1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTunes won't recognize iPod Classic

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by MeliLing, Jul 14, 2012.

1. MeliLing

MeliLing Member

Hi Guys,

I have an old iPod Classic 5th Generation 80GB Model MA450LL. I haven't used it in ages, but still have some music, videos and my address book on it. Everything seems to work fine so I decided to sell the iPod on ebay. When I tried to restore it to factory settings I realized that it won't connect to iTunes. I don't care about saving the data on it, in contrary I want to make sure that all the info is deleted (especially my address book) so that I can sell it.
    I pretty much tried everything that I could find on the web so far. Tried to connect different usb ports, I updated iTunes to latest software 10.6.3 (I'm running on Lion) I put the iPod in Disk Mode and then tried to connect again, but nothing.
    If i connect to my mac first and then open iTunes, iTunes freezes and I have to force quit.

Is there anything else I can try to restore the iPod to factory settings??
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

3. MeliLing

MeliLing Member

I have tried literary every single thing is that article... any other suggestions? Could it be that iPod Classic 5th gen is just not compatible with OSX Lion??

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Have you tried a different cable or clean the contacts? Just a remote possibility. It can't hurt to try.

5. MeliLing

MeliLing Member

Thank for your reply. Yes I checked cables and also tried different ones...

6. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

7. hanoobal

hanoobal Regular member

Was the iPod used with a Windows machine previously? It might also be possible that the hard-disk is damaged. Sometimes, iPods with damaged disk continue to operate normally, at least seemingly.

8. Mez

Mez Active member

How does plugging into a computer damage the hard disk? You Apple users believe in computer magic. There have been routines in itunes from time to time that turn off features on your ipod if you transfer tunes to and from more than one computer. Oh and by the way ipods don't work if the hard disk is damaged. They are dead then.

It is just as likely Meiling is correct.

9. hanoobal

hanoobal Regular member

Hm, not sure about that. Sectors of an iPod hard drive may very much be physically damaged and the iPod could still behave as normal. In the best-case scenario the file system on the iPod could have become corrupt during an unsafe disconnect. This will not damage the hard disk but could still bring about the issue MeLing described.

More about failing iPod hard disk issues from this Apple Community thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3784647?start=0&tstart=0

10. Mez

Mez Active member

The file system is different, software can screw them up and if you stop written before a file is closed that will damage the file.

The Wikipedia S.M.A.R.T. article may be correct for apple disks but I have a utility that will fix bad blocks. It finds blocks that are going to fail and 'sharpens' them up. It will re-shape bad blocks. You do not get the data back from bad blocks but the OS normally moves the data before the block is unreadable. The application was made by Seagate and would not repair WD disks.

11. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ipod/five_rs/classic/ had to hold play and home on my ipod 160gb toggle the hold switch 5 times
    basically resets faulty software, might be worth trying i forces a reboot, unlike turning it on and off it restarts all the software

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013