1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this a good pc to buy?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by redice, Apr 20, 2006.

1. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

guys we are really going to confuse redice lol ,remember his just starting out, looks like his has plenty of options now

2. jdwinty

jdwinty Member

quick note on something i forgot to mention about the last power supply you recommended

About a year ago Thermaltake started using someone else to make their 430 watt power supply and the new one definitely shows it. Even the weight is considerably less than its predecessor which is an indication of the quality and capacitors used in its construction. You should steer very clear of the Thermaltake 430 these days. The 480 however continues to be a fairly nice power supply but they have increased the price quite a bit in the last year and for that (80+) you are better off buying Antex or Enermax.
    Related to this is the video card. While the 7600GS i recommended does not have an auxillary PS connector the ATI one you recommended does have one. While i believe the FSP Fortron can more than handle that (dual 12V rails, PCI-X, SATA power connectors, extremely efficient), i wouldn't disagree with going with an Antec SP 500 for $30 more if you were not completely comfortable yourself.

3. jdwinty

jdwinty Member

oh yeah...that NXZT case

I have a buddy who built his X2 4400 using the LEXA which is the $180 top of the line from them.

Besides a few minor issues with such an expensive case the biggest complaint he has 4 months later is the mirror finish front. He says it is a pain to keep smudge free and if you stand closer than 4 or 5 feet now it appears rather scratchy.

Something you might want to keep in mind with the mirrored finish on that cheaper NZXT you were looking at.

4. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Does anybody think this Vista will bring progress or do you think its just a hype.

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

well if you want to backup your audio CDs and DVDs its degress lol since copying software is NOT going to work with Vista OS ,its going to happen with XP sooner or later i would bet on it, so reverting back to XP SP1 or Windows 2000 or learn how to run and operate a Linux OS may be closer than we think

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Theres no real need for bold capitals, jdwinty, I can read!
    Appreciably you're new to the forums but it kind of gives the wrong impression about your post. Most posts like that tend to be along the lines of "that's complete rubbish", but that doesn't seem to be your opinion. I've been PMed because we're being a bit confusing.

We do agree on something then!
    To be honest, a 16MB buffer drive is going to be the fastest available, and I have had a few WD caviars and they're quite good.

A case being slightrly scratched is going to happen, you can't keep things nice forever, at least they'll be scratches from use, not manufacturing scratches like with this case.
    As I mentioned before I can't make wish lists because I'm not a newegg member. Tbh, we've given our friend redice a lot to think about. It is also partly down to him.

7. jdwinty

jdwinty Member

The caps were not meant in the fashion of yelling or anything, was trying to distinguish between your words and mine. I tend to respond to an entire letter instead of piecing it apart bit by bit as you seem to favor. While i am new the AfterDawn forums i spend quite a bit of time in many others (hardocp, shooshtime, etc)which vary somewhat in that replie do not require the use of Tags but instead allow you to edit and change attributes directly through use of a built in toolset. Of course i have been coming to Afterdawn for a very long time as well. Perhaps labels like newbie can give others a wrong impression about the person posting a reply, especially when ascertaining computer advice.

With respect to the Maxtor i can only say that i try not to hold onto my own attributional bias's for too long since products i found or researched to be not too good end up getting their act together (and vice versa). Maxtor however as a major hard drive manufacturer continues to have the highest return rate in the industry and has been noted many times in the past for bearing issues that cause horrible vibration problems in their DiamondMax line. Go to any major hardware reveiw site and you will notice almost no reviews of maxtor drives but tons of them on seagate, western digital,,,,even Samsung. They are not noted for any real innovation. Recently i bought a Maxtor because the deal was good to pass up (200 gigs for $60). It had the bearing problem, vibrated to holy hell and while it would recognize, writing or reading to/from the drive was a nasty experience. From previous experience i thought Maxtor had great RMA procedures having long ago RMA'd one and getting replacement in less than 2 weeks. This one however...close to six weeks! Maybe you would like to give me $60 for the this 200 gig Maxtor i received from them on that RMA(SATA)? I suppose you could say that out of virtually all of the computer components i have worked with that Maxtor hard drives are beaten only by Chaintech video cards in terms of my scorn. I am however aware this is partly biased by my own personal experience with the drives and that every hard drive will one day fail and certainly have experienced or seen failures with many other brands. The same with most people, one guy loves this while another can't stand it.

