1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It reads but fails to write

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by jah711, Mar 13, 2007.

1. jah711

jah711 Regular member

I'm using Win XP Pro, Nero Express 6. Just recently I was able to read and write with the burner I have Lite-On Combo SOHC-5236V. Now I can't burn. It keeps giving me an error message "Burn Process Failed". But it reads with no problem. Even installs programs from it. Why won't it burn? I tried all different types of files to burn and I still get the same error message. I even updated the firmware. Still nothing burns.

2. onya

onya Guest

You posted that you use Nero, but what exactly are you tring to burn? and what other software are you using? What media type are you using? Please post as much info as possible.

3. jah711

jah711 Regular member

I'm using Memorex DVD+R with NERO. No other burning program is installed. I have been using these for years and never had a problem. I even use these CD's And DVD's with the same burner I am speaking of now. I tried burning regular files, documents, videos, MP3's, no matter what type of file it is-it still gives me that message. To clarify the message...it's "Burn Process Failed at 4X" Where 2X and 4X are the only 2 choices available and 2X failed as well.
    Now as we speak.....Nero is reading the drive as a CD-R/RW. This wasn't there before...it was DVD-R/RW. Now it won't even take DVD's.
    Is this thing busted or is a setting that went off to another world?

4. onya

onya Guest

Sounds like something has gone walkabouts for sure. Try the following, use a cd lens cleaner, these are widely available and relatively cheap. Next shut down your pc, remove the left side cover and unplug both the power and ide/ata cabeling from the optic drive. Make a full restart and delete the drivers associated with that drive. Shut down the pc once more, and reconnect the power and ribbon cable. Finally restart your pc, and windows will now detect new hardware and install a driver. Open nero and click on nero info tool, this will now scan for software and hardware it needs. Burn a new project as you normally would, and all hopefully, will be well.

5. jah711

jah711 Regular member

OK...I deleted the drivers associated with the burners as you stated:
    cdrom.sys
    imapi.sys
    redbook.sys
    storprop.dll
    Now they aren't being detected at all. There's a yellow exclamation sign next to each one in the device manager. Win will not install the drivers, I can't disable or remove the drives because Win doesn't detect anything/drivers associated with them. I can only pull the plug and power on them to get rid of them. Now what do I do?

6. onya

onya Guest

So you've done the shut down....unplug and restart thing?

"cdrom.sys
    imapi.sys
    redbook.sys
    storprop.dll"

Where did you find these files?

7. jah711

jah711 Regular member

Yes....did exactly what you told me. The files were located as follows:

C:\Windows\system32\driver\cdrom.sys
    imapi.sys
    redbook.sys

C:\Windows\system32\storprop.dll

8. onya

onya Guest

Can you put the system files back?

The next attempt would be to do a system restore, and go back far enough to a known good state. (this resore can be undone as you know)

9. jah711

jah711 Regular member

No...I already deleted them. (stupid mistake)
    And that's another issue I am dealing with, my system restore doesn't work everytime I try to use it. No matter what date I use it will not restore. It's always restore failed. Even when I reformatted the hard drive, restore will not work.

10. onya

onya Guest

It may be necessary to reformat again.

11. jah711

jah711 Regular member

Gotcha.....thnx