1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'v somehow labled my dvd disk drive to 'over the hedge' + cant undo it

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by mub6, Nov 26, 2006.

1. mub6

mub6 Regular member

hi
    lately iv been doing allot of work in trying to burn this movie to a disk, the movie is fine but now,in my computer it always shows my dvd writer drive labelled as a dvd movie over the hedge. So i click on properties of that drive and try to relabel it around the top of that window, when i type in what it was previously called (DVD-ROM) it says 'the volume label is not valid please enter a valid label'
    does anybody know how to fix this
    Thanx in advance

2. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

I can honestly say that this problem is completely new to me, but what I would recommend is to do the following: First uninstall the drive from device manager, then shut down and disconnect the drive from the system. Next boot once with it disconnected, and then shut down, reconnect the drive and power it back up. See if that doesn't fix it.

3. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

IVe had that happen several times to me. Cant remember what caused specifically - DVDDecrypter,ImgBurn,AnyDVD.

Ive always just removed the troublesome DVDROM/DVDBurner via Device Manager and rebooted.Let Windows find the hardware and install the drivers. Oughta solve the problem.

Also, might wanna make sure next tyme you shut down DVDecrypter,ImgBurn,AnyDVD properly. Sometymes Windows XP x64 refuses to acknowledge that my DVDROM is empty and does what your's is - refusing to revert back to its original label.

4. mub6

mub6 Regular member

hey sadjoker,
    i did what you said and now when i open up my computer the dvd rom drive just doesnt show, i went into properties and its enabled and everything but it just doesnt show in my computer
    can somebody help me out

5. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

You can name your DVD/USB or other drives specifically...which may solve the issue. Unlike the properties of the hard drives where you can label them, other drives do not have that option. However, this registry key will name them. Found this tweak in PC Magazine, page 128 - Oct issue.

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Explorer\DriveIcons

There, you will see the drive letters associated with each drive, hard drives included.

Right click on the drive letter's main key (for instance D is your DVD drive), go to NEW, Key. Enter the name of the new key as:

DefaultLabel

In the right hand side, right click the Default entry key, go to Modify and name the drive.

Here's what ours looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  6. mub6

mub6 Regular member

nah thanx for going through all that trouble but its no longer a case of renaming the drive, i now actually need to physically see the dvd rom icon in my computer after following the advice in the first reply

7. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

When you gave your first reply you said it was SadJoker's advice you followed, so I'll assume that was what you did. What I would recommend to do from here is to boot the computer into safe mode and open device manager, and Remove the device completely, just right click it and hit uninstall. Then boot into normal mode and windows should detect and set up the drive for use.

8. bkf

bkf Guest

After checking and checking and re checking that all the cables are seated on both the drive and motherboard!!!! As in the 4 conductor power cable and the 40 pin IDE ribbon cable. Check for bent pins as well on the drive. You do not need to be in safe mode to do this nor unplug any cables to blow away and reload the drivers. Actually it's better if you do not as the other programs you have may not load all their drivers for the drive. When a drive jumps into PIO tranfer mode this is what you have to do to get it back into DMA mode. In your case it was a stuck name change. I don't know if this will change the name but it will get the drive back. I can't stress enough re check those connectors carefully!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2006
  9. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

If what he said is correct then he never disconnected the drive, though doublechecking the ribbons would be a good idea anyway. As far as removing it from safe mode this isn't to delete any drivers, this is to FORCE windows to completely redetect the drive and hopefully fix both problems at the same time.

10. bkf

bkf Guest

Hi Magus: When I have to do it I uninstall the entire secondary ide channel. (removes the drives as well in one action) Both my burners are on it. After a reboot I watch XP reinstall the channel then the two drives. Got to say though never had a name stuck. That's weird. Might be necessary to edit the registry to remove the drive entries. XP has a nasty habit of remembering everything. I swapped out a dead plextor for a benq once but the plextor was still in the reg along with the new drive.

11. mub6

mub6 Regular member

the wires are in properly because i uninstalled the drive, then went into add new hardware izard and it detected it by itself, so that isnt a problem its just the case that it wont show up in my computer, even when i go into hardware properties then i can still mess about with the drives properties but yep you guessed it, i just cant see it in my computer ill try to re-un-install it and then restart my pc to see if it detects it auomatically
    will reply in a bit

12. bkf

bkf Guest

We will be here, There are many tricks to use.

Everything should be automatic. XP should do all the work. You should not need to touch anything after the uninstall and reboot.

Slim chance is the drive died at your first post, if so not being able to talke to it the name would be the last entry.

You have four IDE channels. You can also try moving it to one of the other channels making sure the master / slave jumper is in the correct position. This is all easy but to do it in text can take awhile. In person 2 or 3 minutes

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2006
  13. mub6

mub6 Regular member

well what do you know
    i was just about to uninstall the drive when i accidently opened my computer, and it was just sat there, like it wasnt yesterday.
    but its not all good news i tested to see if it works, i put a cd in it and it wont autoplay nor will the dvd-ram icon change although i can open its contents and manually click on the AUTOPLAY icon to get it started. Iv just realised this is what the probblem was when i burnt the dvd 'over the hedge' it didnt autoplay, so i thought it was a problem with my burn thats why i messed around with it so much and probably ended up renaming the drive in the first place.
    anyway, so how do i get it to autoplay again

14. bkf

bkf Guest

Right click on the drive, propetries, autoplay. Tell it what to do with each disc type. Better yet get the free tweekit from microsoft. That works great

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

You want Tweak UI but the rest of the tools are cool also.

Side note: Most people have autoplay turned off. Thats how that sony rootkit got it's start. In autoplay the computer does what ever the .INF file tells it to do including loading things like the sony rootkit.

Glad it's starting to work out for you! Remember computers are fun lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2006
  15. mub6

mub6 Regular member

i've set the autoplay to 'prompt me each time to perform an action'
    but the stupid thing won't even do that.
    if its any help to you to help me, this problem with not autostarting started after i rebooted my system, thus wiping out my sp2 could that be the problem
    ill try this tweekit anyway and what is this sony rootkit, is it what im supposed to download i'll visit that link for now anyway
    thanx for replying

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  16. mub6

mub6 Regular member

i recieve an error message when trying to open the tweak ui install file saying that its not a valid win32 file

17. Rendering

Rendering Guest

@mub6

You don't want the Sony rootkit installed on your computer. It is not something you download. It originated on certain music CD's that were under the Sony and BMG labels. Its purpose is not good, as it acts like spyware once it is on your computer. Sony was pressured (sued) into discontinuing its use.

18. mub6

mub6 Regular member

lol ok thanks anyway do you know how i can get this tweakui thing to work it says summat like not a win 32 application

19. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

Sounds like your download went bad, just try redownloading the software.

20. mub6

mub6 Regular member

tryed that is there any other way i can fix this file or to fix the autoplay in general