1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this Encoding time normal?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by fdklana, May 10, 2002.

1. fdklana

fdklana Member

Hi, I just joined the discussion and would like to expain my situation. I am currently tring to make a divx movie using the guide provided on this site. My question is it looks like its taking a lot of time to encode the movie, its already almost 6 hours since i started the first pass and only 25 percent is done :(.

Here is my cpu speed:
    PIII 450, 256ram...
    Is this normal speed encoding for a 450 pc using the guide 16:9 for divx5?

According to what i understand it might take 24 hours to finish one pass!!! (thats kind of crazy isn't it?)

2. fdklana

fdklana Member

I have seen that a lot of people are complaining about how the 5.01 is jaging when played....i had a similar problem but when i replaced it with a non pro version it was working fine. I just got the 5.01. I am encoding again this time using the non pro version it's going a heck faster now...it should be finished in 12 hours..thats more like it.....:) If anyone likes to replay to this post please do so, i would be happy to read it.

3. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

fdklana: wow 6 hours thats still really rough I have a 466mhz with 265 ram (this is my second computer ) The hard drive is a 10 gig 7200rpm which helps. I use tmpgenc at the high quality setting and when encoding 60 minutes of video it only takes me three hours.....My main computer is a 1.2 ghz with 768 megs of ram and a 30 gig as the master and a 80gig as the slave where i keep all my movies both are 7200rpm and I encode 60 mins of video at high quality in about 1 hour and thirty minutes. As far as encoding times I would say that is not normal...

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2002
  4. kmart

kmart Member

I have a 1.0 GHz athlon with 256 MB RAM, two 75GB 7200 RPM hard drives in RAID 0. It usually takes about 9 hours to encode a movie that's 1h 45min. Will getting more RAM make it go faster, or will it just let me do other things while it's encoding. What I mean is, with my setup, what is the bigger bottleneck, memory or processor speed?

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

kmart: Adding another 256MB should speed things up, if you have NT based system (NT4, 2k or XP), but generally adding more than 512MB total memory wont help anything.