1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Xeno GC any good?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by HG27, Apr 19, 2007.

1. HG27

HG27 Guest

I just found out about this chip and it seems like it is good.
    It has a good price (about $25), only 6 points to solder (no wires), and it plays all media(that's what it said).
    I just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with this chip and whether or not I should get it.
    I only want to play backups.

2. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

Yeah, it's plain but I haven't had any probs yet. It was very easy to install. You can use wires but I didn't... so to see the red and green LEDs I have to look in the side of the console.
    I bought mine from Divineo (USA) for like $22 USD (shipping and all)
    I read alot about it before I bought it here http://www.iso420.org/ngc/xenogc/index.htm and also here http://modthatcube.pxn-os.com/main.htm
    I think it's a good price if you just want to play backups. I can play all the emulators and stuff from my SD card (well most of em)
    The only little tiny problem I had was that I had to adjust my lazer POT, which is easy anway. But I'd say go for it.

3. HG27

HG27 Guest

Would you recommend me buying it from Eurasia.nu?
    Also what games do you know of that won't work with this chip and what is the minimum lazer POT value you should have ever?

4. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

Yeah I'd go with eurasia. My games are right here... let's see...
    Actually I DON'T have any GC backups that don't work
    all are NTSC unless noted
    Paper Mario - works
    Mario Party 7 - works
    Super Mario Sunshine - works
    Samurai Jack - works
    Animal Crossing - works
    Mario Kart double Dash - works - it starts in PAL but the game lets you pick 50 or 60 hz- I just had to navigate a rolling screen

Megaman Network Transmission (Spanish) - works
    Luigi's Mansion - works
    Luigi's Mansion (PAL) - works but the chip won't set region ( I bet it's my crappy TV)- It's all black and white rolling screen
    Zelda 4 swords - works
    Zelda Twilight Princess - works
    Resident Evil 1 remake (2 discs) - both work
    Fire Emblem - works
    Final Fantasy crystal chronicles - works
    Zelda wind waker - works
    F-Zero gx - works

ok now about lazer POT - When I first installed the chip I didn't mess with it,because everything I read said that adjusting the pot was last resort, but when I turned on the GC the red light came on then the green and I got a disc error, but originals worked fine...so I set my POT to 159 (which I've read is what Nintendo sets as default) and about every 1 out of 20 times it would get a random error.... so I readjusted it to 151, and so far so good. I've also read that POT value under 50 Ohms can permenantly ruin GC discs, but the higher the POT # the weaker the lazer. Also every cube is different. So it's really trial and error for each cube. The modthatcube tutorial said try between 170-200. 200 didn't work at all for me. 170 worked about 1 out of 5 boots. Also everyone says the brad of DVDs matter too. I use full sized HP DVD-Rs ; but again trail and error.

well let me know how it goes

5. HG27

HG27 Guest

Ok guys I think I'm going to get it from Eurasia.nu
    I'll let you guys know how it went.

6. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

Yeah , even for a person who has never soldered before this one isn't too tuff, just take your time, and use rosin flux. I got my Full sized DVD case the other day so I'm a happy camper now.

here's my old getto mod,with the jewel taken out........ [​IMG]

and here my new case.... [​IMG]

7. HG27

HG27 Guest

Hey, can the gamecube run full sized dvd-r's if the case is off? Or is there some obstruction?

8. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

Sure it can, but dust n crap gets in, and it looks stupid. Really , most people go with the full sized case because mini DVD's are expensive. I got my case for $15 from modchipman.com. It's cheaper plastic, but it looks cooler.I don't own the Game-bit screw driver, so I used the melted pen method, and when I put my new case on I used some PS2 screws, and It worked just fine. Tonight I'm going to change the orange LED light to a blue one.

9. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

Oh also, I'm adding the GBA emulator burnt to DVD-R to my list of working discs....

10. HG27

HG27 Guest

Hey, how long did the shipping take from modchipman.com?
    I've never bought from them before, but if you had a good experience with them I will probably buy the case from them as well. I want a clear case. Then I will just go and buy XenoGC from Eurasia.nu or some other place.
    Please tell me about your experience with this store and how long it took to get your product.

11. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

I sent the money order to modchipman on a Friday and got my case on Wednesday. I bought from them back in 2004 , when I bought a PS2 chip, and I remember it being quick then too. They olny ship by Fed-EX. So you can track your order

12. HG27

HG27 Guest

Do they accept credit cards?

13. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

14. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

more games that work ---- Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
    ---I-Ninja
    --Tales of Symphonia (disc1 + 2)
    - N64 emu Mario 64
    - N64 emu Starfox 64

15. TopAce

TopAce Member

LuckGhost, you said that you ran N64 roms. Does the Xeno GC worth with N64 emulators. I know that it is less compatible than other chips. Did you use the SD Loader or juts use an emulator on a dvd? Thanks.

16. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

well currently there is no SD Load version of the N64 emulator, so you either have to stream them or burn to DVD. I made 2 or 3 coasters before I got it to work, I had to use fstfix13f.exe check out my post here http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17920#post17920

yeah its compatibility kind sucks, but the 2 games that I do have working are perfect.

Also to the working Xeno list, I'm adding Starfox Assult, and Starfox Adventures.

17. TopAce

TopAce Member

Thanks alot. Also with other emulators. I read everything i can possibly find on the internet on it, and I'm still having problems making emulator disks for SNES and NES.

I got both fceu108x for NES and snes9xgx004x for SNES. Now I have plenty of ROMS that I know do work on a computer emulator. I make a DOL file out of them using the command. Now what can you do with the DOL file? I followed the tutorial saying that you have to check it with NeroGC. I checked it with nero gc and it said that it will not boot. I don't want to waste a mini DVD making a coaster checking it out. I tried this using both emulators. Is there something that I'm doing wrong? Is there anything else I can do to get an emulator working?

18. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

well I'm not quite sure about burning NES or SNES to disc, but I've got games for both on my SD Card... lets see, if I remember right, you have to inject the rom into the emu using the command prompt, like...
    cd\ (enter)
    C:\> sgxi.exe supermario.smc supermario.dol (enter)
    compressing.......... (you might already know that)
    and I put the .dol's directly on the sd card.....
    man it's been a while, but I never used nero gc , actually the sd card saved me $ on dvds. Sorry if I confused you .. I'm dead tired right now... but fceu108x http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2077.html (maybe)

and about
    snes9xgx004x... I'm almost positive I'm not using that version, but you might look here http://modthatcube.pxn-os.com/main.htm it's a pretty good site....

if these don't help you just look around, I remember I had to do alot of reading before I finally got it to work, but again, I never burnt a disc, just used the Action Replay/SD Gecko method for NES and SNES, my main motivation was to play Yoshi's Island on SNES, cuz the PS2 SNES emu didn't run it right.....
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

19. TopAce

TopAce Member

Thanks for the help. I've been using modthatcube for my reviews and to pick the XenoGC. I know I have made the dol file using that exact same method. Now the problem with the GC is that it doesn't have a disk explorer so you have to make the DOL bootable. Right after that, you need NeroGC in the same director and run the command..

nerogc -c game.dol

where game is the name of the dol file of course. Every time I tried I got the error entry point out of bounds. There was no info anywhere that I can find that addressed this. I figured there was something wrong with me converting DOL files. I looked online for DOL converter and came across d0lLZ v2.0. This was able to convert into a dol and when i ran that same command with nerogc, it told me that the DOL will boot. I guess this solved the problem.

I would get the SD card method but it honestly costs more than a mod chip and blank dvd's (the mod chip is $9 on divineo!!). I will wait for the chip to come and I will install it. Then I will try it with a full sized dvd before a waste a mini one.

Thanks for your help and if anyone can help me make a bootable dol or knows anything about that error help would be appreciated :D

20. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

glad you got it working. Yeah full sized DVDs are the way to go, I think. My first SD Card was a 512 PNY, and I bought it at staples for like $20, but about a month later I saw a generic brand X 1.0 GB at walmart for $12.88 , so I bought it, and it works ,so far. Something I have noticed about Xeno, is that when I first tried to burn discs for the GBA emu and the N64 emu, that the GCM/ISO s that it made weren't very big, and they didn't work. But after using fstfix13f.exe with the triggers -f (for full sized img) and -t ( for tweak alignment), it would rebuild the image to the 1.35 GB,and they worked. btw I never had any luck with nero, so I always use IMGBurn. but hey whatever works , right?
    and lastly I should have mentioned last night here http://gcemu.dcemu.co.uk/ this is another one that I visit alot.....