1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jdobbs Has Gone Over The Top This Time!

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Mr-Movies, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

jdobbs has gotten way carried away with his new machine ID dependant registration key method and says we shouldn't worry until it is too late, isn't that stupid because when it's too late IT'S TO LATE!

Here are the last two posts that pretty much explain the whole long thread.

====================================
    [bold]Ron Spencer[/bold]

"The downloaded key is personalized to your unique computer via
    a computed "System ID" and your registered e-mail address. It
    will not work on other computers. If you need to run DVD-RB on
    other computers for your personal use, you must use the Reg-RB
    utility (included) to generate a unique system id and key for
    other system(s). "

"Your registered e-mail address is limited to a total of five (5)
    unique system IDs."

Sorry to see this...it is a shame, especially for those with one system who change alot of stuff all the time for fun as a hobby. This will create issues and will double the efforts for the cracker folks.

Oh well...I am not pleased, but that is my opinion only.

I do not mind downloading a key (I admit I was not clear on this)...but it should work on any machine I have without having to get another key. It seems to me he has changed the licensing schema under us. This is like DVDRemake now.

Pity....

Response (lame if you ask me)
    [bold]jdobbs[/bold]

Sorry. I'd suggest you send a nastygram to a hacker...

I'd also suggest you wait until you have a problem before you complain about it. You don't know what comprises the System ID or whether it will ever change yet.

If he continues to be like this and force me to us the internet to install the program every time I need to. Plus when he goes away like so many have what do you do then or if his server is down and you need to install now. Or if you have a computer not hooked up to the internet and want to use it like I do. With this type of PC ID approach of protection the user is the one getting screwed and if he continues I hope he does get hacked. I had great respect for jdobbs before this but if he continues I will stop supporting him.

Extremely Unhappy!

Here is the link to the original thread:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=94912

2. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

I've never had an issue with DVD-RB's key mechanism. Of course, I guess I don't really have a need to put mine on multiple computers....I'm willing to bet *most* people don't have that need. Except people who want to illegally distribute it. Just being real.

All I really have to say is....keep doing what you do, jdobbs. Most everybody appreciates it. Thanks for making DVD-RB in the first place. Seriously, DVD-RB isn't just some sucka ass program, it's easy to see it's your Mona Lisa.

3. crackys

crackys Guest

Well put malcdogg! Well put.

4. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I’m sorry to say this but your not seeing the big picture and it isn’t that he shouldn’t protect his program, he should but not at our (people who pay for the program) expense, and that has nothing to do with MOST people unless he goes away then NO ONE can re-install.

Others have tried this method of protection and it hasn’t bold well for them in the past. When you have issues it can be too late. So basically you can wear your blinders and not address all the issues but when the sh*t hits the fan it’s too late to start complaining about it.

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

This is actually very similar to the method dimad uses for DVDReMake protection and it's currently working very well for him (and for me as a registered owner). I don't see the problem. If you didn't have an internet connection you wouldn't have been able to get the program in the first place.

6. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

That's good to know I won't wast my time on that program even though it might be pretty good.

7. vurbal

With your attitude I'm sure that will be better for everyone. Jdobbs never said what you claim he did:
    What he said was:
    I think I know him well enough to interpret this statement to mean if there's a problem with this method he'll
    a) work with whoever is having the problem to get it resolved
    and
    b) rethink the exact implementation of the registration key if it seems to be a problem that a lot of people will have

8. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Those are exact quotes you can verify them by going to the link provided. Where do you get the attitude remark from, because I'm concerned and will not pay for inconvenient overly paranoid software protection schemes. Haven’t you seen how this blows up look at XCopy what happened there? You can hit some people with a hammer and they still don’t get it. I'm sorry you feel that way but I'm not surprised, common sense is sometimes lacking unfortunately.

9. vurbal

I get the attitude remark from your bad attitude and if you decide to get into a pissing contest with me don't bother. I'm not wasting my time. I didn't claim the quote wasn't accurate, just your interpretation. This is what I'm disputing:
    The only one who made that statement was you.
    You are indeed correct about that, however no amount of bludgeoning over the head is going to provide someone like you with any common sense. Despite that I'm going to prove you wrong by posting a couple of quotes from jdobbs within the last few hours regarding the registration system. These were made after 1.05 came out with the new system. First there's this one:
    Then after it was apparent some people weren't happy with the new system:
    So before you decide to make another nasty comment about jdobbs or anyone else here I'd recommend having some clue what you're talking about.

10. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Well I think you are the clueless one but I know it is a waste of time you'll never get it and I've been down this road with mods here before. I can explain this to others and they get it but not here, to bad so sad. As long as you’re happy that’s all that matters. But some day like I said when jdobbs is gone and you want to still use his program good luck to you, I can’t make it simpler than that and I’ve repeated it many time as well as Ron has stated.

11. andmerr

andmerr Guest

and what happened last time if you dont mind posting a link, always like to see the humour side of such debates.

Getting into pissing contests with the mods who we all respect isnt a great idea.In this case vurbal who is highly regarded is right you do seem to have an attitude.

Isnt there an easier way to get your point across with out this kind of sarcasm and flattery that you seem to be giving out for free .

And last but not least play nice gentleman, the eyes of the world are upon us................

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm not taking sides but I am a registered owner of dvdrebuilder pro and the key file installation tool does not work for me. I had to completely reinstall dvd-rb and then email jdobbs and he had to send me the key via email. I'm scared to death of downloading and installing any future updates. I never had any problems with the old method. I do luv the software.

13. vurbal

There's no question that there have been some problems (particularly with the update version) of 1.05. But just like I said, when people started having problems jdobbs decided to give people the keyfile alternative from previous versions for the next release. And if he were to cease development entirely I have no doubt he'd make it so it could easily be installed on any computer (and in fact probably make the entire thing freeware).