1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iso ?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by goman007, Jan 19, 2007.

1. goman007

goman007 Regular member

I downloaded 4 movies in divx format and when i tried to play them on a divx compatible dvd player it said it was an iso disk and would play. anyone have any idea why?

thanks

2. GambitRox

GambitRox Member

Did you burn them in the divx player itself?

3. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Did you mean it said it was ***not*** an iso disk and would ***not*** play?

How did you burn the disk?

4. goman007

goman007 Regular member

yes, I converted the movie with the Divx Converter and the burned it to dvd with the Divx Player all I know when I played it in the dvd player it said that this was an ISO Disk and that it couldnt read it. It played fine on my Divx Player on my computer. Then I also dragges some Avi's to the Divx Player and it burned them just fine.

Hope you guys can help??
    thanks in advance.

5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Is this your first try at playing divx movies on your dvd player?

How did it tell you it couldn't play them? Was it a message on your TV screen? Did it say "ISO DISK" on the display on the front of the player?

The reason is, I have a dvd player that also plays divx files, and mine always says "ISO DISK" when I put in a disk with divx avis on it. In fact it always says "ISO DISK" when I put in a disk with mp3s or jpg pictures too. This is normal. This is what you should see, I think.

There are two types of disk you can put in a DVD player. One is a regular DVD like you rent at Blockbuster or you buy at a store. These are called "UDF" disks. If you put it in the player, it shows the DVD menu, or starts playing the movie or whatever.

Another kind is a disk you burned as a data disk. These are called "ISO" disks. If the player finds files it can play, you get a menu showing the file names, and you can select one. If the files are not in the correct format, that might be why your player won't play them.

Also, my player will not play files made by Divx Converter. I suggest you try a different software, such as WinAVI or EasyX Video Converter. maybe other people can suggest good converting programs?

6. goman007

goman007 Regular member

thanks for the reply,
    yes it say "ISO" on the dvd player and goes to a different screen on my tv, is there a way to work that screen?, or is it like you said i just got the wrong format for the Divx player? i did encode them with Divx Converter. i also dragged some regular avi to the burner and they did fine.

7. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I'll take you through what happens with my divx dvd player. Other players may have differences, but they all more or less do the same thing.

Imagine that I have 3 movies - movie1.avi, movie2.avi, movie3.avi

I burn a finalized ISO disk which contains them as data files.

I put the disk in my divx dvd player.

The player reads the disk.

The display on the front of the player reads ISO DISK.

The TV screen shows a menu which says

Audio files
    Video files
    Pictures

(The top item, "Audio files", is always highlighted, even if there are no mp3s on the disk.)

I move the highlight to "Video files" using the up and down arrow buttons on the DVD player remote control.

I press the "enter" button on the DVD remote control.

Now the video menu appears.

It shows

movie1.avi
    movie2.avi
    movie3.avi

The top item is highlighted as before. I move the highlight to the movie I want to see and press the "enter" button.

If the movie is in a mpeg4 format that the player recognizes, like divx or xvid, the screen goes blank and then it starts to play. I can use the pause, fast forward, rewind, stop, volume up/down etc buttons on the remote.

If the video is OK but the sound is not playable, it shows a message telling me this, in a box on top of the movie, but still plays the movie silently. I have to press "enter" to clear the message.

If the video is not playable at all, all I see is a message saying "Cannot play this format" in a box in the middle of a blank screen. I have to press "enter" on the remote which takes me back to the list of movies, and I can try another one.

Reasons why the movie won't play properly or at all might be that if I encoded it myself, the divx encoding software on my computer used non-standard settings such a Qpel encoding, vbr sound, and so on.

If I downloaded it, the uploader might have used settings that work for PC playback but not in a standalone.

There are guides on here to show you how to fix that sort of thing.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007