1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTunes, problem with GearSec.exe?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by foxfire01, Oct 19, 2003.

1. foxfire01

foxfire01 Member

As far as I know, I don't have anything that uses GearSec.exe, yet it's in my System processes. Does Apple iTunes use this file? I recently downloded the program and think it might be related to that. I don't use any other burning software except for Roxio. Thanks.

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

What does GearSec.exe have to do with iTunes? I too downloded the program and soo far it's running fine but I came accross a trusted website that some pc are crashing after installing iTunes. Word of advice, uninstall Roxio Easy CD Cre(a)mater as this burning program can cause aspi layer conflicts. I recommend burnatonce 0.99a , a freebie and very friendly user interface and very simple to use.

burnatonce 0.99a: http://www.burnatonce.com/downloads/
    ===============================================

Shortly after Apple launched their Windows version of their iTunes software, they have served a large number of downloads of their Windows software. There also has been a lot of mixed reactions from the software ranging from a lot of positive reactions to several complaints of bugs. Apple has not announced any download figures so far.

The Windows software is proving popular among Mac users and many reckon that there has not been any Windows software as good as the Macintosh's iTunes up until now. While Apple say that they are having a lot of positive reactions and reviews from users, there are many Windows 2000 Pro users that have a different story after finding that their PC no longer boots up following the installation of iTunes. During the start-up of Windows 2000, the progress meter reaches the middle and crashes. Other complaints include iTunes reorganising the user's music collection to new folders.

According to Apple, the bootup problem with Windows 2000 can be resolved by going into the Windows safe mode by holding shift during the Windows start-up and uninstalling the iTunes software. Also, iTunes should not reorganise the user’s music collection with its default settings.

A large number of Windows users have jumped at the chance to try Apple Computer's iTunes jukebox software--and reactions are ranging from unabashed praise to complaints of bugs.

Apple won't say how many people have downloaded the free software, but an executive said that it has been extremely popular since Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced it Thursday.

"The downloads have been going full tilt constantly," said Peter Lowe, Apple's director of marketing for applications and services. "We've been delivering a lot of Windows software over the last 24 hours."

The company's support discussion boards were filled with praise, concern over glitches and the usual gripes over what wasn't included--in this case, support for additional music formats and digital music players beyond Apple's own iPod.

Many of those who have downloaded the software were Mac users of iTunes and said they were glad to be able to run the same software on Windows machines they used either at work or at home.

"I've been using iTunes at work for a couple years now and love it. However, I have never found anything nearly as good for Windows until now," said Keith Hanlon, a freelance musician who also works in marketing and Web design for a drum store in Columbus, Ohio. "I am thrilled that iTunes for Windows is exactly the same as the Mac version."

However, not everyone has been so happy with their iTunes experience on the PC. One of the most serious complaints came from a number of Windows 2000 Professional users, who said installing iTunes appeared to crash their machines.

In order for Windows 2000 to fail during start-up, it would generally need to be the result of a driver or service problem. I don't know of any Windows audio software apart from Windows Media Player that uses system services. Then again, iTunes may have to install a CD-Burning system process in order to support recording music to CDs; like how Nero requires a system process for its CD-Burning support.

I find that on many machines, the Windows 2000 safe mode only works if networking support is enabled. To enter the safe mode with networking support, press F8 just before the Windows 2000 start-up logo or just after the PC goes 'beep', and then select the option to enter the safe mode with network support.

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd
    DVD-ROM: LiteOn LTD 165H
    CDRW: Memorex52MAXX 2452[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2003
  3. foxfire01

foxfire01 Member

I'm using with Windows XP Pro, and so far (2 days) haven't had any problems. I'm assuming any driver conflicts/boot issues would have shown right away? I guess GearSec.exe is a system process for burning...

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I too am using Windoze XP Pro but I just use iTunes for a jukebox if you will. Maybe try another burning program to burn your music and do as I do? Click start>search>search all files and folders and type in GearSec.exe. Is it in Program Files? If so is there a uninstall?

freebie burnatonce 0.99a
    http://www.burnatonce.com/downloads/

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd
    DVD-ROM: LiteOn LTD 165H
    CDRW: Memorex52MAXX 2452[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2003
  5. 6XGate

6XGate Member

I am running XP Pro with iTunes installed with no problem. I can tell anyone for sure that GearSec.exe is the process for buring and copy CD audio as stated by the iTunes software itself after disabling. I think apple needs to allow the user to disable this feature, as I use Nero for buring and importing CD audio.