1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO FILE

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by MESMD, Sep 3, 2007.

1. MESMD

MESMD Regular member

HI,
    I read your very good explanation of what to do with an Iso file. However, when infrequently downloaded, I use a free program Burncdcc.exe or Ashampoo burning suite and let it extract or mount the Iso file to a CD or DVD. All works well as long as the file is not corrupt or defective media is used.

Tonight, I downloaded a 50 mb Iso file, however, when extracted or mounted to the CD it would not run the *.mod on any player. They all reported an error in the file. I thought that might happen as the CD never really seemed to conclude its iso burn!!

In any event, I decided to simply burn the Iso file to either a directory on my hard drive, or better yet, a 4 GB flash USB thumb drive.
    Neither of my previously mentioned Iso burning programs would allow me to use any media other than a cd or dvd (which I believe mine are defective)

My question is: Is there a simple free? program that will allow me to simply burn this iso file to my flash drive. All I want is a simple one time need to burn this Iso file to my 4GB Flash Drive and play the *.mod file from that drive. I believe the *.mod file is a mpeg file and I believe the reason the CD burn is not playing the file is due to a defective cd surface or burn error from the Iso burn to the CD?

Thank you for a simple file suggestion that I can download that will do this conversion.

Sincerely,

Miles

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

for one thing you can't burn to a flash drive, you can transfer to the drive, when you burn it is going to be a cd or a dvd

3. MESMD

MESMD Regular member

Thank you rdmercer1 for you help. I can't use a hard drive either? Or I must make a virtual drive as a cd in the hard drive? I've never done this as a novice? I think my problem was a bad CD disk, even though it was unused, it was 4 years old in a 50 pack stack of blanks. It seems that these CDs or DVDs become damaged or defective when not used as blanks over time? If I do not write to them when they are relatively new, in a pie bin of 50 or 100, they get bad, where they can't be read or written to?
    Thanks again for any further suggestions, other than getting a pack of new cds or dvds!!

Miles

4. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

they don't go bad from not being used, you migh of gotten a bad batch,also if you store your media next to the window sunlight can damage the disk, also what is the brand name of the disks? some media is better thain others, also ashampoo is a great program for burning.

5. MESMD

MESMD Regular member

I found out from the manufacturer that I had burned the iso image fine to the CD. This CD can only be accessed by a boot, not by exploring it and trying to run any of the programs seen in the 3 directories. However, I still have many new CDs and DVDs from Verbatim, Sony, etc. that have defects and can't be read in more than one DVD drive in several computers. Even after cleaning it with the proper solution , etc., I get an error recognizing many. My firm updates are current as are my drivers. I had burned over 1500 Dvd movies in 2005 with these new disks at that time and they all worked, although some had to be reburned due to pixelations and or black burning spots on the dvd blank, causing pauses and hesitations. These were good Verbatim Dvds 30 in a drum. Now these same disks that were never used then, are showing the defective surfaces or not being recognized. Sometimes when using Ashampoo burning suite to simply burn some pictures to these dvds, it seems to take so long and the final result has intermittent recognition defects on the same Dvd player that burned it, or on others. It must be these Dvds and cds. I think the ones in their own plastic storage container, rather than the drum, are more likely to be free of surface defects over time?

Thanks Again for writing.

Miles

6. boutcrazy

boutcrazy Member

RD,

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I also have an ISO I need to get over to a thumb drive. When you say transfer to the thumb, do you just mean copy it over, and it will boot and the program will run from the thumb?

I'm a newbie when it comes to doing stuff like this, so if anyone has a step by step how to, I sure would appreciate it!

Thanks.

7. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

if you have something that you want to transfer from your hard drive or your system to a thumb drive, make sure that the file you are wanting to transfer is smaller in size thain the target drive, say you have a 4gb flash drive and you have a 3.5 gb file just right click on the file you want to transfer or send and highlight the file and copy and open the flash drive and paste into the drive, you can also use the feature send to with the right click.

8. boutcrazy

boutcrazy Member

RD,

I tried that. First, I downloaded and ran this to make the thumb bootable:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/serveroptions/us/download/23839.html

Then I put the CD in the drive, selected all files on the cd, then sent it to the thumb. Once finished, tried to boot and run from the thumb, all I got was something like:

Unable to find kernel: linux
    boot:

I've never messed with Linux before, but I believe the ISO on the CD is linux-based. Maybe that's the problem.