1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This Normal

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Hillly, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Hillly

Hillly Guest

Is it normal for a VCD to jump. When I play the vcd it frezes for 2 seconds but the audio still there. it doesnt happen all the time it just does it a few times throw the film.
    I use tmpgenc to convert it from avi to mpeg.

2. o-doner

o-doner Guest

I got the same problem from one movie witch was ripped from dvd - problem occurs about once every minute. I have no clue what went wrong. I've done them at least 30 only one failed this way. I atleast tried to make standard vcd.

3. anders-81

anders-81 Member

I don't really know, but I think it has something to do with the layers of the CD-R. A normal DVD uses 'dual-layer' and a CD-R, as I've understood, just have one layer. So if you copy a DVD to CD-R it misses one layer and these small pauses occur. Well, the thing I wanted to say is that it probably doesn't have anything to do with the encoding process or wich program you use. It's about the VCD itself.
    Think so...not sure... :)

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

I have seen this when I create non-standard VCDs - wierd bitrates. Many players dislike them. Also, when you burn the VCDs at 'higher' speeds, like 8x this has happened with certain media. Guess this is why most people stick to 2x/4x burning speed.

5. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

my player plays vcd's well only if i use cd-rw. if I use cd-r's, the problem you have occurs. With svcd's it will play perfect no matter what type of blank cd I use..

6. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

I guess the thing to remember is that not all DVD players are created equal. Experiment and find out how your player behaves. www.vcdhelp.com has a database of results of what people have found about their players. See what the others have found about your player.