1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've deleted solitare on my dads laptop and he wants it back.

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by robvam, Jan 19, 2008.

1. robvam

robvam Member

I've deleted solitare on my dads laptop and he wants it back. Can someone please email me a copy of the standard solitare game that is included on windows xp. Thanks a million, rob. My email is ***removed***

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. varnull

varnull Guest

You can't really ever delete it..

Use the Add & Remove Programs in control panel and click on Windows Components. From there you can add/remove Windows features and extras easily.

please read the rules.. I found this thread because my email scanner bleeped..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2008
  3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Email address removed. Forum Rules are in my signature.
    What you've probably done is what my kids tend to do (little fingers can never leave shortcuts alone), and that's deleted or moved the Solitaire icon. Just in case that's what you've done the Solitaire program is sol.exe in c:\windows\system32. Or just use varnull's suggestion

4. robvam

robvam Member

Great thanks, i tried to search for solitare but it found nothing. Thats cool its in system 32, problem solved. Thanks. Sorry bout the email address. Rob

5. DrShadow

DrShadow Member

I have a similar problem - I formatted my laptop with an optimized version of XP, which to my dismay has the games removed from the installation.

I have several copies of the full version of XP, but I don't know how to install the games from it (without having to completely re-install Windows again)

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

6. creaky

7. DrShadow

DrShadow Member

Is Sol.* just solitaire? If so what's spider solitaire and minesweeper?

8. creaky

Spider Solitaire - spider.exe
    Freecell - freecell.exe
    Pinball - pinball.exe
    Hearts - hearts.exe
    Minesweeper - winmine.exe

what i don't know is whether you need to extract other files along with those above...

9. DrShadow

DrShadow Member

Thank you.
    You do, there's 3 files - On the windows disk they're *.ch_ *.ex_ and *.hl_ ... I'm guessing I could just copy the files and rename them, ie *.ex_ to *exe, but what on earth ar the *.ch_ and *.hl_? And would it work?

10. creaky

as far as i remember you have to cab extract them properly; many years since i've done that though; try some googling maybe..

11. varnull

varnull Guest

Aww c'mon.. Making this very hard people.. If you just copy the files into the system32 folder they will need manually registering.

Open control panel > add/remove programs > windows components > games..click the box..

It will ask for the xp disk so put it in..

..wait for it to finish (a matter of seconds) and you're done..

12. DrShadow

DrShadow Member

I would do that except there's one problem... There isn't an option for games on the add/remove windows components =/

13. varnull

varnull Guest

Are you logged in as administrator?

as a non windows user (because it's crap) I forgot to state the absolute obvious.. accessories and utilities > details..

If you choose games and details again you can even pick which games to install/uninstall ;)

yup.. I have read the xp administrators handbook about 6 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  14. DrShadow

DrShadow Member

Once again I am sad to inform that such an option isn't there - It just has Accessories, and the details of that is calculator and character map...
    ._.
    Damn you Windows

15. varnull

varnull Guest

How to Add or Remove Games in Windows XP
    1. With the Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
    3. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
    4. In the Windows Components Wizard, click Accessories and Utilities (the words, not the check box), and then click Details.
    5. Use the appropriate method.
    • If the Games check box is not checked (no games are installed), and you want to install all of the games, click to select the Games check box, click OK, and then click Next.
    • If the Games check box is not checked (no games are installed), and you want to install one or more of the games, click Games (the word, not the check box), and then click to select the check boxes for the games you want to install. Click OK, click OK, and then click Next.
    • If the Games check box is checked and the background of the check box is white (all games are installed), and you want to uninstall all of the games, click to clear the Games check box, click OK, and then click Next.
    • If the Games check box is checked and the background of the check box is white (all games are installed), and you want to uninstall only some of the games, click Games (the word, not the check box), and then click to clear the check boxes for the games you want to uninstall. Click OK, click OK, and then click Next.
    • If the Games check box is checked and the background of the check box is gray (one or more games are installed), and you want to uninstall all of the games, click to clear the Games check box, click OK, and then click Next.
    • If the Games check box is checked and the background of the check box is gray (one or more games are installed), and you want to uninstall only some of the games, click Games (the word, not the check box), and then click to clear the check boxes for the games you want to uninstall. Click OK, click OK, and then click Next.
    By default, Windows XP includes FreeCell, Hearts, Minesweeper, Pinball, Solitaire, and Spider Solitaire

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

That is how it's done.. if the options are not there then you have broken xp more than you think and it will probably need a recovery/repair install.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008
  16. DrShadow

DrShadow Member

The option doesn't come up at all... >>;
    Hmm....
    Gah x.x