1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue with new 95a/b Install for Dell Precision 410 MT

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Starbuck1, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Yep, it's a Pentium II MMX box 450MHz with 2 SCSI drives plus cd rom and zip drive on secondary IDE; nothing hooked up to primary IDE, and one floppy. I removed one scsi, so working with one scsi at id 0, it's a Quantum Atlas IV 9 WLS Ultra2-LVD. I went into BIOS and reformatted the drive (all ok). Boot sequence is set up for Floppy. I turned off primary IDE (no drive) and set SCSI to primary since I am using just one SCSI drive. (this box is a friend of mines that wants hooked up with win 95 to use with a printer that is only compatible with win 95 that prints 4x6 pics (hopefully he sends us some good pics, if you know what I mean, if I hook up this box for him). Anyway, I have a win 95 and win 95b CD ready to load and in the cd-rom.

Are you still with me?? zzzzzzz.

I have tried two Win 95 boot disks (floppy disks) from bootdisk.com for win 95 and win 95b and I am failing to talk to the cd-rom device (where my 95 cd is located to do my install). I have everything hooked up ok in BIOS. BUt, I get No Valid CDROM Device drivers selected. I looked and looked an looked and cannot find drivers for NEC DV-5800A or NEC CDR-3000A. I assume I have to add these darn drivers to my boot disk(ette) but cannot find these puppies. So, at this point, I am I'm drinking beer out of a straw. I have a few cd/dvd-rom's to play with; but, cannot seem to get the darn boot disk to recognize and play nicely with my cd (drivers).

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

ddp, baabaa, grandpa and all you other guru's out there, I need some assistance with some legacy hdw. Let me know if you guys have any clue on helping me load win 95 on this old box.

tks,
    starbuck

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

WOW ancient stuff there. Ok lets see. MSCDEX.exe, this is whats missing for your cd-rom to work. Need to make a Autoexec.bat file on your boot disk and maybee a config.sys file as well. Its been a long time since I have done this.

The Windows 98 Boot disk already has MSCDEX as part of the boot. You can use that disk and then copy the win95 cabs to your HD. If thats the way you want it done. Or just run setup on the CD.

-Del

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Been a long time since I have even seen Windows 95. I think that I used the last 95 machine I had, as a boat anchor for my Lund. It lasted a couple of years. :)

Seriously, I can't remember, for sure, but I thought that when you made a boot disk, for 95, it automatically put generic drivers on it to read from a CD. Maybe that did not happen until Windows 98, though.

Hopefully, someone else can help you

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I know that any 95 boot disk did not come with CD drivers on it. If I remember correctly, I used the install disks from the CD manufacturer to allow the CD to be read in dos so I could load the cab files to the HDD.

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

LoL :^)
    Easy stuff,
    Win98 bootdisk or Win95 (Dos 6.22) bootdisk,

CONFIG.SYS
    DEVICE=A:\setver.exe
    DEVICE=A:\himem.sys
    DOS=HIGH

AUTOEXEC.BAT
    @ECHO OFF
    PROMPT $p$g
    PATH A:\;C:\
    SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
    VER

Now, these bootdisks are easy to make (but gettin' harder & harder, as Win98 rigs slowly dwindle).
    The trick is to add the CDRom.
    Just about any old CDRom drivers will do, hopefully late-90's, y'know - not too ancient :^)
    These drivers will add:
    1) Device driver statement to CONFIG.SYS (ie. DEVICE=*.SYS)
    2) MSCDEX to AUTOEXEC.BAT
    You must copy MSCDEX to your floppy disk, then it will be there when it's called for.
    Also, the device driver - copy it to the floppy, and add it manually at the end of CONFIG.SYS
    So you will get:

CONFIG.SYS
    DEVICE=A:\setver.exe
    DEVICE=A:\himem.sys
    DEVICE=A:\CDRom.sys
    DOS=HIGH

AUTOEXEC.BAT
    @ECHO OFF
    PROMPT $p$g
    PATH A:\;C:\
    SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
    MSCDEX
    VER

Note: MS 'Smartdrive' caching is a good thing, you can add it just above or below MSCDEX - add it thus: SMARTDRV
    It will speed up DOS-mode CDRom reading operations (and Win2K/XP installation will actually bitch, if you don't have it loaded).
    However, your 640KB memory ('real' mode) will drop to around 512KB, so, if you get any low-memory errors with both the CDRom and the MSCDEX and the SMARTDRV loaded, the Smartdrive will have to go!

I have about a dozen old CDRom driver installation disks here - mostly they all work on any model. Panasonic ones are weird, they try to load an ASPI layer etc.
    Any old Mitsumi or LG or Samsung (or NEC!) drivers should work for you...
    Just build your bootdisk and add the two entries manually.
    Let us know how you get along,
    Regards

6. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Thanks guys I appreciate the timely feedback!! I'll keep you posted on my progress/install.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

use a win98 boot disk as you can use it with win95, been there & done that. possibility of windows protection error as you are past 350mhz but might be an amd cpu problem & not intel

8. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Thanks Guys ==> DDP, Del, Scuba, Grandpa, OGS,

I found oakcdrom.sys (driver) and updated startup.bat and config.sys. I had the MSCDEX.EXE already on the diskette for 95a and 95b boot disks. Also, I created a new 98 bootdisk (tks DDP) and will try this a little later since I am in class today. DOH!

found it here:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/floppies.htm#generic

All this work for a Pentium II.....

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member