1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It kinda works.... what did I miss

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by fred_ohh, May 23, 2003.

1. fred_ohh

fred_ohh Member

Hey all... ok something wierdness is going down and I can't quite figure out what.

I've ripped 2 movies (star wars 2 and K-19) and kept just the main content (no menus, extras...) I then demuxed the video and audio streams using VOBedit (latest version), then used ReMpeg (latest version) to lower the bitrate. I then used VOBedit to save the cell times to a text file. I used IFOedit to remux the transcoded m2v and ac3 file along with the cell times into a new series of vobs. I then reloaded the whole thing into IFOedit again and did the get VTS thing. I burned it using the DX recoder software that came with my pioneer A-04 (no firmware upgrade). The final works on my PC but on my set top DVD player.. it starts playing fine... then after about a minute.. the video and audio gets a little screwy (blocky) and then the movie skips to a new scene that is about 30 seconds to a minute ahead. Has anyone ever seen this sort of thing happen? I tried 2 different movies and they both gave me the same thing.

Anyone?

2. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

why are some people always trying to ice skate uphill. All you have to do is rip the original DVD with DVD Decrypter in file mode make sure to select all the files. use DVD2one to shrink it down to 4.36GB use nero to burn. I have done about 50 movies and have had no problems.

3. melw

melw Guest

Carlitob, couldn't agree more.....Sometimes the simplest way is also the best way. !!!

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

BACK to your original question....

You are going through several process here, demux, re-encode, remux and burn.

BEFORE you burn, have you played it back through your pc, if it plays OK then u can assume rempeg has done it's thing.

The problem may lie within ifoedit, this has to create the EXACT structure/pointers/sector layout to guide the laser to the correct areas.

Now from my experience with ifoedit, I never went down the re-encoding route, I just stripped everthing to reduce it and had no problems, so I never tried to manually insert cell times etc.

Also more importantly, the problem may just come down to bad media, try a different brand/burn at a slower speed etc.

Finally, I do agree with carlitob and melw.

What your doing is the 'original method' before the genius software was available.
    I would definately recommend to try dvdshrink/dvd2one, these process are capable of doing exactly what you are doing - easier and very much quicker.

Try dvdshrink here available as a free dw/l.

Hope this helps....

5. fred_ohh

fred_ohh Member

Well ACTUALLY, I've tried using DVDShrink on both these rips. It worked on K-19 for the better part until the last 1% then it crashed and for Star Wars 2, it didn't even work. Now keep in mind I just ripped the main content of both these movies to my hard drive.

This doesn't seem to be a problem with the media. I'm using OPTODISC and I've read nothing bad about it. Is there something specific that needs to be done when transcoding an MPEG2? Like I've tried transcoding other MPEG 1 files into MPEG 2 for play back on my DVD player and the same thing would happen.. that is... the video plays and every couple of minutes, it would screw up and it would skip to a different scene. Does the bitrate have to be some proportional number or can it be any arbitruary number? I think I should get an MPEG analysis tool.

6. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I use DVDshrink alot. I have not had any trouble or problems with any movie that I have backed up yet. I use verbatim 2x dvd+r's. They work great.

Matt

7. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

Just commenting on the newer solutions as compared to the old, they may be faster, but they can not hold their own quality wise to a professional mpeg encoder like cce, the old method DOES take time, but, if proper encoders are used, the video quality is better than dvd2one/dvdshrink. Not to say that dvd2one is crap, but the old method can yield a little better quality with the sacrifice of speed, i've tried both methods and do prefer to use dvd2one, but noone should just burn someone for going a different way. Especially one that has been tested in many different configurations and is known to produce the same or better quality backups.

8. fred_ohh

fred_ohh Member

Ok well, I took the same VOB set I've been working with all this time and tried doing the process using DVD2ONE and I'm STILL getting video problems. Every so often, the video would break up... sometimes the movie continues playing, other times it skips to another scene that is many minutes ahead. This doesn't seem to happen on the PC playback though.

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Everythings pointing to suspect media, this problem very rarely shows up during playback on a pc.

Standalones can be fussy when it comes to playing burned media and not commercial (pressed) ones.

Try a different media brand - ritek r known to be quite stable.

10. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

youre problem might be here. when you rip the movie rip all the files not just the movie files.

11. fred_ohh

fred_ohh Member

A little addition to my last message is that I played the movie on my PC and it would screw up in SOME of the same spots as my set top player but not nearly as much.

I use Optodisc as my media and it always seemed to be well talked about.

12. fred_ohh

fred_ohh Member

ok so I found the problem.. it's these cheap piece of crap Optodiscs I'm using. Now I heard there are better ones on the market now but the ones I'm using are the ones with the labels on them.

13. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I am in the uk and use www.blankdiscshop.co.uk for ALL my media.

Try and find some with the ritek brand g03/g04 -these are reportedly better for solving issues like yours - darker burning surface.