1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Java applet problems

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by takemyars, Apr 25, 2004.

1. takemyars

takemyars Member

Hi, dont know if any1 will be able to help with this cos i cant find any info by searching the web. A couple of weeks ago something went wrong with my comp and it had to restore to an earlier known good point. Since then i havent been able to use any java applets like in chat rooms and games, which worked fine b4 hand. I have tried everything suggested, checking my java settings in IE, and tried downloading a new version of java, but still no success. Can any1 suggest anything that might help with this? Thanks if u can

2. haloplyr

haloplyr Member

I have excactly the same problem, my computer recently went down and had to be started up again through computer settings as windows wouldnt start, the next day i realised i was unable to use applets or java files! all i get is a grey block. Need help!

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

Do you have the Java Plug-in Control in your Control Panel? Check under the Advanced tab to be sure you are using the correct version of Java and that it is enabled for your browser.

If you have to reinstall Java, make sure you remove it all, delete the Java dir in Program Files, also get the cache file in C:\Documents and Settings\"username"\.jpi_cache. If a .jar file or something was corrupt it might still be there after an uninstall/reinstall if you do not manually remove all of the files.

You can tell what version you are running by going to a command prompt and typing java -version

4. takemyars

takemyars Member

Have tried those tips but still no joy. Im beginning to think its a lost cause as I seem to have tried every piece of advice i can find on the subject.

5. haloplyr

haloplyr Member

I have tried the advice but i did'nt understand the C:\documents and settings\"username"\.jpi_cache bit, i removed every bit of java i could see, then visited the game i wanted to play, instead of the java logo (you know the one with a red square, orange circle and red square in a white box) in the corner i had a red square and a messeage asking me to install the java console, i did and it still does'nt work i have java installed ( i think )and its just the java corner logo again!!! HELP ME! :)
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]www.runescape.com
    it were propa bo i tell thee!![/small]

Last edited: May 2, 2004
  6. haloplyr

haloplyr Member

sorry to double post but...

takemyars, did you have to go back to a save point because of a virus, and if so have you recently installed some virus protection programs as a new precaution, if so.. which ones?

7. takemyars

takemyars Member

No i didnt have any viruses or anything, just 1 day i turned it on and it said there had been an error and it needed to restore it to a previous point. Its really bugging me now!!

8. wildsabre

wildsabre Member

i am soooo glad im not the only one with this problem.. i have tried the same things .. i have also asked around.. someone i know said it was to do with java and tried to help me but they had no luck.. i have tried lots of things. virus checks..internet settings.. uploading java sun..but nothing work.. i think if someone can help it would be great .. help us plzzzzzzzz

9. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2004