1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues burning AVI to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by MilanoEH3, Jul 13, 2007.

1. MilanoEH3

MilanoEH3 Member

Alright, I've give the standard "I'm a total n00b to this" line. I tried researching this as best I could, but I've got to run out real quick, and I hope someone has some suggestions by the time I get back.

I'm trying to burn a bunch of AVIs, that I have obtained, to a DVD video. Not sure what they were encoded with, but they are each about 42~45 minutes long, and only 350~360MB each. One important point is I can play all of them in Windows Media.

I've tried two methods thusfar...Nero Vision and the TMPGEnc software (encoder and dvd authoring).

I can pretty much run through the whole process with Nero. It see the AVIs. My only issue with Nero is I have a real problem with only being able to put 4 of these AVIs onto a single layer DVD. Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the technology. Am I being limited by the length of the video in the AVI files?

With TMPGEnc, I cannot even get the software to recognize the AVI. It tells me that it cannot open the video part of the file, only the audio part. Not even sure what that means.

I'm sure if I dug enough I could find an answer...but I have to bolt. Thanks so much for you time!

2. attar

attar Senior member

If you figure a DVD can hold 2.5 to 3 hours of good quality video, then you can see where Nero's constraint is coming from inasmuch as a small (in megabytes) video takes up much more space when converted to DVD.
    Four is pretty good.You can squeeze more, but quality drops off quickly.

TMPGenc is probably complaining because the codecs required to process the AVI files are not installed on the PC (Nero has it's own personal codecs in the package).

If you wish to find out the codecs used to create the AVI's drag one onto 'GSpot' and look at the top right corner of the screen.It will tell you the codec that was used and also tell you if it is installed in the PC.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

[​IMG]

3. MilanoEH3

MilanoEH3 Member

And my wish was granted! Thanks so much! I figured I was being limited more by the length of the clips rather than the size, but I didn't know for sure. Oh...and GSpot did the trick. Found they were Xvid clips, got the codec, and I'm good to go with TMPGEnc.

4. attar

attar Senior member

Okey-dokey.

5. immat

immat Member

where did you get the codecs?

also, is avi2dvd good to use for this, or is there another program? i havent done avis into dvds yet, i just got my burner, but im downloading some as we speak and i want to be ready when they finish.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  6. attar

attar Senior member

AVI2DVD is a fine program, but for a simple conversion of AVI to DVD format, it's hard to beat this free version of ConvertXtoDVD.

http://dl.afterdawn.com/vsoDivxToDVD_setup_v0.5.2b.exe
    Import the file(s) (AVI, WMV,MPEG, VOB)
    Output (standard DVD file format) to a folder on the HDD.
    Set 'Aspect' to 4:3 (if you have a regular tv)
    Set 'Standard' to NTSC (if you live in North America)

Burn dvd with 'ImgBurn'

http://www.imgburn.com/

Run ImgBurn
    Mode > 'Build'
    Output > 'Device'
    File > 'Browse for Folder', highlight on the 'VIDEO_TS' folder, > 'OK'
    Set speed at 4x and click the green write button.

The 'XviD' codec is the open version of 'DivX'.
    If you really need it, it's available here.

XVid Codec
    http://www.xvid.org/

You should only add codecs if a specific program requires it.

7. immat

immat Member

on the guide it says that it leaves a watermark on the free version. is that durring the whole movie?

8. attar

attar Senior member