1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO from AVI?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by fishbulb, May 27, 2007.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

first of all im not sure if i got the right forum but im wondering if there is a way to convert an AVI or MPEG to an ISO image. the kind of image that is created when u rip a dvd using a program such as dvd shrink or dvd decrypter. i kno this forum title says (AVI to DVD) but does it mean u can convert AVI to ISO? ive used imgburn and a couple other programs that seems to convert the AVI to something and then i can put it on a blank dvd but it wont play on my dvd player like burned dvd's from ISO images will, and they ALWAYS play. so is there a program that can do this? thanx for any help.

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

I use WinAVIvideoconverter to turn my AVI's to DVD compliant
    files. When finished it will make two folders (video_ts and
    audio_ts) the audio_ts folder is always empty but requiered
    for dvd's. Next just drag these 2 files into nero and burn as
    data files. My tabletop dvd player plays these dvd's as any
    normal movie dvd. You can also use imgburn to burn these files
    just open the directory video_ts and burn them. You can also use
    DVDshrink to turn these files into an ISO but it's not really
    required. The reason I use WinAVI is because it's fairly quick,
    it will convert an AVI to DVD in less than hour, plus it has
    it's own built-in burner to burn the files for you after the
    conversion all in one step.

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Remember that ISO is just a 'container'. What you'll have to do is, first encoding (AVI --> MPG).
    Later, once you have a DVD MPG, you have to author it into a DVD, and you can:
    1) directly burn it into a DVD-R;
    2) create video_ts.bup, video_ts.ifo, vts_01_1.ifo, vts_01_#.VOB (# depend on the filesize, a file is max 1 GB)
    3) create an ISO, which is exactly made of the files mentioned in 2) or the DVD image of 1)

Once you do have done the authoring, you must burn its result into a DVD, and you can do it in many ways. If you created, on authoring step, an IFO/BUP/VOB set, you can burn with Nero (command: New ==> DVD ---> Video DVD). If you created during that step an ISO, you can do it with a plenty of applications, i.e. with any application which can burn a DVD ISO.

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  4. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

well i've used winavi b4. that was the first one i ever tried. but i still couldnt get the dvd to play on my player. guess its just time to get a newer, more compatible player. also, doesnt imgburn do something like this? ive tried it also with the same results. thanx

5. daveb923

daveb923 Member

Like everyone has said, you must convert the AVI to standard DVD format first, then burn it for playback in your home player. WinAVI is good, but it's not free. For 100% freeware try DVD Flick: http://www.majorgeeks.com/DVD_Flick_d5530.html I've converted and burned dozens and dozens of movies with never a bad disc using DVD Flick! It's fairly quick: about 90 minutes from AVI to finished watchable DVD disc. It will also convert MPG's, WMV's, MOV's and lots of others. Do yourself a favor and check it out! Here's a link to a DVD Flick how to guide: http://beginwithsoftware.com/videoguides/dvd-flick-guide.html
    IMHO, DVD Flick is pretty much the only tool you'll need for everyday DVD creation from your downloaded movie files.

daveb923

6. daveb923

daveb923 Member

Oh yeah.... DVD Flick also has an option to create and save an .ISO image of your converted file, which can be handy for burning extra copies in the future. And DVD Flick has the well known and much beloved IMGBurn built-in, which handles all the burning after the conversions are done. Like I said, it's all 100% free, and (in my experience) 100% trouble-free and reliable, and it's EASY!!! Read the guide, download DVD Flick, and rejoice!!!! ;)

daveb923

7. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

thanx daveb, i'll give that one a shot. sounds like it may be wat im lookin for. if it doesnt work then i guess it really IS time to get a newer player. lol. wish me luck! *fingers crossed*

8. daveb923

daveb923 Member

It'll work great! I was in the same boat you're in about 6 months ago; I have an older DVD player, no remote for it, and was having a nightmare of a time with .avi's and DVD conversion. Then I found DVD Flick, and then I found the guide, and now all is well!!! There was much rejoicing in daveb's house!!! Be sure to read the guide (print it out if possible) and follow it step-by-step; there's nothing to it, really. After you've done 3 or 4 movies, it'll be second nature. It's so easy that it makes me wonder why everyone isn't using DVD Flick!!!! Good luck!!!

daveb923

9. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

thanx again, i have high hopes for this program now. lol. i just hope im not the one person it doesnt work for. haha

10. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

im finally gettin around to replying again to my post. ive been using dvdflick and man i love it! only complaint is its really slow and hogs up computer resources. it just slows everything else waaaaay down. but i dont normally use my comp while running it anyway. and im not sure wat all the audio choices mean either coz i tried the 5.1 and it doesnt play in 5.1. pro logic is the best i can get it to play. now i need a program to take an iso and convert (if thats the correct term for this) to an avi or mpeg or watever. lol
    does nero or clonedvd do this? thanx guys.

11. daveb923

daveb923 Member

Try PowerISO or MagicISO for extracting the video files out of the ISO image.... technically, they're not free.... for true freeware, I'm pretty sure that TUGZip will do it... it's a file extraction/compression tool (like WinZip or WinRar) that handles most extensions. It should work with an ISO. Here's the link:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/TUGZip_d4670.html
    I'm glad you like DVD Flick!!! It totally kicks ass! Yes, it is a resource hog, but converting video files is a VERY resource intensive process. When I run it, I turn off all screen savers, shut down anything running, and just turn off the monitor for 90 minutes or so.... Anyway, I hope this info helps with your ISO needs. Good Luck!

daveb923

12. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

hey daveb923, so u can convert using dvdflick in 90 mins or so? i think mine takes quite a bit longer. and like u, i shut off my screensaver and any other programs, including my antivirus while its processing. ive used the second pass option a couple times also and that takes even longer of course. have u tried a dvd using the second pass option and the same dvd without it to see if there is a noticeable difference in quality? and thanx for the link to tugzip. i'll have to check that one out, especially since its free.
    thanx again.

