1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iso problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by monkeysm8, Dec 18, 2004.

1. monkeysm8

monkeysm8 Member

Hi I burnt an iso file to dvd using alcohol 120%. The problem I have is that it will be recognised by a normal player but will not actually play, but will work fine on my pc. Any ideas??

2. monkeysm8

monkeysm8 Member

3. brobear

brobear Guest

What was the media format and is it compatible with the standalone player?

4. brobear

brobear Guest

I've used alcohol's emulator to load ISOs to be recorded by other apps, but I don't use Alcohol alone as a burner for DVD movies. It is even handy for bin/cue files. However, if Alcohol was my only app, I'd download the freeware DVD Shrink and the Nero Ultra or use the Recode in the Ultra with DVD Decrypter as a ripper for it. 30 day trials for nero and renewable monthly until you decide to buy it.

If you have the original DVD, Shrink will decrypt, encode and burn automatically with Nero. If all you have is the ISO, Shrink will handle that as well.

5. monkeysm8

monkeysm8 Member

My dvd media is fine as I have converted avi files to vob and played them just fine. The iso I have I dl'ed, it is weird as my pc instantly recognises it as a dvd but a standalone (the same one I tested previous copied dvd's in) doesn't seem to want to play it???
    Could I possibly be doing something wrong?? I selected burn image (sounds like the right thing to do) and et voila it burned. I even tried extracting the vob files but that didn't work.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Well there are several ways to do it. I'd advise using Shrink instead of Alcohol for doing DVD movies. DVD Shrink is a good freeware app, so no cost. There are plenty of guides. In depth ones at http://www.doom9.org and an interactive set at http://www.dvdshrink.info that will give a quick virtual tour. Shrink can either read the ISO file as a DVD if you have the ISO loaded in the Alcohol emulator or Shrink will handle ISO when you open File and select Open Disc Image. Open Disc opens DVDs, don't confuse Open Disc with Open Disc Image. If it doesn't play after running it through DVD Shrink, then you more than likely have corrupted files.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

We know that's what you think and No one is disputing that you're the most knowledgeable person there is in regards to media but, don't you think you might "humor" us, who have no expertise in this matter at all, and tell us what brand it is that you're so sure of ? ?

It wasn't necessary to dismiss us so out-of-hand -

8. monkeysm8

monkeysm8 Member

I wasn't dismissing you honestly. The brand I use are datawrite yellow tops. I know they are fine, as I have used them several times before and they've worked fine. It is just this one file that is giving me a headache that's all.

9. monkeysm8

monkeysm8 Member

Dvd shrink doesn't seem to like the image mounted via alcohol or opened as an iso. I am just curious why it would play fine via media player, if it was corrupt??

10. brobear

brobear Guest

monkeysm8
    Datawrite yellow tops = Ritek G04 (unless they recently changed the supplier). Though Ritek has changed the dye and possibly for the worse. Still supposed to be a decent media. We don't question one's expertise, but we don't know the info unless the questions are answered and we don't ask questions for idle chat (not usually anyway). A little courtesy in answering the question would have been good etiquette.

As far as players go; I've seen things play on standalone and not the PC and not the standalone and play on the PC. Corrupted files or an unrecognized file structure are common causes of problems. That's why I mentioned trying Shrink, an app with a proven record.

An interesting thing about ISO, the WinRar archive tool will unpack an ISO into the File structure. Handy trivia for those with an ISO file and no original. If you want to try recording it in the File mode instead of ISO you can unpack it and see if that makes a difference. At this point, I'm starting to wonder about the ISO file you downloaded.

Nero Recode, Shrink, DVDCopy3, or any number of apps record in the file mode using hard drive files. (Programs mentioned have good trial periods or are freeware). If the ISO has the correct structure, the movie and audio files will be in a VIDEO_TS folder and the Audio folder will be empty. If all the files are out in the open, place them in a folder named VIDEO_TS as that will be the folder most recording apps look for.