1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a good HDD? 160 GB Western Digital For $89.99?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bbalzer, May 6, 2004.

1. bbalzer

bbalzer Guest

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

That's a pretty good price. I paid just about the same for a 120g drive a few months ago. Also if you are buying Western Digital that is the model to get, the one with the SE in the model number tells you it is the Special Edition with 8 megs of cache. Not only does it have more cache than the regular ones which only have 2 megs, but it comes with a 3 year warranty vs 1 year for the regular ones.

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I have a 250GB western Digital HD with 8meg. Western digital is a good company. I have also bought from Tiger direct and they have been good so far. I have purchased from both .com and .ca and they both seem good.

So I would recomend the drive, but watch out for the 139Gb barrier of most OS. What OS are you running?

4. bbalzer

bbalzer Guest

i am running Windows XP, i just bought it from dell about a month ago and didn't want to spend the money to upgrade the memory for the price dell was giving because I knew TigerDirect usually always has a lower price for anything. Is windows XP fine for the 139 GB barrier

5. Xian

Xian Regular member

Windows XP with Service Pack 1 allows you to use drives bigger than 137g. Your BIOS has to support 48 bit LBA adressing to use it too.

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Western digital also includes a program that installs on your hard drive to make it access the over limit. You may need to go to the Windows site to download a patch depeding on when you last got all the WinXP updates. I put a link up somewhere when the barrier question came up before. Do a search and you'll find it here.

Also as a general note, the Hard drive is not Memory. It is storage space!! Memory is completely different thing that is accessed from RAM chips. Or is Ram chips, depends if you can read my broken grammer.

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. We download a program to accesss over what limit? The 127GB/partition limit?

2. Technically there are solidstate drives (for those who can affort solid gold chassis that is) which is technically RAM :p

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Preator, could you buy one of those solid state drives that would be nice.

The cut off is 139GB, but in real space I tnink your correct.