1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this macrovision or just hardware problems?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by reflux, Sep 13, 2004.

1. reflux

reflux Member

Hi, bit of a newbie here...

Im trying to transfer a load of VHS onto DVD and on certain tapes Im running into problems.
    On a PC (using MyDVD4) there is intermittent pauses in the captured video (even in the preview screen). On a Mac (iMovie) I manage to get smooth video but crackly sound. Im using a Dazzle Hollywood DV-Bridge box with a firewire connection to the computers.

Neither machine has any other programs running at the same time. Its all the newer tapes (from a certain company) and on one tape there was a Macrovision label. However, the symptoms dont seem to quite match with the descriptions of what that system does. Older tapes have no problems.

Is this a copy-protection problem do you think? Or do I need to sort out my hardware? I dont want to fork out for a Sima box if its not going to make any difference!

Cheers

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you are useing the Dazzle Hollywood Bridge then you should be captureing to DV AVI format not to Mpeg2 useing Sonic MyDVD...Your Device uses Hardware DV Compression which is Done on the Device so it would be better to capture to that format and then use a Standalone Mpeg encoder to encode the DV AVI file to Mpeg2 and then you can use MyDVD to Just author the Mpeg2 file to DVD but don"t use it if it tries to re-encode the File....

I suspect those Pauses are from Dropped frames from trying to capture to Mpeg2 in Real time, You need at least a 2ghz PC to capture directly to Mpeg2....

Also it totally defeats the purpose of useing the Hardware encodeing Device you are useing if you just capture directly to Mpeg2....

Macrovision makes the Video go Dark and Bright and can cause some Slight distortion of the Image but it shouldn"t cause Choppy Video.....