1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues using WinAvi

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by SSB, Jun 6, 2008.

1. SSB

SSB Member

Sorry if this is the wrong place.

I'm having allot of problems trying to convert VOB files into AVI's using WinAVI. I use DVD Decrypter to rip DVD's into VOB files. These VOB files play perfectly in VLC player.

9 times out of 10 WinAvi will get to a certain point, usually 8% or around 50% and then just stop, the time left will change to ??:??:?? and there is nothing in the preview window. Even if I leave it on for several hours nothing happens.

When it does work the AVI will either have no sound or it will be badly out of sync.

In DVD Decrypter I run the DVD through "Stream Processing" and if I check "Direct Stream Copy" the sound is out of sync. If I check "Demux" I get VOB files and an ac3 file with the sound but when I put it through WinAvi there is no sound on the AVI file.

Also when I try and take a single episode off a DVD, for example a Simpsons episode, WinAVI will force subtitles or Directors commentary subtitles even though there are none present in the VOB files.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

first problem is you are using the wrong program to convert vob's to avi. I've tried Winavi before and it doesn't process vob's very well, it works excellent and qwick at prcessing mpegs to avi(xvid), I use it mainly for that. And it also works pretty good at converting avi's to DVD.

To convert VOB files to avi(divx) use dr.divx 2.0, that program is free and works better than Winavi. It works with VOB files directly.

If Dr.divx doesn't work for you , try fairuse wizard lite (also free), the only problem is that it only works with ISO's, if you only have VOB's you can use dvdshrink to convert those files into an ISO. Fairuse wizard can convert an ISO into either xvid or divx, and it has never produce an audio/sync problem for me.

You might want to rip your dvd's with dvdfabHDdecryter (free).

3. SSB

SSB Member

Ok thanks allot, I'll try dr.divx 2.0 first.

I've been using WinAVI as my friend gave it to me. He uses DVD Decrypter and WinAVI to backup his DVD's and I just assumed it was something I was doing wrong.

Do I just tick "Stream Processing" and "Demux" then run it through Dr Divx?

Also do I need to be ripping them into several VOB files like I am doing or just the one?

4. SSB

SSB Member

Nevermind I tried Demux but Dr.Divx didn't recognise the output files. Just having a go at converting the Simpsons movie.

Just wondering will Divx files take up more or less space than VOB's or Avi files? My main concern is backing up my entire collection to my hardrive and be able to watch them on the computer. I doubt I'll ever have to put them back to DVD or at least anytime soon.
    I've got around 200 DVD's so as you can imagine thats going to take up quite a bit of space.

5. SSB

SSB Member

Ok I ran it through Dr.DIVX and it seemed to be working fine until it got to 5 minutes then it faded to black and white and paused while the speech kept going. If I try and skip further the movie starts again but the speech is badly out of sync!

What did I do wrong?

6. jony218

jony218 Guest

What could be wrong is your input files, if you have them ripped with dvddecryter they might have "extra frames" still on them. My advice is to try and open them with dvdshrink(free). If dvdshrink can't open them (it produces navigation errors), then the files were not properly decoded.

You can try and run those files through "Fixvts"(free) make sure you check the box to process the Full" dvd. Fixvts will remove all the "extra frames" that are left over from the rip. Next try and open the files again in dvdshrink.

Incidently I use dr.divx 2.0 to convert my episodic DVD's and it works great for that, but you can also use fairuse wizard, but it's not as easy on episodic dvd's. As long as the "doctor" has properly ripped VOB files to work with, the sync should be good. I haven't encountered any audio problems when using dr.divx 2.0. But if your files are good and you still get audio sync problems I would try fairuse wizard.

Dvddecryter is an obsolete program for ripping dvd's, at one time it was the best available. Everyone here in the forums uses dvdfabHDdecryter(free) it handles all the latest dvd's and works great. You don't have to worry about "direct stream or demux" just choose the full dvd or only movie and press "start" and you get a good rip.

7. SSB

SSB Member

Is there something I could have ticked/missed in DVD Decrypter that would cause this problem?

I'm really keen to solve the problems I'm having with my current programs rather than downloading anymore.

Also is WINAVI definately useless to me in terms of creating AVI/DIVX files? My friend uses DVD Decrypter and WinAVI with ease but he has no idea why it wont work for me.

