1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO question - does it need formatting?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Br0die, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Br0die

Br0die Member

Hi,

I have an ISO in the format of xml.xbox.iso (which for some bizarre reason is being recognised as a WinRAR file on my machine) which was created when I a downloaded a torrent and unrared the first RAR file. I *think* this is now a bonefide xbox ISO (I've opened it using an extractor utility and can see all the directories and files inside).

I've tried burning it to a DVDR- using Nero 6.0.0.9
    but it didn't work on my Xbox (with Xecutor2)

Questions:

1) From the above information does it sounds like this is a valid xbox ISO and ready to burn?

2) Is there a way of categorically checking an ISO to see if it is in the valid format?

3) I can extract it into its directory structure (as mentioned above) and then using GDFImage (or Isomaker 1.21) remake the xbox ISO. Should I do this? Or is there any need?

4) Could my problems be Nero based? I've heard people stating that ALcohol 120% and Record Max Now are better. Do you think this would make any difference?

5) Might it have anything to do with the fact that my PC is recognising the ISO as a WinRAR file? Do I need to disassociate this for it to work? If so what is the best way of doing this? I've heard people mention re-installing their burning software.

Many thanks for your time and for any responses with suggestions that this post might receive.

Brodie

2. Br0die

Br0die Member

As it seems that no one was prepared to offer any advice on this one I'd just like to add this addendum to indicate that I've fixed the problem and who knows, maybe someone in the future with have a similar dilemma, search this forum and find this solution.

xml.xbox.iso is a valid xISO (for the use of a better term) however it appears that Nero (not too sure if other burners are effected) is not too keen on this file name (maybe due to the two extension format, as I said, I'm not sure.)

If you have an xml.xbox.iso file your best bet is to extract it fully using an extraction tool (SimpleX works fine). You will then receive a directory structure of the game on your PC. I then build an ISO (or xISO whatever term you're using) using Quix though for educational purposes I made about 4 of ISOs using different tools and they were all the same size so I'm postulating that any of the four would have worked in the end. *This* ISO I then burn at the lowest speed possible using Alcohol 120%. And yes, you have to select Burn Image or whatever. Don't burn a data disc (duh).

This extra step (extract and then rebuild) might seem a little gratuitous and who knows, maybe it's not warranted, but I had problems and now I don't so for the sake of a few extra minutes I do the above. The pros also are that you are 100% definite that the file you create with Quix (from the extracted directory structure) is a valid Xbox ISO. This method above therefore removes the possibility of downloading a fake image and wasting a disc. I would also recommend getting an ISOReader util that will allow you to peek inside the ISO before you extract it (using XDFExtractor or whatever). This also removes the possibility that you have an incorrect file structure.

Lastly, I will just add that I ran the game on my Xbox (Xecutor2 mod) and it appears to take longer to load and I *think* (I may had inadvertently pressed the X button) the intro movie didn't load.

As I have limited experience with backups is this normal? Also, if the above is due to the nature of the backup would installing the game from the backup disc onto the XBox HDD remove any glitching problems?

I would also like to add that I backed up a game that I have actually purchased in the stores. I am not a pirate. I entered this backup quest mostly for educational purposes as I wanted to see if I could do it - sure I now have a backup of a game I already own but in all honesty, I take very good care of my discs so the possibility of that one becomes scratched or damaged is limited. But how and ever ... I can do it now so I might as well backup my collection. Just in case.

3. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I have uploaded some games to the xbox and have not had any problems.