1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a virus?

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Ghoul66, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Ghoul66

Ghoul66 Member

I'm running Windows 8.1. This began a few days ago. All of my video files suddenly stop playing after 10-15 minutes. It happens to all file formats. At first I thought it was a problem with Kodi, but it's doing it in VLC as well. I use AVG, CCleaner, and Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes recently found a malicious file and I deleted it. I have used CCleaner to attempt to clean up my computer and also ran a whole system scan with AVG which found nothing. The only other thing that I've done recently was allow MS to download Windows 10 but I haven't installed it yet.

Since I wrote this I went back into Malwarebytes and discovered that I didn't delete the aforementioned file. It is quarantined. Here is a screenshot:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have you tried a system restore to before this problem started?

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Did you try a system restore????

If you have had no joy, then fire me a Log and I'll see if you have a malware or virus:

[​IMG] Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.
    • Right-click on [​IMG] icon and select [​IMG] Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Make sure that Addition option is checked.
    • Press Scan button and wait.
    • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
    Please attach both logs to your next reply.

omendata likes this.
  4. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

FRST is just a reporting tool?

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

You got it! It don't change anything just shows what you have. Not personal files, just the OS, programs and reg entries. Places where malware hides...

6. Ghoul66

Ghoul66 Member

I'm sorry for taking so long to respond. I discovered what the problem is. It is my external speaker system which is going bad. It shuts itself off for no reason and without warning. When that happens, whatever I'm watching shuts off as well. I have since started using the speakers on my TV and it hasn't happened since I made this change. I guess it's time to upgrade my speakers.

P.S. I did do the system restore and it was still doing it after that, but before I discovered what the source of the problem was.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Glad you found the problem... :)
    Hardware problems are very hard to track down at times......