1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solved iTunes Burned MP3 Discs Won't Read

Discussion in 'General audio discussion' started by XtraCrisp, Nov 7, 2016.

1. XtraCrisp

XtraCrisp Member

My girlfriend has this issue that she's driving me nuts about. I hope someone can help me out.

She has an HP Omni 200-5480qd (All-in-one) running the latest Win10 (as of Nov '16). She will burn CDs in iTunes, both AAC and MP3 formats. The AAC discs read just fine in her computer. The MP3 discs work in her car just fine but when put back in the PC show up as blank media. I see no updates available for Win10 or through HP for her machine. Device Manager shows the CD drive is functional and that no driver updates are available. She says that the discs she burned are all the same brand and we've tried several just to make sure it wasn't a bad batch. She also claims this has always been an issue so I don't think it's a dirty drive lens.

Why would AAC discs read just fine and MP3 discs show up as blank (yet work elsewhere)?

2. XtraCrisp

XtraCrisp Member

Deleted/Uninstalled CD drive from Device Manager and rebooted. It's now working.

3. Mez

Mez Active member

I suggest your girl friend tries to move away from audio managers that DRM the music. Both iTunes and WMP DRM your music. This becomes an issue especially with WMP. In earlier version you were able to back up the DRMs separately now they have made that impossible. ITunes is better in providing you which your own licenses than Microfoft. I both cases it is a REAL pain. The only way to remove DRMs for free is to create audio CDs. Those CDs will lack licensing protection and can be used freely. They will work on someone else's device because they are not copy protected. If you computer crashs you may lose your licensing especially for non apple audio. Apple links licensing to your account so when you buy more audio it will renew your licensing if you have lost it. I contend DRMed audio and video it Apples and Microsoft's property that they let you use for a fee. None DRMs media is yours out right. That is the only way I keep it. Audio CDs use CDA files which are not DRMed. These will play anywhere and 'are yours not Apples or Microsofts'.

I have a sticky somewhere in an AD audio forum that discusses different juke boxes. I use Media Monkey. Media Monkey will not DRM any of your music. ITunes used to attack Media Monkey because it sees MM as a threat since it is a DRM free jukebox. You may not be able to have both software on the same computer for that reason. Apple used to make it look like MM is the problem. It would even lock its own software. I doubt that that has changed much. They may have eased up after where they permanently ruined thousands of ipods during one of their 'little tricks' they thought the users were trying to get around their licensing but in many cases the users had not done anything wrong. That caused a 'fire storm'. Still I contend it you use WMP or iTunes you are living at the mercy of those companies and they can take away your music privileges at the blink of an eye. You might not have done anything wrong.

Last edited: May 2, 2017