13. daveb923

daveb923 Member

No, I've never used the 2nd pass option; I've never had a need to. The quality of my finished movies is basically perfect and I can't really see how it could be improved. Even if improvement was possible, I don't think it would be noticeable enough to justify the extra time. I'll be converting a movie tonite, and maybe I'll try the 2nd pass just to see how long it takes and if there is any noticeable difference in quality.... I'll post the time and quality.

daveb923

14. thunderwa

thunderwa Guest

I've used DVDFlick recently to convert and burn anime AVI's onto DVD as ISOs. I've always used Second Pass option, but decided to try not using it and see if there was a difference.

No real difference that I can tell. I watched on a 42" Plasma screen. The files were fansubs, and in fact looked as good or better than a release DVD.

With "second pass", the encoding/burn took about 6 hours for 4Gb. Now it's down to around 3 hours. My system is Pent 4, 2.8 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM (fairly old), and generally I have several torrents running. Sometimes I keep using the system normally as well.

DVDFlick DOES pretty much take over the box at high priority, but you can change the priority easily when necessary to get some CPU for other things (note that Win XP may change it back eventually). But the program is so simple and foolproof. Takes me less than 5 minutes from finishing one disc to configuring and launching the next one and provides enough options for my purposes. The only issue I had was that once the encoding created an ISO too large, but only by 1%, so I consider that a fair margin of error since the program has to estimate the final ISO size.

Anyway, the quality wasn't affected by not using second pass, so thanks for bringing this up. Saves me a lot of time.

pp

15. daveb923

daveb923 Member

OK- I did use the 2nd pass a few days ago. My convert/burn time went from 90 minutes or so, to over 3 hours and there was absolutely NO noticeable difference. Needless to say, I won't be using the 2nd option again unless the source .AVI or MPEG file is of low quality, then I might use the 2nd pass to 'clean it up' a bit or something. I'm running an Athlon64 3200+ with 1.5gb DDR400. But when I convert and burn, I do nothing else. I might have some torrents running but I'll usually put 'em on hold for a bit. I have the screensavers turned off, and I usually just turn off the monitor and go do something else for awhile....

daveb923

16. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i guess i'll bypass the second pass option now too. and i dont even try doing anything else on my comp while dvdflick is running. it locks it up for a good while and i cant do anything till it unlocks itself. ive found that my finished products seem to play at a very slightly faster speed than a normal dvd would. anyone else notice this? and that in darker scenes the dvd tends to pause and freeze a bit. this is after i convert the file to an iso and play it back on the dvd.

17. thunderwa

thunderwa Guest

By the way, I had been using 1.2.1.4, and downloaded 1.2.2.0 since my previous post. Seems to use a lot less resources on lower priority settings. Surfing is still slower, but liveable, even though I use IE, which is a real hog. Where before other apps would seem almost catatonic, now I can get work done while DVDFlick is running.

pp

18. slayerdee

slayerdee Member

Hi all,

Ok.. I'm a complete newbie at this so excuse the long ramble. heh.. :)

Ok, I downloaded DVD flick a few days ago & it worked great after all the things that I was told to do in the guides, but when I played the disc in my DVD player, the subtitles went completely out of sync, as in some of the subtitles were missing & sometimes there was a slight delay.

I'm just wondering if there like an extra step or something that I missed so that my subtitles would not get lost or go out of sync before burning?

Would really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks! :)

19. daveb923

daveb923 Member

I've never had to insert subtitles using DVD Flick (or any other software) so there's not much I can tell you. Most of the guides I've read for DVDFlick are pretty complete and clearly written so I don't think it's anything that you did (or didn't do). It could be that the subtitle's source file is corrupt or maybe the DVD was burned at too high of a speed. I recently burned a movie with Nero (which I always use if I'm burning pre-authored DVD files like VOB's, IFO's, etc) and it was version 7 (which sucks donkey balls) but that's what was available at the time. Nero 7 wouldn't allow me to lower the burn speed so it was 'stuck' at 16x. I burned the movie and it played OK for the first hour. Then it went haywire: playback went into slo-mo for 30 seconds or so then popped back to normal, except now the lip-sync was off by 4-5 seconds. Then static bursts came thru the speakers every 10-15 seconds accompanied by jumpy video. A few days later, I re-burned the movie on my home PC (Nero 6.6; the BEST version EVER!) at 4x and it plays perfectly on the home DVD player.... maybe this is what happened in your situation. Be sure to set the burn speed in DVD Flick/ImgBurn before starting any projects. Open the DVD Flick folder in C:\Program Files and open the ImgBurn folder, and run the .exe file. Set your burn speed to 4x in ImgBurn, and then exit. It will save your settings so when you use DVD Flick, it'll burn at whatever you set it to previously. 4x is recommended; it's slower, but MUCH more reliable. What's the point in saving 7 or 8 minutes if the end result is shit? Good Luck!

hd2k

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  20. slayerdee

slayerdee Member

Hey dave,

Thanks for your response, I tried what you said coz I think the last time that i did burn it was at Auto on IMG burn.. heh..

I did what you said but unfortunately, the same result still came out.. Some of my subs were ost yet again.. *sigh* Still don't know where the problem lies.. Thanks tho for responding. :) Tis appreciated. :)

Anyone else got any other solutions?