8. jony218

jony218 Guest

The problem with dvd decryter is that it doesn't decode the latest DVD's. If the DVD files you rip have any "extra frames" on them, they will produce DVD's that don't play correctly and when you try to convert them, those "extra frames" will produce audio/sync problems.

This the only thing I use (all free) and it works on all the latest DVD's.
    1. dvdfabHDdecrypter (backup to ISO)
    2. fairuse wizard lite (to convert ISO to xvid)

Winavi is good for converting mpeg to avi, but even with a good ripped dvd vob files the audio would sometimes go out of sync. The quality also was substandard. But I admit that no other program is quicker than Winavi.

9. SSB

SSB Member

Ok I'll try those instead, thanks for all your help.

If this for some reason fails would you advise just using DVD Decrypter to backup my DVD's into single VOB files and not bothering with converting them? Like I said these play fine in VLC play I just keep getting problems trying to convert them.

10. jony218

jony218 Guest

If you are going to use dvddecrypter to do all your rips, after you rip the files. open those files up in dvdshrink. If dvdshrink can analyze them, then you have a good rip.

If dvdshrink cannot open them (it produces navigation errors), run those files through fixvts to fix the files.

I always use dvdshrink to test my ripped files to see if they are in a format that will convert to avi with no problems.

11. zipptide

zipptide Member

just stumbled upon the thread , but i really dont see you getting a clean rip using Decrypter , Not from a newer titled dvd.

First and foremost you must have a Clean rip ,not is the same has leaving your house without any pants, yOur a** out period. Second let the Decrypter rest in peace... let it go and move on. dvdfab FTW

i would given i havent really messed with it in awhile and not really sure on all the new tweaks available on DVDfab

1 rip the whole dvd if you need more one title
    2 dvd shrink to separate the titles into indvisual Video TS,s
    3 i would would just use winavi unless something faster was out there.

With a few teaks i find nothings better then winavi. I fined its fine when you use a regular xvid decoder.not the built in one and not a divx one

Agian i really havent used dr divx that much it really wasnt to my liking.

in the end its really a personal choice ,however decryter is just a waste of time.

12. SSB

SSB Member

I tried running an episode of Family Guy through dvdfabHDdecrypter but it just gives me a folder with a couple of BUB and IFO files and the episode itself as a VOB file. Again this itself plays fine but it is not recognised by fairuse wizard lite to convert it to Xvid.

I also tried running it through winavi just incase and it STILL had subtitles.

13. jony218

jony218 Guest

When you use dvdfabdecrypter, you need to backup as an ISO instead of folders. Fairuse wizard only recognizes DVD files that are inside an ISO.

You can also use dvdshrink to convert those dvd folders to an ISO. that's how I usually do it.

14. SSB

SSB Member

How do you do that? I didn't see an option for it or can it only be done through DVDshrink?

15. jony218

jony218 Guest

with dvdfabdecrypter, it's going to be in the box (picture of a cd) in the "target" line. That will determine if it's going to backup as a folder or ISO. Just remember if you backup as an ISO it'll be the same size as the source (not downsize with the free version) so it probably won't fit on a normal dvd if you plan to burn the ISO.

If you use dvdshrink, when you choose backup, it'll give you an option of folders or ISO.

I ususally decrypt with dvdfab as a folder output, then I shrink it with dvdshrink. This way I can burn a backup that will fit on a dvd, and then convert the ISO to Xvid. It's an extra step but DVDshrink works pretty quick, most take less than 10 minutes to shrink down to size.

16. SSB

SSB Member

Ok thanks I think I've FINALLY got it sorted now!

I just did an episode of Family Guy, it took a while but its given me an AVI files that plays perfectly. Its 702MB is that ok? It seemed a little large to me. I didn't bother running it through DVDshrink though.

17. jony218

jony218 Guest

fairuse wizard (free version) default output size is 700mb. It won't let you specify a larger size because thats only available in the paid version, but you might want to see if it will let you specify a smaller file size in the "video encodings" box.

And since your doing episodic rips, you might also check the box that says "use tv display mode".

18. SSB

SSB Member

Is the free version no good for full movies? I just did Pirates of the Carriben 3 but it gave me a quite a small windowed movie and when I try and put it into full screen it is fairly poor quality. Is there something I could have ticked wrong?

19. SSB

SSB Member

Or is it because I didn't run it through DVDshrink first?

You've already been a big help jony218 but you wouldn't happen to have a link to a step-by-step walkthrough for using these three programs would you?