiu Member

no problem... thx for your help & patience...

i started ordering all the components but i found out that the memory is out of stock... (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260&Tpk=CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)... & i found out this one... (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233132&Tpk=CMX4GX3M1A1333C9)... i notice the speed is 1333 versus 1600... you think its a better option?... thinking to buy a second one latter... i didnt find a 1600 4gb one...

also the video card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150505&Tpk=XFX%20HD-685X-ZNFC%20Radeon) is out of stock... i found this one... (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150512&Tpk=XFX%20HD-685X-ZNBC%20Radeon)... what do you think?...

i already ordered the processor, the motherboard, the case, & the power supply...

thx...

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

16. joselepiu

joselepiu Member

i guess i didnt asked u the right way... is it better to go with 1 4gb memory stick & add a second one latter?... or just go with 2 2gb & be done with it... cause this way it will be much harder for me just to kind of trow them away when i need to upgrade memory... & if i go with the 1 4gb i can just ad the second one latter without wasting anything... do u think thats alright?... also i have heard that some times they wont work if not bought in pairs... that they have to be purchased paired... like they have to be exactly the same or something... not just brand, speed, & capacity... is this true?... i found the video card that u recommended me first @ tigerdirect...thx...

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really, as you will compromise performance initially by not using dual channel memory. Either go with 2x2GB and buy two more sticks later for 4x2GB, or just go with 2x4GB to start with, it isn't that expensive any more.

Memory does ideally have to be identical, but usually you can still buy the type of Corsair RAM you used before, a long while after. Assuming you use Corsair RAM of course.

By all means use TigerDirect instead of Newegg, but although I don't live in the US and thus have no personal experience, people that I know often report back that it isn't as cheap and the customer service isn't anywhere near as good, so take that into consideration.

18. joselepiu

joselepiu Member

is it a lot of difference between 1333 & 1600?...

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's not a large difference, but it's there. However, for AMD systems you're better off trying to reduce latency. If you can find some 4GB sticks that have a CAS latency less than 9 from Corsair for a reasonable price go with them. I don't know if such memory exists though, 4GB sticks are a very recent addition to recommended builds.