1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this card any good?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Linnear, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Linnear

Linnear Member

A few years ago, I got a ATI TV Wonder VE at Zellers, for I wanted to transfer some VHS tapes to either a CD or DVD. I never really got into it at that time but still have this card kicking around. I now have a P4 3.0 GHz system with 1 GB of RAM and was wondering if this ATI card, which has coaxial and composite inputs and piggy-backs onto the sound card, is ok to successfully transfer from vhs. The program that came with it leaves alot to be desired, so I am also wondering what would be some good software to try with this card....or should I shop around for a better tv tuner/vid capture card? Thanks for any input.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  3. Minion

Minion Senior member

Also if you are useing the "ATI TV Wonder VE" do not use the Drivers that Come with the Card....Look for Genaric drivers for you card called "BTWinCap Drivers" these drivers are MUCH better than the ATI drivers because the ATI drivers are Crippled so you can only capture at a Max resolution of 640+272 in Mono, were the BTWinCap drivers will let you capture at up to 720+576 in Sterio and these drivers aren"t Buggy like the ATI drivers are....

Cheers

4. Linnear

Linnear Member

Ok, thanks for the heads up about the drivers, I will install them and will let you know how it works.

5. Linnear

Linnear Member

Well, so much for that effort...I install the card and install drivers, I get audio but no video. I have a CATV and Composite out on the card as well as an audio out.I tried with the cable connected via the VCR to the card, as well as having the Composite connected...then tried just having the composite connected. No luck any which way. The software will auto detect any cable stations during the Initialization, but it did not detect nothing. This was a split off of my main cable, so no idea why its not detecting any signal. Anyone else have this kind of dilemma??

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Try posting your problem at www.tv-cards.com in the forum there.
    You'll get much more help.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

What Capture software are you useing?? and have you selected the Correct Input on the card Like for TV select the "Tuner" and for the RCA Input you select "Composite" ect...You also have to select the capture device in the Device settings...

Have you Tried Differant Colorspaces?? and have you tried to capture with Overlay enabled/Disabled..
    Have you checked your Device Manager to make sure the drivers for the Card are Installed and Working properly??

8. Linnear

Linnear Member

Taking the above advice, I had uninstalled the ATI drivers and got the generic btwincap drivers. Have since moved my puter and set it all up again. I also installed a new video card from ASUS Radeon 9200SE and on the install cd among other things was the prog ASUS Digital VCR, well now when I start the digital vcr program it comes up with a

put_CountryCode Error

and it acts really funky, none of the channels are corresponding to what they should be and the frequency of each channel is off and even though there is a method in place to adjust this..it makes no difference.

Any ideas guys?