The Twins/My Babies
    http://www.jdigs.com/building_a_beast.htm

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, it's a pain moving from one forum to another when you're like "Platinum member" to become "newbie". Sometimes I do find myself a little annoyed with the simplicity of the AD messaging system, but I get used to it. A load of smilies and the like all over the place can be irritating.

My Maxtor drive is running OK atm (cross fingers) but they aren't renowned for quiet operations and I have heard about the issues with them as well. I wonder what will happen after they get taken over by Seagate in a month or so's time.

What's so horrific about Chaintech?

Lol, nice!

9. jdwinty

jdwinty Member

I have had two personal experiences involving 5 RMAs of Chaintec video cards....and witnessed or handled RMAs for other people that had them....these were when 5700s were the bomb. They have really really lousy technical support. I ended up eating the cost of one card for a system i built because it was 3 months old and out of neweggs 30 day replacement (back then). Chaintec was horrible to deal with and even though i finally got an RMA...i never received a replacement video card back. There were tons of usenet discussion forums coming down hard on multiple problems with their video cards and motherboards at the time (so i was not alone). Several reviews i have read concerning Chaintec equipment makes it seem they haven't dealt with their quality control problems and so I finally just washed my hands of ever having anything to do with them. I had problems early with NEC DVD Drives and now use them almost exclusively in every computer build i do. Sometimes you have an issue with a company but the company is not too shabby. When the Antec TruePower was having trouble with NForce Ultra boards (mostly the DFI LanParty Ultra) it became obvious their power supply had a problem but Antec was cool about it and getting a different model was no problem and they were fairly fast. I think it is great that Seagate is taking over Maxtor.....they are number one, quite innovative and can breathe some needed life into the issues Maxtor has had. Hitachi did that with IBM even though they have staled as of late. I just wonder if Maxtors will continue to be the least expensive drive out there after this is done or maybe they will relegate those inexpensive models into those markets where cost is a big factor (outside of PCs, DVRs, Game Consoles, etc)

10. jdwinty

jdwinty Member

yeah...my two X2 4400 are my babies.

Doing two rips or even two burns at the same time is not a problem and you really see it when you are doing multiple transfers at the same time. My COD2 play is just plain awesome and i really prefer using a Raptor for the main drive instead of a Raid 0 setup. I still use my other A64 3700+ system (the black armor all the way down on that page...i painted the inside the same time i built those other two) as my main PC for my website and email and such. I really should Ebay/sell it since one of my babies just sits there unused while the other one is for gaming mainly.

I tell you this...you ever get a chance to use a high end case...check out that Gigabyte Aurora. It is awesome through and through, 3 120mm Blue LED fans (low noise ones too), great cable routing possibilities, plenty of room and great airflow. My 4400s run 32 and 31 degrees celcius respectively.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

jdwinty: It looks interesting, but at the moment my heart's still set on the NZXT Lexa. Sounds like you have similar ideas to me, I'm looking at an X2 4200+ and a Raptor as my main hard disk.
    Didn't seagate recently make a 750GB hard disk?

12. Wild9

Wild9 Member

Guys,

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Does DVD Shrink utilize dual-core technology? I am desperate to decrease my transcoding times and was considering the Athlon64 x2. Thank you.

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes you can use dvd shrink with a dual-core cpu . iam using a AMD Opteron 175 Demark and it works fine

14. redice

redice Regular member

what about clonedvd2 and DVDFab Express?
    also gald to see that my thread is still alive.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol just about, one page of messages in three months, but hey.

16. redice

redice Regular member

@sammorris

yeah i know but the custom build pc is great and it can always been upgrade. no more store brought pcs for me lol.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

18. Wild9

Wild9 Member

Thanks for your reply.

To be honest I have always bought & built my own systems, the same for close friends. If something goes wrong I have myself and the internet to rely on.

But I stopped doing PC's for friends because it's like a ball and chain; they want never-ending after-sales support even when they infect their machines or let their kids kick the hell out of a PC case. I just spec a system and leave it to them.

The greatest reward for me is building and upgrading - I also recommend it and I learned so much. It was more straightforward than I ever thought although previously I was into electronics engineering. It is amazing what you can get for your money these days although as mentioned, for games you simply do not want to skimp on the graphics card else you will be wasting your time.

19. Wild9

Wild9 Member

If you want games and are on a strict budget, consider dropping to a lower-specced CPU like the 3000+ and a kick-ass graphics card together with a decent amount of RAM. The Athlon64 3000+ can overclock well anyway (either S939 or AM2).

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can't buy a 3000+ for AM2, last I heard. I'd recommend the 3500+, they're quite cheap still, and OC well too.