1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

issue with burning a file onto DVD from Sony handycam

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by kalop, Jan 12, 2008.

1. kalop

kalop Member

Hi! I have a Sony DCR-SR42 Handycam. I have recorded about 2 hours of footage that I would like to burn onto a DVD so I can watch the footage on my television. However, when I try to burn the file onto a DVD, it says the file is too big. As I said, I only recorded about 2 hours of footage so I know it should fit onto a DVD.

I guess I have to compress the file somehow to make it fit onto a DVD, but I'm unsure how to do this. Can anyone help or offer suggestions? Thanks a lot!

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

A good rule of thumb is you get 1 hour of video, on a standard 4.7GB DVD, at high quality. Anything longer than that will result in reduced quality.

There are a number of programs that you can use to edit and burn your video files. Two such programs are Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 and N ero Ultra 8.

3. kalop

kalop Member

Grandpa, thanks a lot for your reply. I was thinking that since the DVD is a 120 minute DVD then I should be able to get 2 hours of video on it.

I guess when you record on a high-quality setting then it cuts the storage capacity time in 1/2, huh? I may end up just putting it on 2 DVDs so I don't sacrifice quality.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you have a DL burner, you can try burning it to a DL DVD.