1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with new games (Driver issues?)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by googleygareth, Mar 30, 2013.

1. googleygareth

googleygareth Member

I'm having a number of issues running newer games on my machine. For example, I am currently trying to play Bioshock Infinite, and the game runs absolutely fine on the highest settings for 2 or 3 minutes, before the screen displays a solid colour (Usually dependent on what area I'm playing through, for example, there are a few grey coloured statues around, when it freezes the screen turns grey)

When the freezes occur the sound often continues without error, but the system does not seem to respond to alt tab, ctrl + alt + Del, or anything else. I suspect since the sound is still running, that it is simply the graphics output that has turned unresponsive.

I'm guessing that some kind of driver conflict or direct x problem is causing this. I tried turning the settings on Bioshock Infinite to the minimum (To take away direct x 11 effects etc), and updated my drivers to the latest versions as far as I can tell, but the problem persists.

I guess my question is, can anyone either shed some light on this, or advise me on how to completely clear and reinstall the drivers/directx that might be causing the problem?

I also have the same issue with crysis 3 in about the same time frame, but it happens very very rarely with TF2 (It has been weeks since it has had problems with TF2). Funnily enough, Dead Space 3 had no issues whatsoever.

System specs are:
    Asus PBZ77-m
    ATI Radeon HD7850
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
    Intel i5 3570k 3.40Ghz
    8GB Ram

Help appreciated.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try that card in another computer even a friend's to see if still does it as might be the card is going bad. are you using the latest amd driver for that card & not microsoft?

3. googleygareth

googleygareth Member

I've tried a bunch of times to clear the drivers completely and install them from scratch.

My latest attempt involved uninstalling the amd drivers through the installer program, this seemingly is successful. I then boot into safe mode and run driver cleaner and notice that several amd components are still seemingly there. I removed these. I then get the whole "Cannot initialize detection software" when attempting to install fresh drivers on safe mode (It is something to do with safe mode specifically)

I get a few problems booting into regular windows, but after uninstalling/disabling the graphics card in add/remove programs, I can then boot into regular windows. However, as soon as windows is loaded, windows seems to automatically "install" the graphics card. I then install the AMD drivers, which seemingly works, but the problem persists.

Should I do this again, and prevent windows "Installing" the card, in case there are conflicts, or should this not be a problem?